Wheelchairs & Transportation from airport?

MarieS

DIS Veteran
Both of my children use wheelchairs and can't transfer. What are my options for getting from the airport to our resort? Thanks!

Marie

You can use DME, they have room for 2 chairs. Or Mears they can also do 2 chairs. But DME would be free. :thumbsup2

pugdog said:
You can use DME, they have room for 2 chairs. Or Mears they can also do 2 chairs. But DME would be free. :thumbsup2

This is just the info I needed. We have never flown with them so this will be an adventure. Thanks!

Have a great time. Make sure you use the preboarding time. And are you flying with manual or power chairs? It will make a slight difference at the gate. Ask your questions now so that way when you get to the airport you will know what should happen and you trip should go without a hitch.

We aren't going until next year, but I'm starting to gather information. They have manual chairs.
Do you know if the Disney busses and DME use tiedowns like school busses do? Does the bus driver take care of all that?
Thanks!

MarieS said:
We aren't going until next year, but I'm starting to gather information. They have manual chairs.
Do you know if the Disney busses and DME use tiedowns like school busses do? Does the bus driver take care of all that?
Thanks!
Yes.
They have the same type of tie downs that my DD's school bus had.The bus driver does take care of it. It helps if you know where the safe places to attach tie downs are on your particular wheelchair. We actually wraped bright colored tape around the safe places on DD's wheelchair. That way, I can just say, you can attach to any of the areas with bright pink tape.

If you check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find information about boarding buses.

MarieS said:
Both of my children use wheelchairs and can't transfer. What are my options for getting from the airport to our resort? Thanks!

Marie

The DME question has been answered above and I don't think you'll have any problems with that part of your trip.

But I was curious. How do they handle air flights where the wheelchair user can't transfer into an airline seat? I use a wheelchair and I've always transfered into a normal seat.

BillSears said:
The DME question has been answered above and I don't think you'll have any problems with that part of your trip.

But I was curious. How do they handle air flights where the wheelchair user can't transfer into an airline seat? I use a wheelchair and I've always transfered into a normal seat.

Bill,
I have talked about this with other parents on my CP email list. Other parents tell me they transfer their child to the aisle chair, then transfer them to the regular seat. They use pillows on both side to help the child stay up. One mom told me she also carries a velcro chest strap that she wraps around the seat to help her daughter stay up.

I am concerned about how my oldest son will do on the plane due to his trunk problems. On our other trip to WDW with MAW, we drove our van and took two days. But I think this would be too much for my son now.
Thank goodness this will only be a 2 1/2 hour flight!
Marie

I think the valcro strap around their trunk and seat back would be an excellent idea. Just be careful about not blocking the tray table behind you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter