Wheelchair recommendation needed

chloelovesdisney

DIS Veteran
Hi, I would like to get a wheelchair for our upcoming visit for my mother. She ended up needing it on our last trip and we were lucky the Beach Club had one available and let her use it for the remainder of our trip. I know we can't count on one being free so just to be safe I would like to order one.

Her response time is delayed and she shakes quite a bit, she is not a candidate for a scooter.

Any particular company or chair type recommendations are appreciated. It will be for a week stay. Something lightweight and easier to push around would be great.

Thank you.

Since she isn't going to be pushing herself I would recommend that you buy her a companion chair much cheaper and lighter. You can buy them at Walgreens.

Since she isn't going to be pushing herself I would recommend that you buy her a companion chair much cheaper and lighter. You can buy them at Walgreens.

I thought the rental companies would have a higher quality chair than I could buy myself. :confused3

I thought the rental companies would have a higher quality chair than I could buy myself. :confused3

If you wish to rent a wheelchair, I don't think there are a lot of choices offered. The standard manual wheelchair, possibly a choice of sizes (pediatric or extra wide). If a companion chair such as recommended by PP would be your preferred choice, you'd want to look into purchasing one -- that way you'll also have it for other vacations or needs closer to home.

For rentals, I'd suggest you start with the vendors listed in the disAbilities FAQ sticky near the top of this forum. There are "preferred" vendors who have an agreement with WDW to utilize bell services for drop-off/pick-up. But there are also other highly-reputable companies who will arrange to meet you personally for drop-off and pick-up. Those recommended by DISers are noted as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

Only way to get a high quality chair is to have a special order chair and those are the ones you see when people use a chair all the time. The rental manual chairs are what we call hospital chairs they are heavy and bulky. Transport chairs are very lightweight have 4 small wheels so the person has to be pushed. They are lightweight and fold up to no bigger then a stroller and can be bought at Walmart or Walgreen for under $200.

I use Randys Mobility. They are not one of the preferred providers but they do personally meet us and drop off and pick up the wheelchair.

Going to the Swan and Beach Club in a few weeks and will use them again as usual.

I like that they dont charge an insurance fee etc. if the wheelchair gets stolen etc.
Some of the other companies do charge a fee.

I used Walker mobility last year and was thrilled with the product, price and service.

Only way to get a high quality chair is to have a special order chair and those are the ones you see when people use a chair all the time. The rental manual chairs are what we call hospital chairs they are heavy and bulky. Transport chairs are very lightweight have 4 small wheels so the person has to be pushed. They are lightweight and fold up to no bigger then a stroller and can be bought at Walmart or Walgreen for under $200.

If you decide to purchase a transport chair, don't forget to check at your locally owned pharmacy, too. The family owned one near my house has a better selection of mobility aids than the chain stores do, and they seem to be more knowledgeable and willing to take time to make sure you have the chair that fits your needs.

Double check that a transport chair has footrests.

I have seen them used at the parks. It would be very uncomfortable to not have footrests and have to keep your feet lifted all of the time you are moving.

Hi!

Does Mom need a chair at home too? If her balance is poor from the shaking, maybe insurance would allow her to get her own. If you are calling around, ask what brand and models they rent. We don't want you to get stuck with a heavy hospital type chair with clunky elevating leg rests . The transport chairs are good, but sometimes the small wheels make a bumpy ride for an adult. I work in the wheelchair clinic at my children's hospital, and there is a wide variation in chairs that can make or break it for the person who has to push. Don't hesitate to ask questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter