What's the youngest age your kids have enjoyed the "scary" rides?

My son was 3 years and 9 months old when we went on ToT over and over-he LOVED it! He loved all the thrill rides-I think he couldn't go on RnRc b/c he wasn't tall enough at the time, but the next trip he was and loved it! The only one he was really nervous about was Haunted Mansion-he did go through with it and of course loved it. I never forced him on any of the rides-I let it be his decision.

My son is 3 now-just got back from DW. Also went last Oct when he was 2.5-went on HM last year and seemed fine with it but told us for this upcoming trip he did NOT want to go in the dark scary house again. Also went on POC both trips but after this trip said he didn't like it b/c was too scary-I think it is really just the darkness of the rides-he LOVES barnstormer, mine train, star tours, and the outdoor portions of BTMRR (he said it was dark and scary inside the mines there so he liked mine train better where the dwarves sing in the mine lol) so I didn't even attempt TOT
BtW space mountain is 44 not 40 so not sure if the 4 y/o is that tall-just wouldn't want to get his hopes up if you thought it was 40 or less like the rest of those

Last trip DD was 9. She didn't even make it through the queue at TOT and hid her eyes through HM and POTC. She loves coasters though so she thinks SM, EE and RR are awesome. Really just depends on the kid.

As she gets older we encourage her to try more. Next trip she knows she had to do TOT because it's really not scary and she'll love it. But no way I'll make her do Dinosaur.

My 5 year old loved Big Thunder, Everest & Space Mountain. He didn't care for Dinosaur but just because he didn't like it. He hated splash because he didn't like getting wet! lol He wouldn't go on ToT at all so too scary for him.

My 4 year old loved 7 Dwarfs, Barnstormer & Haunted Mansion. She was too short for Thunder, Everest, Space, Dinosaur, Splash & ToT.

My DD was 5 when we went to Disney and she loved Haunted Mansion (which was awesome as that's my favorite too).
She also loved thrill rides such as Big Thunder Mountain, 7DMT, Test Track, Pirates of Caribbean, Soarin, Great Movie Ride.
She also enjoyed Fantasmic, which can be scary for some kids.

But she didn't want to try Splash Mountain and neither of our kids would try Space Mountain.

My kids were 4 and 6 on our first trip.
They tried everything they were tall enough for. The ones that they did not like at all were ToT and Haunted Mansion (and Snow White's Scary Ride). Everything else was enjoyable to them, particularly Splash and BTMRR, surprisingly.

My at the time 7 year old son was terrified in what was then called "Alien Encounter" in MK. I believe that Disney toned it down a bit as the Stitch ride since then.

My oldest-when 6- did ToT, freaked out before Space Mountain, but loved Splash Mountain and still picks RnR as her favorite ride. My middle daughter (now12) has been a thrill seeker from birth and loves loves loves thrilling rides-scarier the better! My son is not a thrill seeker but loved SDMT last year and even ended up doing the intense MS, splash and ToT. Funnily enough he didn't like HM!

If not sure start with the tamer coasters (I would put SDMT here), try the flying carpets etc to see how they do with heights and build up to the longer ones with drops.

Our rule is you can ride anything that you are tall enough for but know that once the ride starts I can't get you off. You have to close your eyes and hold on. That has been my rule with my nieces as well. They and my DD will ride just about anything. The only time I broke this rule was on our first couple of trips to MK. I fibbed and told DD she wasn't tall enough for Space Mountain. Would she have been ok on it? Probably but the ride configuration (in front of, as opposed to beside her) still freaks me out :o

Its funny because my daughter is 8 years old now, she loves rides or says she does at least. she has been on one really big roller coaster (no loops) here at home, she chicken out on EE on our last trip. She is insisting that she is going on all the rides except for the coasters with the loops. Honestly I think she can do it, I'm planning on starting her off small and working up to the harder ones like ToT, with a big drop. My little guy is 4 and I know he is not ready at all. He did a mini pirate ship once and he did not look well at all. It really depends on the child. My kids are so different, I am more like my son, keep my feet on the ground please at all times. We will be on dumbo and they can do BTMRR.

Let's see.... I am 61 and still too young to enjoy the scary rides like ToT and Space Mountain! Love Splash Mountain though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter