What's the science behind this?

dragitoff

DIS Veteran
I'm 37 and I've been running for 5 years. I started running to lose weight and I successfully did so dropping about 75 pounds. I've kept the weight off for the past few years and I've essentially been roughly the same weight for the past 3+ years. I've completed 2 full marathons, quite a few half marathons and a ton of other shorter distance races. I've logged more than 1000 miles each of the past 3 years and I'm currently on pace to do so again this year. I live in Southwest Georgia (hello humidity) and I consistently run slower during the summer months and always get progressively faster during the fall and winter.

This year, I changed my schedule of running from 5 miles 3 days per week and a long run on the weekend of 10-15 miles to 4 miles 4 days per week and a long run on the weekend of 8-12 miles. This summer, most notably this month, I've seen my "summer pace" get considerably faster. My normal summer pace is a monthly average of somewhere around an 8:40mm. This summer, I'm running closer to my winter training run times of 8:20mm. I'm also negative splitting almost every run and my long runs are even faster than my shorter runs most of the time. Even when they're not, I'm not seeing a regression in pace.

My question is would there be something to my shortening my summer long runs and daily runs, but increasing the frequency that has helped me get faster during this summer? This really excites me because if I follow my normal progression, I could be in for quite a few PR's this race season since my winter paces are usually about 30 seconds per mile faster than my summer paces.

Ever runner is different but I have found that my pace is helped more by increasing my running frequency then by increasing my mileage. Are you doing any speed work? Replacing one of your 4 mile runs with repeats at the track will probably help your pace more and will also increase your calories burned if that is something you are interested in. Maybe that is something that you can add in next year.

You are also at a good time in your running career. Many endurance runners peak in their 30's and I have read that years 5-7 of an "adult onset" runner's career are often where you see the biggest gains.

I agree with the above in that long distance runners usually peak in their mid 30's. Also 5-7 years from when you start running is also a peak time, so it appears that a lot of things are just falling into place for you. Enjoy it, and this fall should be a promising one for you if everything pans out as "usual".
I'm in South Louisiana and I know your pain in regards to the humidity. Fall/Winter cant get here fast enough.

Since you regularly run in hot and humid weather I'm certain it has more to do with how you're running (more often, rather than longer) then the weather. Regarding the heat and how you have gotten slower in the past however, this article that links to some interesting studies may shed some light on the subject.

To get faster, you have to run faster. One key to faster runs is making the fast runs shorter. So more frequent but shorter runs will generally equate to faster runs. It is also much easier to show improvement in time over a short distance than a long distance (up to a point).

But remember that you are sacrificing endurance by cutting down the length of your long runs. You can get the same results with longer long runs by keeping your other runs shorter or by introducing other types of speed work.

As for age - I am 48 and well past my prime running years. Running is now about my health and no longer about speed. In fact, at my age speed = injury. :sad1:

Ever runner is different but I have found that my pace is helped more by increasing my running frequency then by increasing my mileage. Are you doing any speed work? Replacing one of your 4 mile runs with repeats at the track will probably help your pace more and will also increase your calories burned if that is something you are interested in. Maybe that is something that you can add in next year.

You are also at a good time in your running career. Many endurance runners peak in their 30's and I have read that years 5-7 of an "adult onset" runner's career are often where you see the biggest gains.

I don't have access to a track, but I do incorporate fartleks in one of my weekly runs. I do intervals of 60 seconds every 2 minutes of either my 3rd or 4th weekday run. It's something I've been doing for the past 2 years and I've PR'd EVERY race I've done in the past 2 years so I feel there's gotta' be something to it! :-)

I agree with the above in that long distance runners usually peak in their mid 30's. Also 5-7 years from when you start running is also a peak time, so it appears that a lot of things are just falling into place for you. Enjoy it, and this fall should be a promising one for you if everything pans out as "usual".
I'm in South Louisiana and I know your pain in regards to the humidity. Fall/Winter cant get here fast enough.

AMEN!!!!!!!

Since you regularly run in hot and humid weather I'm certain it has more to do with how you're running (more often, rather than longer) then the weather. Regarding the heat and how you have gotten slower in the past however, this article that links to some interesting studies may shed some light on the subject.

Thanks for the article. I will definitely check that out!

To get faster, you have to run faster. One key to faster runs is making the fast runs shorter. So more frequent but shorter runs will generally equate to faster runs. It is also much easier to show improvement in time over a short distance than a long distance (up to a point).

But remember that you are sacrificing endurance by cutting down the length of your long runs. You can get the same results with longer long runs by keeping your other runs shorter or by introducing other types of speed work.

As for age - I am 48 and well past my prime running years. Running is now about my health and no longer about speed. In fact, at my age speed = injury. :sad1:

That definitely makes sense, but what I don't understand is my long runs are even considerably faster. For instance, I run my 4 milers at an average pace of 8:20mm. This weekend was my "short" week for my long run and I ran a 10K (non-race) and ran it an avg. pace of 8:10mm. I know that's just one run, but I have seen that type of scenario many times over the past month or so. Crazy!

That definitely makes sense, but what I don't understand is my long runs are even considerably faster. For instance, I run my 4 milers at an average pace of 8:20mm. This weekend was my "short" week for my long run and I ran a 10K (non-race) and ran it an avg. pace of 8:10mm. I know that's just one run, but I have seen that type of scenario many times over the past month or so. Crazy!
When you run faster you increase VO2 Max and lactate threshold. This helps you run faster, and with less effort, on every run - including long runs. But if your longest run for in a 6 week period is 12 miles, you will not have the same results if you run longer than 12 miles as your endurance will diminish.

BTW - it sounds like you are running all runs "fast". You will see greater results if you ease up a but more on your long runs. Save the fast runs for speed work and tempo runs for greater gains. Sounds counter-intuitive, but the science demonstrates that you build no more endurance by running your long runs "fast", but you limit the gains possible the following week as you over-tire your legs.

I can't add much more than has already been said...lots of good info, but congrats on your progression. Sounds like you are healthier and your fitness level is increasing which is leading to improvements in your running. Well done!

When you run faster you increase VO2 Max and lactate threshold. This helps you run faster, and with less effort, on every run - including long runs. But if your longest run for in a 6 week period is 12 miles, you will not have the same results if you run longer than 12 miles as your endurance will diminish.

BTW - it sounds like you are running all runs "fast". You will see greater results if you ease up a but more on your long runs. Save the fast runs for speed work and tempo runs for greater gains. Sounds counter-intuitive, but the science demonstrates that you build no more endurance by running your long runs "fast", but you limit the gains possible the following week as you over-tire your legs.

It's funny you say that because I thought about that. Those are still quite a bit slower than my race paces. Typically my training runs are 15-30 seconds per mile slower than my race (depending on distance). My short race (5K) pace is around 7:30mm. My medium distance race (15k) pace is in the 7:55 range. My long distance race pace (1/2 marathon) is around 8:05mm and my longer distance race (marathon) pace is 8:35mm.

None of my current paces are consistent with my faster race paces. They're just faster than my previous years' runs during this same time of year. I keep detailed logs of every run and have since I started running. I have a great app that lets me quickly look back at month by month progression as well as annual comparisons in distance and pace. For the record, I couldn't be more thrilled with how my running is going right now. I was just curious what might be the cause so I can do more of it! :yay:

If you want to get faster over long distances, you need to increase the speed of the runs. Doing runs with 3 miles easy, 4 miles at MP+20, 1 mile easy, 4 miles at MP+10, 1 mile easy, 4 miles at MP+5, cool down, for example, is a good way to adjust to running faster over longer distances.

If you want to get faster over long distances, you need to increase the speed of the runs. Doing runs with 3 miles easy, 4 miles at MP+20, 1 mile easy, 4 miles at MP+10, 1 mile easy, 4 miles at MP+5, cool down, for example, is a good way to adjust to running faster over longer distances.
I typically agree with your posts, and this may work for you, but I am not sure that I would try this very often. My coach does recommend that once each month I run the last 5 miles of my long run at my MP (marathon pace), but that is not to help me get faster running marathons - it is to strengthen me mentally. The idea is that you push yourself when you are already tired, teaching yourself that you can run fast even when you feel like you cannot. But you only do it once per month because it hurts your runs the following week (maybe longer) since it totally depletes your glycogen stores and really taxes your leg muscles.

But, as always, we are an experiment of one when it comes to running so it might help some people. ::yes::

I'm loving all the feedback and I do believe every person is different and our bodies respond differently to various training, diet, etc... It's fun to hear what different people do. We all have our "things" we do for training and racing. I eat sushi the day before every race. I did that by chance once and PR'd the race and I've done that every race since and PR'd every race since. I'm sure there's probably something to that; however I'm sure the vast majority of it is mental, it still works for me. o_O

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter