What's the problem with multiple ADR's at the same time?

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Plan' started by nikjd68, Aug 24, 2007.

1. nikjd68

nikjd68 Mouseketeer

I don't see the issue. (As a disclaimer, just so people don't think I'm rationalizing my own "bad" behavior, check out entry #131 on the official adr cancellation thread, i.e., my entry)

If a person has multiple ADR's and doesn't cancel them, all that happens is that walk-ins will be able to get a table. No one seems to be able to properly explain why that is such a bad thing.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. asmit4

asmit4 DIS Veteran

My understanding is that a lot of restaurants simply don't allow any walk in's no matter how many people don't show. So no show ADR's don't mean that tables can be taken by walk in's.

For instance, I tried to book LeCelier (sp?) last month for an October trip. I am new to this and booked late. No spots available for lunch or dinner during our stay. Now if some people have multiple ADR's and don't show, LeCelier doesn't allow walk ins so I could have had an ADR but it was taken by a multiple booker who may or may not be there I spose.

4. nikjd68

nikjd68 Mouseketeer

I don't think your info on "no walk-ins" is correct. First, an ADR is not a true reservation. It simply allows you to get a table b/4 those who do not have ADR's i.e., walk-ins.

Every TS restaurant at WDW takes walk-ins.

5. Mickiethepooh

Mickiethepooh DIS Veteran

If you have multiple ADRs for the same time and you don't show they move on to the next ADR person who IS there, and they will continue that way they will not say of Mr. Smith did not show so let's let the Jone's who are walk ups in now.
    It also means the Mr Brown who would have gotten an ADR and showed up could not get it because me SMITH is a inconsiderate person.

6. Allison

Allison DIS Veteran

Your information is flawed.

Not showing up does NOT open up a table for a walk-in.

It also makes planning harder for those who are trying to schedule in advance. Others can't book a table and know they have a place to eat at a certain time because of someone who isn't even going to show up.

7. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

Actually they do not. I cannot tell you how many people I saw turned away for TS restaurants in the MK and in MGM on three separate trips.

8. global_mom

global_mom DIS Veteran

Booking multiple ADRs just seems to be rude and inconsiderate behavior. Most guests can only eat at one place at one time so they know that they can not fulfill multiple ADRs. Those wasted ADRs would still have been in the dining system so that another guest, who intends to use the ADRs, can get them. Delays, sick children, and sudden change of plans certainly do happen which can result in a no-show but simply booking multiple ADRs b/c a guest can not make up their mind is tacky.

9. honeymo78

honeymo78 Don't dream it, be it

In the past, many locations took walk-ups, purely based on the fact that they weren't booked with ADRs and knew there would be room. Most people getting a walk up now either arrive right at opening, or end up at a restaurant that likely had ADRs available if you were to call. The more popular locations actually seem to overbook their ADRs and turn all walk ups away (maybe not always at opening). They expect a certain number of no-shows and have already booked to take this into account. However, if you do cancel that extra or unwanted ADR it will go back into the system for the next person to pick up - I'm not sure what the time frame is for getting it back into the system, perhaps if you cancel only a half hour before your time, it might not open up for someone else. Several times people have reported being turned away as a walk up, yet called dining and got an ADR for within the hour - likely from someone who cancelled.

If you are holding 2 ADRs for the same meal, unless your group splits up, its pretty much going to be impossible for you to make both. If you just don't show up to one, there is no guarantee anyone else will get that table that didn't have an ADR. Most likely it means that instead of someone waiting past their ADR time to be seated, they will get in closer to the ADR time. If you go and cancel that ADR, it goes back into the system and someone can pick it up. When table service dining wasn't so popular and when places weren't booked to the hilt, having double or triple ADRs wasn't such an issue. Almost every restaurant had room for walkups regardless of those with ADRs. For better, or worse, those days are over.

10. Mom2Evie

Mom2Evie DIS Veteran

You know, I'd really love to eat at Coral Reef with my party of three. I'd love to know a couple of weeks ahead of time that I'll have a place to eat with my family. I've called repeatedly to make a reservation but they never have availability for me. And do you know why? Because you have a reservation there that you might use. That is, if you decide not to use the reservation you're holding for Chefs de France or Le Cellier or Chef Mickey's.

I don't want WDW to be like the airlines... overbook and then bump people to a later time because everybody shows up. I want to know that if I make a reservation, I'll have a table at the time I booked it for. If the trend of booking and ditching continues, that's what Disney will be forced to do.

11. JimMIA

JimMIA A little Miami humor...

I don't know where you got the idea that everybody offers walkups, but it's just plain wrong.

Quite a number of restaurants do NOT offer walkups at all, depending on availability. For example, during the holiday season, many Epcot restaurants don't even keep a list because they are completely sold out with CP packages.

Also, when we were in MK in December '05, there were signs up virtually every day saying there was NO TS availability anywhere at MK -- for any meal, at any time, for the entire day. They were turning away hundreds of people every day, and that was in early December...which is not supposed to be a busy time for MK.

With regard to multiple ADRs during the same period -- it hasn't happened to us, but I've heard that Disney Dining checks that...and if they find duplicate ADRs during the same meal period, they cancel them all. I don't know that for a fact, but I've heard it enough to make me think there is some truth there.

12. JimMIA

JimMIA A little Miami humor...

::yes:: :thumbsup2

13. DznyDreamz

DznyDreamz DIS Veteran

I think it is inconsiderate to retain multiple ADR's for the same time. My family has been trying for months to get into WCC before the nightly campfire and movie. It has been booked solid before 9:30 pm. If one of those people who has an ADR there and also has one elsewhere that they use instead, it is impossible for my family to get to eat there. When I spoke with a CM, I was told the only way to find out about walk up availability is to go all the way to FW and ask. I can't call the restaurant directly and Dining won't know if someone just doesn't show up. So if my family is at Epcot or MGM or wherever, it is a waste to go all the way to FW on the chance that someone may have overbooked or not shown up. Its common courtesy to cancel what you don't intend to use rather then hording all the good seating times for yourself. Decide what you want to use and cancel what you don't for all of our sakes.

14. MS_mom_1965

MS_mom_1965 Mouseketeer

:woohoo: :thumbsup2 Tell 'em sister!

Now if any of you have a multiple ADR for Le Cellier for dinner between Nov 17-23 please call and cancel so I can have it!:rotfl:

15. disprincessjasmine

disprincessjasmine Earning My Ears

IMO it's rude and selfish to make mutiple ADRs just so you have "options." It's not fair to other guests who try and make ADRs and are told the restaurants are booked, because other people have made several.

16. DCDisney

DCDisney On my way...

Technically it really doesn't matter because they only plan on a certain % of ADRs showing up anyway. If every ADR actually showed up it would be a mad house. On the Dis it's considered bad etiquette but in reality double booking is part of Disney's ADR equation. Even with cancelling ADRs the same day it's questionable if they go back into the system either.

If you do book 2 meals at the same time they will cancel the older meal if it's caught but you can still book a B,L, D each day even if you relaly only plan to eat 1TS. Not that I'm advocating such behavior...

Yvonne

17. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

:thumbsup2 And then when I call for an ADR at the resturaunt I really, really want to eat at, I'm told it's booked (but half of them are from people holding multiple ADRs). So I go ahead and book at someplace I don't really care about, but I don't want to take my chances and not have a place to eat. Meanwhile, someone who isn't going to show up has an ADR at a place I would have loved to eat at. You hear on these boards all the time from people wanting to eat at a particular resturaunt but have been unable to get an ADR.

18. DznyDreamz

DznyDreamz DIS Veteran

It does matter though to those of us who want to know we have an ADR at a specific restaurant but are unable to get in because people are holding multiple spots. You try explaining to my 6 yr old why it "doesn't matter" that we can't get an ADR at the place that she has her heart set on.

19. MisMikiNikiLynne

MisMikiNikiLynne "...just call me Princess of quite a lot"

This statement is not always true. We have been told when walking up to a podium that walk-ups are not accepted, I have also seem sighs (at particullarly busy times of the year) that state there are no TS resturants open for walk-ups, ADR's are necessary!

I too, beleive that holding multiple ADR's is rude and inconsiderate of others. Please be fair and decide what ADR you want to use and cancel the other allowing for someone else to use it.

20. Luv2Roam

Luv2Roam Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Walk ups are just luck of the draw, and not anything like had been even a few years ago. It is not at all uncommon to see walk ups turned away. It is more of the norm those guests are turned away, than they get in.
    Walk ups almost have to be at the right place at the right time, or inbetween prime times.
    Guests who get seated as a walk up should be very thankful. That does not seem to be the norm. More and more guests are aware they need ADRs, so I think more are booked now than use to be for that reason alone.

21. evenpar4me

evenpar4me Mouseketeer

How selfish!