Whats the Difference between Cabanas and Topsiders?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by disprincess4ever, Apr 5, 2013.

1. disprincess4ever

disprincess4ever DIS Veteran

We'll be sailing on the Magic soon and have heard their buffet, Topsiders, is different that that of Cabanas on the Fantasy/Dream. What I don't understand is the difference between the 2??? :confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

On the classic ships the buffet (Topsiders on the Magic and Beach Blanket Buffet on the Wonder) is set up in the "traditional" one long line type of buffet. Everyone waits for the people in front of them to serve themselves before moving on.

In Cabanas, there are separate stations with food, you may go to them in in any order, and not wait in one long line.

Other than that, I believe the food offerings are the same, or similar.

4. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original D

Topsiders

[​IMG]

Cabanas (bad pic)

[​IMG]

5. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

OK, here's my Topsiders pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, rumor has it that Topsiders will become more "Cabanas-style" during her dry dock this year.

6. Cruisin Castaway

Cruisin Castaway Mouseketeer

Topsiders is more of a cafeteria style line while Cabanas has different stations that you can go to with different types of food at each station.

7. disprincess4ever

disprincess4ever DIS Veteran

So basically the food is the same its just 1 long line? That doesn't make them sound too different! :upsidedow

8. jrabbit

jrabbit DIS Veteran

Topsiders / beach Blanket buffet = organized line to get your food

cabanas = madhouse -where are all the food choices? ... Oh here in this line, and over there in that line, and it looks like there might be something else over there, and what's this line, oops, same stuff as one of the other lines I was in --- hey where did you get that? Oh, that line over there. Why should I wait, I can just crowd in here ....

Frankly my opinion of "cabanas style" is it's a stupid mess! It's not a great way to move a lot of people through.

On the other hand, the "single line" method on the classic ships doesn't work when there's a "long line" and the people at the back decide that they need to save a table for their family because "there are so many people in font of us" -- when that happens, the people that have been through the line, and have their food, have to search for a place to sit and eat, blocking the next groups of people from coming through. So you end up with people standing with trays of food, and another group of people sitting at the tables without food (waiting for their family to bring them food, but can't) so you get gridlock.

9. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

I like the Cabanas set up. Once you know there are different stations and where they are it is much easier.

MJ

10. mbrocker

mbrocker Mouseketeer

UGH. :furious: I hate this. hate hate hate this.

And no, I do not want to hear how you *need* a place to sit and you are in pain and you can't chance not having a table.. blah blah. I have two children, I'm pregnant and have bad knees .. I can still wait in freaking line. The queues are set up so that the lines move and the tables turn. People that snag a table 20 minutes before their family even gets through the line screw up the entire system.

11. disney1990

disney1990 <font color=royalblue>Wow, it make my heart skip a

Sorry to hear you feel this way. We always grab a table so we have a place to put our stuff. One person waits at the table, while somebody else goes and grabs something to eat. With the set up at Cabanas, they can go make a salad and be back at the table in 5 or 10 minutes.

12. DMMarla07860

DMMarla07860 DIS Veteran

I like Cabanas style better, once you know how it works it seems much better, and I notice they food some better food selections

13. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

I've sailed on the Dream (not crowded) and Wonder (Christmas week, capacity plus) and never waited with more than 4-5 people in front of me. Usually, we just waited for the BBB person to hand us a tray and silverware. We may not have gotten the perfect table (outside but not in the sun=perfect) every time, but we also never had a problem finding a table.

Nancy

14. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet also have outdoor seating. I have read comments here that Cabanas does not?

15. mbrocker

mbrocker Mouseketeer

I guess there are some days (like embarkation) where you have lots of stuff. Maybe if you have an infant w/diaper bag, baby food, etc. But otherwise, how much stuff does one take with them to the buffet?

It just drives me crazy when people do it SPECIFICALLY to secure a table during a perceived busy time. Like the person who is in the back of the line has more right to have a place to sit than the person who is waiting patiently with kids and family. THOSE people drive me nutso. One of my big pet peeves in any self seating environment.

16. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

It does on the Dream.

Nancy

17. DMMarla07860

DMMarla07860 DIS Veteran

Has outdoor seating on the Fantasy

18. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

With the talk of the Magic refurb making Topsider's into a Cabanas I would imagine that some of the outdoor seating currently in Topsiders would be eliminated. the outdoor eating areas on the Dream/Fantasy seem smaller than the classic ships.

MJ

19. DMMarla07860

DMMarla07860 DIS Veteran

Good thinking, it was smaller on Fantasy

20. outahere

outahere DIS Veteran

Unless they have recently changed things at Cabanas, a major difference is that they do not have trays. So..... you're stuck carrying a plate to the different stations, taking it back to your table, then getting your drink. It's really not that big a deal, unless you want to get something from the buffet to take back to your cabin, or if the only available tables are not close by.

21. kalc12345

kalc12345 DIS Veteran

We were on the Dream last month and they didn't have trays.