What's the deal with yucky CELERY? Tell me how to get the good stuff!

ready123go

DIS Veteran
I'm goin' broke.

I LOOOVE celery, but ever since Jan or Feb nearly every stalk I buy is so bitter and astringent that it is completely inedible. Is anybody else finding this too?

I know what to look for in other produce I buy, but I can't seem to figure out celery. More white, more green. Flatter stalks. Hearts only. It doesn't seem to make a difference. I did switch to Dole for a while, but only Costco carries Dole now (here in Detroit, at least). I am so frustrated and I'm craving celery. How do you select good celery? Tell me your secret! :goodvibes

I don't have any suggestions on picking it (I just make sure it is still crispy) but have you tried soaking it in water in the fridge?

Is there any chance that your taste buds have been altered - i.e. due to medication, vitamins, or a change in diet? I know when I take certain medications or vitamins it changes how certain foods taste to me. This also would happen to me when I was pregnant.

Here are a few tips:

The outer stalks are tougher than the inner stalks, so if you want all tender stalks, buy the hearts only.

Look for firm stalks. Gently wiggle a stalk from side-to-side (but be careful not to break it). There should be very little give. If there’s a lot of movement, this head of celery is circling the drain, so put it back.

Feel the stalks for thickness. Thinner stalks tend to be tougher and stringier.

Go for a fresh-looking, medium green color. If yellowing, the head is probably too old. If dark green, the head could be tough and bitter.

Weigh celery in your hand. It should feel heavy for it's size. This means it is fresh and has a high water content.

HTH!

Is there any chance that your taste buds have been altered - i.e. due to medication, vitamins, or a change in diet? I know when I take certain medications or vitamins it changes how certain foods taste to me. This also would happen to me when I was pregnant.

Good point. No meds. Maybe vitamins. I'll watch for that.

Here are a few tips:

The outer stalks are tougher than the inner stalks, so if you want all tender stalks, buy the hearts only.

Look for firm stalks. Gently wiggle a stalk from side-to-side (but be careful not to break it). There should be very little give. If there’s a lot of movement, this head of celery is circling the drain, so put it back.

Feel the stalks for thickness. Thinner stalks tend to be tougher and stringier.

Go for a fresh-looking, medium green color. If yellowing, the head is probably too old. If dark green, the head could be tough and bitter.

Weigh celery in your hand. It should feel heavy for it's size. This means it is fresh and has a high water content.

HTH!

These are great! Thank you!

I love celery too!! I have found that the celery at Whole Foods is so much better tasting than regular grocery store celery. Maybe just look for organic? The unfortunate side is the price, however. But I believe celery is on that list of 15 foods that you should try to eat organic, isn't it?

Celery with peanut butter, yum!! :goodvibes

DH doesn't care for celery, but I find that he will eat it occasionally if I buy the organic. It does seem to taste less bitter. We wasted quite a bit (girls love it as long as it isn't funky), so I'd rather buy the organic and eat it vs. the conventional and have to toss it.

It's too late this summer, but next summer you could grow your own. We've done this for a couple of years now (in a large 20" pot -- no garden needed) and it's been yummy! We take the outside stalks off to eat as they get bigger and then when the frost hits, we cut the bundles off entirely. The 6 pack of baby plants was $2.49 at our local nursery this year.

We have had the same problem buying celery...it is so bitter and nasty. Thanks all for the tips, I'll try them.

I also have this problem......sometimes it seems the lighter colored celery vs the dark green tastes better:confused3

I'm goin' broke.

I LOOOVE celery, but ever since Jan or Feb nearly every stalk I buy is so bitter and astringent that it is completely inedible. Is anybody else finding this too?

I know what to look for in other produce I buy, but I can't seem to figure out celery. More white, more green. Flatter stalks. Hearts only. It doesn't seem to make a difference. I did switch to Dole for a while, but only Costco carries Dole now (here in Detroit, at least). I am so frustrated and I'm craving celery. How do you select good celery? Tell me your secret! :goodvibes
Yes, I have the same problem ! I need to rely on celery to get me through a diet....the only healthy thing I can continually munch on ! I find the only way I can get good celery is in those party packs that they sell in grocery stores, you know in trays that have compartments for celery, carrots, grape tomatos, etc. Only problem is, there's not a great amount of celery in them....you'd have to buy like 10 party packs.....so what can we do ??

I'm goin' broke.

I have been finding the same thing the last few months. I thought I was going crazy. I've basically stopped buying celery but that's no solution. Plus, with my low carb diet, I'm really missing it.

grKnG0p.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter