What's the Big Deal With Staying On Property Anyway? *Goodbyes* 12/17 p.114

I'll give my opinion on paint colors with the disclaimer that I am not shy about color and really don't like pastels at all. I once painted the boys bathroom an orange that when the door was closed glowed orange from under it.:rolleyes1

For your bedroom I would do blue, its hard to tell the exact blue in the quilt, but maybe a denim blue. I think cranberry would be too much and drown everything out.

The boys bedroom I would pick a bright green. I love bright greens especially for kids rooms.

Sullys room I would choose the brown in the camo print.

The bathroom I would choose the orange to match the lion. Only because there is so much green in the shower curtain.

2 quarts may be enough depending on the size of the walls, but I have found with dark colors I may need to do 3 coats to get really good coverage. A quart will normally cover 100 sq ft. I always find myself buying a gallon so I have some for touchups or to paint rocks with the kids.

Have fun decorating!

OK that was weird. You wrote exactly the colors I was going to suggest.

With dark colors get a tinted primer so you don't have to do as many coats of the wall color.

Is the kitchen and living room open to each other? Our kitchen/dinning room/living room and entry way is all open to each other so we have done earth tones from a light green, a dark green to browns.

OK that was weird. You wrote exactly the colors I was going to suggest.

With dark colors get a tinted primer so you don't have to do as many coats of the wall color.

Is the kitchen and living room open to each other? Our kitchen/dinning room/living room and entry way is all open to each other so we have done earth tones from a light green, a dark green to browns.

I think everyone seems to be on the same page for the most part with the colors - with a few differences. I'm going to get samples of all the ones everyone mentions and then put them against the stuff I have and see what I think.

When you walk in the front door - you walk into the living room. There is a short hallway on the side that takes you to the kitchen (with the half bath in that hallway as well). So - the living room/kitchen do share a long wall. You can't really see most of the kitchen from the living room though. And I'm not sure which walls I would paint.

I need some decorating help! We are going to be painting an accent wall in each room of our new house.

Ok here is my 2-cents

for our bedroom:

My first insticnt is to go w/ the red...but yes it may be too much, now blue is nice but then you have to decide if the blue and cranberry accents is to Americana for you?

Maybe a nice warm brown tone I'm not talking mud brown, but like warm dessert brown.

Owen and Connor's room:

Ok I have to say the quilt spread and curtian panel our adorable and so bright and fun, but you may need to turn it more "growing up big boy" then little cute boy...not that your boys aren't cute!

I love the idea of green if you keep the spread motif too.

Sully's room:

I'd go w/ maybe a cool olive green...brown seems too obvious and the green color may warm up a boys room.

Our main bathroom:

Wow any color would be fun off that curtian...but the orange thought now that would be NEW and fun w/ some fun orange hand towels!

That just leaves the living room and the kitchen.

I like reds for a living room and blues or dark greens in the kitchen....JMHO

We have a brick fireplace that is open to both our kitchen den area and then the other side is our family/living room. The kitchen side is what you first see when you come in our house and that is a bold cranberryish red and the other side is a muted red w/ brown tones to it.

I'm sure whatever you pick will be great!

On the colors -

For your bedroom, I'd probably go with a slate blue, like you were thinking. I think red / cranberry would be too bright for a bedroom, personally. We had a burgundy accent wall in our old house in the family room that was great, though.

Brown could work for the camo room if it gets decent natural light. Otherwise, it might be a bit cave-like.

Ds has a similar primary colors quilt from Target, btw. He still loves it at age 7.5. He is actually lobbying for red walls, but we have been resisting so far! He has had primary blue and then green accent walls at the old house - personally, I thought it was a bit much. The rest of his furniture is dark brown, and he has a ton of stuff hung up on the walls.

Not sure on the bathroom. What color are the fixtures, etc?

What a great report!

I love to boat ride to DTD too. It's the main reason I've stayed at POFQ the past 3 trips. :rolleyes1

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures. :)

Okay, Here is my 10 cents...

I say not Red in the bedroom b/c if the ceilings are low and the room relatively small, it could make it feel smaller -- even one wall. I have red walls in my kitchen/family room space, but it has high ceilings and lots of windows and so I think the red doesnt close things in. Even with one wall, I think a bedroom with the blues, or perhaps a taupe would keep the room "calming" and the red would be a "punch" of color with the accents in the spread, etc. Re the boys room, I say Green or Blue -- b/c they are cheery kid colors. Mine have similar schemes still, and I don't think the patterns are too "kiddish" and if you got rid of the spread, you could still do something with the walls in those colors. Re the Camo room, I'd go with a brown, yes, OR maybe consider a mid-green, a silverish gray green. It would accent the colors of the camo nicely. You don't want dark walls competing with the deep colors of the bedding.
Re the bathroom, I too vote for the lighter Giraffe "orange-gold tone" color... I think that would be a nice accent. HOWEVER, what color is the cabinetry? IF the color would clash with Orange, it might be harder to do that. I would find that out.
Color always looks darker in can, so keep that in mind. RE coats, we had 2 coats on our walls OVER a gray primer.

Regarding WHICH wall to"accent" pick the most achitecturally interesting wall in the space. This gives the accent some definition vs. just another wall...

CHECK out the Disney colors... we did our kids bathrooms and bedroom using Disney colors! :goodvibes

Hi Carissa, trying to play catch up here. Love your LMA shots. The HISTK playground doesn't handle crowds very well. Its great first thing in the morning, but who has time to do that. We have rides to do first.

Not much help on the decorating I'm afraid. We always go with neutral colors on the walls since we always know we have to resale and don't want to scare people away. You will have to include pics once you are done though.

I'm sure whatever you pick will be great!

Thanks for all of your suggestions. :goodvibes

Ds has a similar primary colors quilt from Target, btw. He still loves it at age 7.5. He is actually lobbying for red walls, but we have been resisting so far! He has had primary blue and then green accent walls at the old house - personally, I thought it was a bit much. The rest of his furniture is dark brown, and he has a ton of stuff hung up on the walls.

Not sure on the bathroom. What color are the fixtures, etc?

I'm thinking of going with green and blue for Owen and Connor's room - letting Connor keep his comforter and just getting a solid blue for Owen.

I believe the fixtures are satin nickel.

What a great report!

I love to boat ride to DTD too. It's the main reason I've stayed at POFQ the past 3 trips. :rolleyes1

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures. :)

:welcome: Another installment should be up shortly. :thumbsup2

Okay, Here is my 10 cents...
Re the bathroom, I too vote for the lighter Giraffe "orange-gold tone" color... I think that would be a nice accent. HOWEVER, what color is the cabinetry? IF the color would clash with Orange, it might be harder to do that. I would find that out.

The cabinets are maple I believe. Kind of an organgy color.

We went last night and picked out paint samples. I think I've decided on most of them, but we're not ready to buy yet anyway so I have more time to change my mind. ;)

Hi Carissa, trying to play catch up here. Love your LMA shots. The HISTK playground doesn't handle crowds very well. Its great first thing in the morning, but who has time to do that. We have rides to do first.

Not much help on the decorating I'm afraid. We always go with neutral colors on the walls since we always know we have to resale and don't want to scare people away. You will have to include pics once you are done though.

We've done HISTK play area first thing in the morning before and it is much better that way. But, it wasn't top on our list this visit. I believe Heidi told me that it opens later now too.

I also think a Slate blue in the bedroom instead of Cranberry - although a cranberry in the dining room/kitchen area can be great!

One gallon of paint can be cheaper than 2 quarts. Just be sure to check prices! And with any darker color you will need 2 coats (some reds require 3 coats - even with a tinted primer) Be sure and get good quality paint - I have had really good luck with Behr (Home Depot) and Valspar (Lowe's) Don't be afraid to get a sample color and "try it out" on a small square in the room for a few days. Colors can change in different light. A beautiful tan/taupe can turn pink in evening light. Better to know before you paint the whole room! (been there, done that! lol)

And while all paint stores can color match, I have been happier with the colors that I choose from the color swatches/chips. I just match the swatch to the fabric, etc., I am trying to match and take them together into the room they will be to see how they match - fluorescent lighting, natural light - all can change a color so that it doesn't appear to match.

Good luck, can't wait to see finished pics!!!

Let's finish up this day so that we can get to my birthday, shall we??

I found a couple of pictures that I forgot to post with the last installment. I guess I did take a few at the HISTK playset.

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

We left Hollywood Studios and headed back to POR. The boys really wanted to check out the pool so the plan was to go back to our room, change, swim for a little bit, and then hit the food court for dinner.

As we opened the door to our room we were all excited to see if we had been left a special towel animal.

Yes, we were! Well, we were left a towel...creation anyway. Not an animal and at first, I didn't know what it was. Chuck figured it out for me. :rolleyes1

IMG_4477.jpg

It's a towel heart. :love:

We also saw this:

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

Coming back to our to see what Mousekeeping left for us became a highlight of each day. :goodvibes

Everyone got into their swimsuits (except for me) and headed over to Ol' Man Island.

I took this picture along the way:

IMG_4479.jpg

Chuck said the water was pretty cold - I'm sure the cold rain and cooler temps from earlier in the day didn't help any.

IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4483.jpg

Sully trying out the slide:

IMG_4487.jpg

Owen's turn:

IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

We didn't spend too long at the pool. When lips began turning blue, we headed back to our room and got changed. It was time to go eat!!

The boys got the kids' chicken nugget meal, which I thought was pretty skimpy. Definitely not enough food for Sully. But, from what the boys said, the nuggets were pretty tasty.

IMG_2928.jpg

I had heard good things about the Create-Your-Own-Pasta so that's what Chuck and I had. I HIGHLY recommend it!

You get to pick your pasta, your sauce, and then whatever you want for ingredients. I got penne with chicken, mushrooms, broccoil, parmesan cheese, and alfredo sauce. Chuck got penne with chicken and pesto sauce. Not sure what else he had in his. Both were delicious. It also came with a piece of garlic bread.

IMG_2929.jpg

I got a piece of chocolate cake for dessert and Chuck got the carrot cake. But, I felt badly that the boys didn't get a lot of food so I let them all share my cake and then Chuck and I shared the carrot cake.

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

At some point, Connor needed to use the restroom so off we went. When we got in the bathroom, I was glad I had taken my camera with me. :rolleyes1

IMG_2932.jpg

Aren't they cool??

We had talked about heading to DTD after dinner, but we were all pretty tired. We spotted the horse drawn carriages and I decided I wanted to make a reservation for sometime that week. You have to do this by calling the main recreation line.

Back in the room the boys watched a bit of TV and Chuck decided to head to DTD by himself to do some shopping for a certain someone. :rolleyes1

The boys got to bed at a decent time and I went to bed fairly early myself. I was very much looking forward to my birthday the next day. :yay:

Up Next - It's a Stitch Kind of Day :stitch:

Another set of great pictures! The food looks good.

I love the peaceful atmosphere of POR.
That's a beautiful picture of the river looking toward the wheel. That one needs to go in a frame in your house somewhere.

I can't help with decorating ideas, as I'm not very creative. I steal from others. My bedroom is Polynesian Resort, and the kitchen is Wilderness Lodge. The den takes turns - Wilderness Lodge in the fall and winter and Old Key West in the spring and summer. The walls are half paneling and half plain beige, and the couch is beige. All I have to do is take everything off the walls and put up the new, change the pillows, change foresty plants for tropical ones, and I've changed the entire feel of the room within a few minutes.

Good luck with your making your choices. It'll be fun to decorate a new place!

One gallon of paint can be cheaper than 2 quarts. Just be sure to check prices! And with any darker color you will need 2 coats (some reds require 3 coats - even with a tinted primer) Be sure and get good quality paint - I have had really good luck with Behr (Home Depot) and Valspar (Lowe's) Don't be afraid to get a sample color and "try it out" on a small square in the room for a few days. Colors can change in different light. A beautiful tan/taupe can turn pink in evening light. Better to know before you paint the whole room! (been there, done that! lol)

:welcome: Thanks for the info on the paint brands. I saw Valspar last night at Lowe's, but didn't know how good it was. :thumbsup2

What a great update! RE the towel heart, I think that was cute! Now, did you do mousekeeping tips? How did you do that, and when? The times we have stayed on property has always been "rented" points, and they don't come daily. Our stay at the Contemporary was the resort, but that time I had no idea about mousekeeping let alone DIS...

Also, I agree with the post about checking out paint in the light... If you grab like six or so samples you can tape them together to make a bigger swatch, then look at it. the little squares are so small! :headache:

Maple cabinets should give you a wide range of color -- but I would take the chip and find something the same color to see what it looks like next to it.

Good LUCK with your HDTV updates!!!! Looking forward to hearing about your choices.

I love the peaceful atmosphere of POR.
That's a beautiful picture of the river looking toward the wheel. That one needs to go in a frame in your house somewhere.

On another day I went around by myself with my good camera and took lots of great shots. Maybe I'll put some together in a frame.

I can't help with decorating ideas, as I'm not very creative. I steal from others. My bedroom is Polynesian Resort, and the kitchen is Wilderness Lodge. The den takes turns - Wilderness Lodge in the fall and winter and Old Key West in the spring and summer. The walls are half paneling and half plain beige, and the couch is beige. All I have to do is take everything off the walls and put up the new, change the pillows, change foresty plants for tropical ones, and I've changed the entire feel of the room within a few minutes.

That's very cool! :thumbsup2

What a great update! RE the towel heart, I think that was cute! Now, did you do mousekeeping tips? How did you do that, and when? The times we have stayed on property has always been "rented" points, and they don't come daily. Our stay at the Contemporary was the resort, but that time I had no idea about mousekeeping let alone DIS...

I have never in my life tipped housekeeping at a hotel before, so this was new to me too. The boys decorated special envelops before we left for the trip. I put $5 in each one ($1 a day per person) and left it out on the table each morning before we headed to the parks. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but we had a lot of surprises when we got back to our room each day. :thumbsup2

Aww, I love your little towel toothbrush holder, and the cuddly animal arrangement, but I'm not so sure I'd have figured out the heart either....

Your boys look like thye had fun in the pool and that carrot cake looks super yummy!!!

I love the towel animals you got even if it took a while to work out it was a heart :rotfl:

The make your own pasta at POR is fantastic isn't it, I loved it, DD's favourite was the salad though and she had it so many times!

The old fashioned loos are great aren't they, we had a similar one in my childhood house :rotfl:

The HISTK playground looks so cute. We'll have to swing by and take a peek at it this trip.

The pasta really does look delicious. In the past I would probably have picked the one Chuck got, but since my last child I can't do garlic anymore, so no more pesto for me.:sad2:

What a beautiful pool area. I hope the water warmed up for you guys.

Well, you know your resort is well-themed when even the toilets are special!! :laughing:

Great pool pix, the boys look like they're having a great time, especially on the slide. I'm looking forward to the birthday post! :thumbsup2

Kathy

Nice Mousekeeping surprises!

Your pasta meals look so YUMMY!!!! and ow those were some big pieces of cake....CSR's were half the size.

Looking forward to your birthday!

Great updates! I am jealous about LMA, we would have loved to have seen it. Not enough hours in the world for everything!

Regarding the paint...personally I would go for red in the bedroom as it is only one wall. but that's me and I wouldn't want blue on the wall in "my" room. Very different feelings so it just depends on what you want. Passion or serenity. LOL!

Bathroom, I agree on the orangey color if you can find one that works with the maple cabinets well, otherwise the green is nice but it might be too much green.

Sully's room, brown. That will age with him well.

For the little guys! Bright green. I did this in my youngests room as a whole wall of bright green was too much. He's 8 and I can't see this changing for at least another 2 years.

I did the mural part when he was in K (he's in 2nd now)
Fall06-01.jpg

And added the curtains in 1st

ImportedPhotos00075.jpg

Personally I don't do primer. I do multiple coats of the same color. Every time I've done primer, I need 2 coats over the primer, even if the primer is tinted. Plan for 2 coats no matter what, maybe 3 and buy GOOD paint. The quality makes a huge difference. I've used BERH, Valspar, Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams. The BM and the Sherwin Williams provided much better coverage even with a dark color in my opinion. Yes, they did cost more but ultimately saved me time and total coats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter