Whats the best diaper pail option for disposables?

blessedby3

Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my userna
I am trying to figure out what would be my best option for a diaper pail system. I had the diaper genie with my oldest 2 kids and hated it because it would stink so bad. Are there any out there now that take the diapers, but dont knock you out when you change the pail? It would be upstairs in our bedroom for now by the changing table and I dont want my bedroom to stink either. Any suggestions for something that has worked well for you?

I have not found one that does not at some point stink. We used the Diaper Depot from Babies R Us because you would use just about any bag in there. You did not have to buy the bags specifically for the unit.

I really think the key is a box of baking soda in the bottom of what ever one you buy and changing it often.

I really think the key is a box of baking soda in the bottom of what ever one you buy and changing it often.

Thats the key....any poop left in a bag for a couple of days, even wrapped tightly in a diaper, will stink! Gross, but true!

We have been using the Diaper Champ....granted only for three months now, but we love it! You can use any trash bags with it, which is a nice bonue over the Genie. But, granted, I don't smell roses when we change the bag;)

We have a Diaper Champ that uses any type of bag (great for all those Wal-Mart and Target bags). We only put urine diapers in it--soiled diapers go directly outside to the garbage can. But it still stinks.:sad2: There's just no way for one not to stink unless you diligently clean it every week. At least that's what I think. :confused3

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will check into the Diaper Champ. I guess I was hoping for a miracle.

I used the Diaper Champ with ds and it stunk. I tried cleaning it and soaking it, but it still stunk. Eventually the seal eroded and it stunk even more. Towards the end of his diaper days, I switched to Diaper Dekor and love it. While it still stinks, it only stinks when you pop a dirty diaper in, or empty it out. Granted I only use it for dd now and only change it on garbage day so its almost spilling over. The other downside is that you have to use their bags (though I thought it said any bag would work) which isnt cheap, but they last a long time (over a month). It can be used down the road as a regular garbage can too which is a plus, and its easy to clean.

We have a diaper champ going on 12 months now! Love it! It uses any bags you dont have to open it until you change the bag! And you can put baking soda and moth balls in helps kill the smell! For the mere few minutes it will take to empty the bag it's nothing! Also I recommend clean it weekly with bleach and this also helps keep the smell down! Never the less diapers are diapers they will stink just like anything else if left around a few hours!

You ladies corrected me, you are right it's the Diaper Champ, but there is a Diaper Depot at Target. I just returned the Depot because it was not working right and it was too big. So it's the Champ that we liked with our first baby and will get another one soon.

I used the genie for our first ds for a short while and we found it to be a hassle. I just use the bags from the grocery store and take them out a few time a day...it really isn't a big deal at all and it free:)

We had a diaper genie with oldest DD, but it did stink. With youngest DD we just put wet diapers in the trash, that was emptied daily and put poopie diapers in a plastic grocery bag and took them outside to the garbage. No more stink since the stink was outside.

I had the Diaper Genie with my oldest and the Diaper Champ with my 2nd - both were worthless as far as holding in the smell as far as I am concerned (or maybe my kids were just extra stinky!).

With DS we just use a small stainless steel step can that DH purchased at Target. Granted we have to change it almost every day but that has not been that big of a deal. We don't have any smell unless the can is open. It takes the small garbage bags. I think the trash can was $20. Once DS starts eating solids and is wearing bigger size diapers I'm not so sure how well this set up will work but for now it is great.

We had the Diape Genie at first and used it about two days. I found it to be worthless. It filled up so quickly, that I found myself emptying it all the time anyway. I used it with twins, so I guess that made a difference. From that point on, we never used a diaper pail. It just seemed like a waste of time. All our diapers went in the kitchen trash. Poop diapers went in to a plastic bag and then into the trash. We used either grocery bags or the gallon plastic baggies and just tied them off and popped them into the trash. We empty our kitchen trash so frequently that it never was stinky.

We had a diaper genie when my oldest was little and it smelled bad!

So we didn't even get anything for our youngest. We take them (poop diapers) outside to the garbage can. And the others we put in the kitchen trash can because we take it out every day anyway.

Sandra

We had big plans to use a diaper genie, but in the end, we are using a good old fashioned trash can! We got a smaller one (about half the size of a standard kitchen one) so that so many diapers wouldn't pile up. Then, we bought the smell good kind of trash bags. It still stinks a little when you open the lid, but other than that, it works for us!
I do often pretend that I don't notice how full it is--so my husband has to empty it! hee hee!

Well we have the Diaper Champ as well. I have mixed feelings about it as I suppose I would with any diaper bin! Anyways, it has been okay for us. We have just one DC so that would obviously help in not having too much sheer quantity. DH had a knack of tearing out the liner type thing that came with the pail so both of our units I suspect have more stink than they should. That being said, even without the liner part (please beware and do not get over-zealous when cleaning out your pail), it has held up well and is not too stinky. I change it about twice a week (the one with #2) and only once a week (the one with mostly urine only from my DS's room). It may stink a bit when you open the lid, but why wouldn't it???? It's full of crap!!!!

Anyways, my very candid 2 cents. Good luck.

BTW, I used scented "ruffies" brand garbage bags which helps a bit.

I use the Dekor diaper pail & am very happy with it. Low odor & easy to change liner bags.

We used the Diaper Genie with our first ds and I ended up hating it. What I use now with my youngest is those blue scented bags that you can find in the baby section or the scented "poopy" bags that they sell in pet stores. Wrap the stinky in that, throw it in the inside garbage can and it eventually ends up outside. Our inside garbage goes out at least once every three days so those scented bags keep the smell pretty contained until the can gets dumped to the outside can. Works for us.

Even with disposables if you dump as much poop as you can off the diaper into the toilet, they stink a lot less in the pail.

I use cloth mostly, but use disposables at night and did the poop dump out of habit. It works though!

Okay I think I am leaning toward not getting a diaper pail and using the "good smelling" bags and putting them in the regular trash. We also change our kitchen trash every other day so maybe that will work best. I just hate the smell of that pail when you go to change it, but as a PP stated "its full of poop!" so it should smell. Thanks for the opinions everyone:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!