What's so special about Port Orleans?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by hurricane, Jun 11, 2014.

1. hurricane

hurricane Earning My Ears

I'm from the New Orleans area and I always hear people raving about POR. I've never stayed there, I just wanted to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Not that the place seems unappealing, but I'm not one the have a "home away from home" vacation. But I will definitely visiting this resort next year. :)

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. BeckyEsq

BeckyEsq Mouseketeer.

The crucial point for us is that it's a Moderate but has Queen sized beds.

4. saskdw

saskdw DIS Veteran

IMO there is nothing special about it, other than DIS boards has something called the POR army that invades every thread telling people how great it is. :lmao:

In all seriousness it is a decent Mod resort. We come from western Canada to WDW in the dead of winter so we prefer more tropical scenery like CSR or CBR. The POR look can be found at any lake here all summer and not what I'm looking for in a winter vacation. CSR has waaaay more amenities to offer for the same money so we stay there.

5. V2000

V2000 Mouseketeer

Well I think it's great. Last year was my first year staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I am rebooking the same resort this year. This is a moderate resort but for the price I find a great value. It's beautiful with walking paths along the river. Food is at good price for families (compared to other locations). I would recommend staying in one of the mansion buildings.

So I guess it's your opinion. Take a look at this link and decide if it's for you.

http://www.portorleans.org/magnolia-bend.php

6. PinkBudgie

PinkBudgie <font color=deeppink>Expert Disneyland Snowball Ma

We are staying at POFQ (not POR but close), but I haven't been yet. I picked it because it is small and has a boat to DTD. It looks pretty in the pictures but that isn't why I picked it.
    I feel kind of the same way about the Wilderness Lodge. My parents are from the Pacific Northwest so we visited grandparents up there every summer. That one wasn't even on my radar just because I didn't want to fly 3000 miles to stay at a place that looks like somewhere we could just drive up to. I'm sure it's great, but I couldn't get over that prejudice. So I can totally understand wanting to be somewhere different than what is ordinary to you.

7. JustCallMeMommy

JustCallMeMommy DIS Veteran

I grew up an hour from New Orleans and did not stay at POR for the NO theme. I stayed there specifically for the Royal Rooms. I liked that the location of these rooms was very close to the main building and the bus stops (as opposed to CSR where, even though we stayed in what is now a preferred room, it was a hike to the main building and it took several days to figure out the "maze" you had to go through to get to our room).

The RR have beds with a button to make fireworks go off in the headboard, and I loved waking up during the night to press the button. All of the princess and prince touches in the room were delightful, too.

8. saskdw

saskdw DIS Veteran

There is no preferred room at CSR that would take me more than 3-4 mins to walk to the food court and most are with in a 2 min walk. There is a video on Buzz's site where someone records walking from the far reaches of the Ranchos section to the main building in 7 mins at a normal walking pace. So to say a preferred room is a long walk to food court is misleading to people trying to decide where to stay.

It's also a well known fact that the Royal rooms at POR are in the least desirable location at POR. Thats why they made those rooms the Royal rooms. Just like the Pirate rooms at CBR are in the worst location. Not looking to argue, I just want people to have truthful information to make a decision best for them.

9. hurricane

hurricane Earning My Ears

WOW looks just like Oak Alley
    [URL="http://www.oakalleyplantation.com" http://www.oakalleyplantation.com[/URL]

10. pigletgirl

pigletgirl <font color=green>You do have a life. It is just i

Yep, I feel the same about CSR. Both DH and my families live in AZ, so I don't feel the need to stay in a southwest themed resort. ;)

11. farrahalex76

farrahalex76 Mouseketeer

I'm from south MS and I had a fear that I wouldn't like POR because it would look to much like home but that didn't happen. I loved the resort it will be very hard for me to try anything new from now own. It is so beautiful, loved the pool, River Roost and Boatrights. The food court was good just crazy, it's hard to manage a food court when you have 3 little ones and they all want something different.

12. joannamet

joannamet Mouseketeer

I don't think the New Orleans theme is the real draw for most people although it is beautiful and quite serene. We love it because its surprisingly quiet and for such a large resort, its not difficult to get around. Worth the extra money over a value resort for sure.

13. Kat913

Kat913 Mouseketeer

It's really just a personal preference. We have stayed at all the moderates & POR is our favorite. I find the grounds beautiful & peaceful & enjoy the DDD boat & the activities there - like carriage rides, the bicycles, the fishing & campfire & bob the piano man. :thumbsup2
    I also think it has a decent pool.
    I don't really care for CSR but to each his own. As far as walking distance to main bldg I find they all have rooms that are a little further (except POFQ which is small & quaint ) but we never mind walking & don't find that to be a bother.
    I can definitely understand wanting to stay somewhere where the theming is different than home.

14. Kalea

Kalea Mouseketeer

We stayed in a Royal Room last October, and didn't find the location to be undesirable in the least. There was about a 2-minute walk to the main building/food court, the bus stop, the main pool, and the quiet pool; also the movie was right outside our building.

I haven't stayed in any other buildings at POR, so I don't have much of a basis for comparison. There might be MORE desirable rooms. But there wasn't anything bad about these.

15. lucas

lucas °o°

I'm originally from New Orleans, too.

When people rave about Port Orleans (POR), remember there are 2 sections to the Port Orleans Resort. Port Orleans Riverside (POR) is more like plantation country. Port Orleans French Quarter (PORFQ) is like the French Quarter, as the name says. Both are picturesque moderate resorts, but PORFQ is much smaller. They have gumbo, po ' boys, muffalettas, jambalaya, and beignets in their food court. But, they are no match for the real thing we get in NOLA!

Here is a site that has lots of info: http://www.portorleans.org/

P.S. We are checking into PORFQ this coming weekend!

16. Angieandsteve

Angieandsteve Earning My Ears

I agree completely.

17. LadyP

LadyP Earning My Ears

I would love to visit New Orleans some day but I don't like that theme of decor, in general. There are authentic Mardi Gras masks, huge ones, in the food court at POFQ that are a little scary. HOWEVER, POFQ is the smallest resort so the pool, the food court and the bus stop were all very close to our room. It was soo nice. If I would stay at POR, I would pay extra for the preferred room to be close to pool, dining facilities, bus, etc.

18. AtlantaDisneyDreamer

AtlantaDisneyDreamer Mouseketeer

Not a part of the POR Army, but we loved our stay there last year and I often tell people what a great resort it is.

There are winding paths around the "river," and I enjoyed just walking around in the evening. It feels very quiet and relaxed.

The pool has a fun, kind of Tom Sawyer feel, and it is shady and well-landscaped.

The water wheel is a nice touch, too. We enjoyed the food court very much. We never saw major crowds other than during prime breakfast hours, and the food was quite good.

We are from the South ourselves, and we love the feel and the theme of the resort. The music is fun, too.

The boat to DTD was convenient, and there was a pirate cruise for the kids that looked like it would be a lot of fun.

We stayed in the Royal Rooms, and yes, they are a bit of a walk to the food court, but personally, I loved walking around the beautiful resort so much that I enjoyed getting exercise in such a beautiful place. We were also glad that the Royal Rooms did not require us to use the main bus depot. It was always a lot more crowded than the East Depot, which was closer to our room. And the bus stopped for us first, which meant we always had a seat (at least on the way to the parks... the way home was another story...).

19. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

FWIW, all the mods have queen beds except CBR - however, they are currently going through a refurb and will have queens when they're done...

People gravitate towards POFQ because it's small. All rooms are preferred because you can walk from one end of the resort to the other in 5 minutes. The DTD boat from both POFQ and POR is a really nice perk, especially considering how awful bus service to DTD is. Lately, driving to and from DTD is worse due to the construction.

It's a little less clear why people gravitate towards POR. The royal rooms and the fact that its the only mod that holds families of 5 (except the cabins) are definite draws. For us, it's the food court - we think its the best on property.

20. xipotec

xipotec Grinning Ghosts

Wow , really interesting reading such opposing views on this resort! It os a well know favorite on DIS....

I steer clear of the whole mess and stay at the POLY (Unless your from Hawaii I suppose).

Oh wait.....construction there! Better not stay if your from NYC either , might remind you of home too!
    :P

21. stephm0188

stephm0188 Mouseketeer

I thought the Royal Room location was okay. They're not that much further from the food court than the preferrred rooms, so I don't think it's fair to say that the location is undesirable. The grounds were pretty.

The only thing I didn't care for was the transportation system.