What's Next? A Minnie-dining Review-Updated Jiko 11/19

figment814

Mouseketeer
Welcome to my mini/minnie dining review!

DBF and I own at DVC, but we also have another timeshare. This was a short trip mainly booked for food and wine fest, but also ended up being an opportunity for me to check out FLE.

The main purpose of this trip is food, but I will include a few non-trip related bonuses as well!

Friday November 2
Lunch/Dinner: Singapore, Florida and Italy
Lunch/Dinner: South Africa, China, Desserts!

Saturday November 3
Bonus: Fantasyland Preview Part 1, Part 2
Lunch: Oivias at Old Key West
Snack: Goofy's at DTD
Bonus: Characters in Flight
Dinner: Jiko

Sunday November 4
Lunch/Dinner: Food and Wine Fest
LUnch/Dinner: Chefs de France

Monday
Bonus: Marriott Grande Vista...a Review of Sorts
Breakfast: Market Street Cafe in Celebration
Bonus: Pontoon Ride at Bay Lake

After checking into the Marriott Grande Vista, we headed over to Epcot for Lunch/Dinner. Neither of us had eaten since breakfast, so we were quite hungry when we arrived.

I wanted to branch out from the usual this time, as I had normally played it safe. DBF is a very picky eater, but in some ways he really surprised me this trip.

Our first stop was Singapore:

Beef Rendang with Jasmine Rice.

We found a table with some space that we shared with another couple...who happened to be really drunk. They mentioned that the beef was really spicy and we would need a beer to wash it down!:) Neither of us were in a drinking mood, but we both took one bite and knew they were right! :rotfl: We both really enjoyed this dish...it had a lot of heat, but the meat was tender and juicy. The rice wasn't very special, but it helped tone down the heat for me.

The next stop was Florida
DSC00550.jpg

White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rilette and Zellwood Sweet Corn Salad

DBF took to standing outside the booth and watching what people walked away with that looked good, and he wanted to try this. He liked it so much, he ended up getting a second one. The corn was a little different and had a bit of citrus taste to it, it was also nicely crisp. The Rillette was something neither of us had had before, and the flavor and texture were good, but the taste was not overpowering.

Italy

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

Ravioli Di Formaggia all Emiliana (Baked Cheese Ravioli with Creamy Beef Bolognese Sauce, Parmesean Cheese, and Melted Mozzarella), Salsiccia e "Papacelli" Napoletani (Sweet Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions on Ciaibatta Bread)

I was not surprised at all that DBF wanted to grab both the sausage and the ravioli. in an ideal world I wouldn't have gotten either, as these are both things I can eat regularly at home, but if he wants to try them, who am I to say no?

The Ravioli was rich...too rich for me, I only had a bite or two. It was tasty, but there was not enough sauce for my liking.

The sausage was also not that special, it didn't have enough spice for me and it was only lukewarm.

Next up...South Africa, China and Desserts!

Yum! Looking forward to more of your Minnie dining report! ::MinnieMo

I was, unbelievably already starting to get full! I blame the rich ravioli in Italy! I was really looking forward to China, so I held off at

South Africa

DSC00555.jpg

Seared Filet of Beef with Smashed Sweet Potatoes and Braai Sauce

You will notice this is sans sweet potatoes. I knew picky DBF wouldn't eat them, and since I wasn't eating they weren't necessary. As I exited the booth we heard a few people complaining about the sweet potatoes, so I was extra glad we didn't bother. For us was good, but not great. The meat was tender, but I rather try something different next time.

China

DSC00557.jpg

Mongolian Beef in a Steamed Bun

For some reason I was really looking forward to this dish, it wasn't all that exciting...but the picture conjured a taste in my mind that I HAD to try. While it didn't blow me away, I really enjoyed this. It had great flavor combos and the steamed bun was soft and yummy.

DSC00556.jpg

Pork Potstickers

The potstickers were DBFs choice, but I had a small bite. They were good but just your run of the mill potstickers.

Desserts and Champagne

DSC00558.jpg

Yogurt Panna Cotta with Orange Cake, Raspberries and Pomegranate

I was not expecting this to be good, the flavor combo just sounded weird...and orange cake:crazy2:! But I surprisingly really liked this. The orange cake and panna cotta combo tasted like a dreamsicle.

DSC00560.jpg

Lemon Custard Verrine with Blueberry Compote

On the contrary, I had high hopes for the lemon custard, but didn't like it at all. I normally like the lemon blueberry combo, but this was just too sour!

DSC00559.jpg

Dark Chocolate Mousse with Chili and Salted Caramel

I had tried the mousse when I was at Food & Wine in October, and LOVED it. My serving had been spicy, but was well balanced with salty and sweet. I couldn't wait to try it again! As soon as the first bite cross my lips I knew this one wasn't as good as the first, but I soldiered on...but it never hit the spiciness level of the original. It was still very good, but the spice was WAY toned down. I briefly wondered if they had received complaints :confused3....but maybe my first batch was the "off" one. Regardless...we did end up buying the food and wine recipe book, and I plan on trying this during the holidays.

We were sufficiently filled up by now, and decided to head home! After all...I had to rest up for AP Fantasyland preview in the morning! :cheer2:

While our trip was not planned because of the Annual Passholder Fantasyland Preview, I was happy that I was able to get a time slot on our little trip. Notice the use of the word I. DBF didn’t have an annual pass at that time, and I did…so I woke him at the crack of dawn so I could be dropped off early for my 8 a.m. slot. It was still dark when we left our offsite condo!

I got my wristband and headed towards the ferry. I thought it would be quicker than the monorail.

DSC00564.jpg

It was nice watching the sun come up as we crossed to MK.

DSC00565.jpg

Somehow, I managed to be first in line at my turnstile!

DSC00568.jpg

We were told initially that we had to wait…

DSC00569.jpg

Until someone actually asked!

DSC00571.jpg

And then I grabbed my place behind the mob

DSC00574.jpg

And more mob appeared!

DSC00575.jpg

Until finally…

After a short wait I arrived at the magical land I had been dreaming of!

DSC00576.jpg

I rode Little Mermaid first…and there was basically no line…and not time to appreciate the queue. (I only have blurry pictures of the first go, as I walked too fast!)

I then headed to my meet and greet with Belle...there was a short wait. She was fantastic!

Next I headed to check out Be Our Guest…

DSC00580.jpg

while most people were thrilled that it would be opening for lunch…I was not! I wouldn’t be able to stay to eat. ☹

DSC00581.jpg

Since it was opening for the lunch…the self guided tour was a peak at one dining room.

DSC00582.jpg

I headed back to The Little Mermaid Ride and the line said 30 minutes, but I had time to spare so I jumped in.

DSC00583.jpg

DSC00586.jpg

Before I left, I walked around the SMALL shop and Gaston’s Tavern (definitely experience preview hiccups…it was the longest line I waited in!) I tried LeFous Brew…I enjoyed the first few sips…but then it became overly sweet. I called DBF, told him I was done…and instructed him to pick me up at the Polynesian!

I have made reservations at Olivia's the last several trips, but always ended up canceling it. Old Key West just never seemed convenient! We initially had reservations for Dinner our first night, but ended up canceling that too. While at the Poly, I called Disney Dining and first asked for Tony's Town Square as I had never eaten there. I figured I could talk DBF into using his newly minted Annual Pass to enter Magic Kingdom for lunch. They had one available, but it disappeared as the CM and I were chatting. Liberty Tree Tavern was open an hour later, but I wanted to try something new....so I asked about Olivia's and there was a reservation open an hour and a half from then!

Well...we got there in less than 30 minutes...so we drove around for a few minutes, and walked around the store. When we got to the check in desk there were only two other families in the whole restaurant!

We promptly ordered. DBF chose

DSC00588.jpg

Olivia's Classic Burger - topped with applewood smoked bacon and cheddar cheese $13.99 This was perfect for him...plain and simple burger. I tasted it, and would definitely consider getting it in the future.

I ordered

DSC00589.jpg

Cuban Sandwich - Pork Loin, Ham, Swiss Cheese, Pickles, pressed and served hot $11.49 I chose the chips, as I thought I would be less likely to mindlessly eat them!:rotfl2: The sandwich okay, I had honestly expected more. BUT, this would not stop be from going back to Olivia's...in fact, I can't wait to go back. I loved the casual atmosphere...and there were a number of other things that I would like to try.

After Olivia's we headed to Goofy's Candy Company and I forgot over some cold hard cash for this....

DSC00591.jpg

Now I'm not sure why I chose this, except I seem to get it every year, and then wish I didn't! I really want the pretzel rods, but for some reason...I can't bring myself to spend $9 for pretzel rods.

So I get a gingerbread mickey and barely manage to eat one of his limbs!

After I shopped for a bit, and DBF napped in a chair outside Goofy's. No really, napped! I came back to him snoring softly.:rotfl2:

We started to walk and the next thing I knew he had purchased tickets for Characters in Flight.

DSC00593.jpg

He didn't give me a chance to get nervous...and once he purchased the tickets...it was a done deal!

It was actually a much better, (and shorter) experience than I expected. The operator was excellent at explaining what we would experience...so the jolts didn't make me so nervous!

I was too busy looking around...so I didn't take alot of pictures.

DSC00594.jpg

While it was expensive for such a short trip, under 10 minutes, I think it was definitely worth it. The view you get of the World is amazing!

Jiko is my my favorite restaurant on property...bar none. While not horrible, this experience did not live up to our previous visits.

When we arrived, about 10 minutes before our ADR we were handed a pager. I asked if we would be seated around the time of our ADR, but the hostess wouldn't give an estimate. She seemed very overwhelmed at the time, so I just took my pager and we staked out some wall space as the bar was full.

We were seated after a bit.

DBF once again spied the wild boar appetizer. We had ordered this several years ago, and he though it was too rare. The next year we asked if they could cook it medium, and we were told no. I reminded him of this, but he asked anyway...and this time the waitress said, "No problem!"

DSC00597.jpg

Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin - with Mealie Pap, Chakalaka, White Truffle Oil and Micro Cilantro $16.00

This was even better than last time..the boar was tender, yet flavorful. The accompaniments were flavorful.

DBF wanted to try another appetizer as well, so we decided to get a flat bread, but we couldn't decide. I had wanted to try the peri-peri chicken main dish for some time, but I've loved the appies so much that I haven't, so I finally chose this one.

DSC00596.jpg

Peri Peri Chicken flatbread

I liked this even more than expected. Jiko really knows how to do flatbread.

Unfortunately, our service was quite poor this evening and we received our apps before we received our bread. In fact, we didn't receive bread until I asked for it.

DSC00598.jpg

I was trying to avoid bread this trip...but I was starving, as the time between our apps and our main course was about 45 minutes...I started munching on the bread.

Finally,our meals arrived.

DBF ordered his standard

DSC00599.jpg

Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon - ancient grain pilaf, heirloom pole beans, South African Red Wine Sauce .

He substituted the mac and cheese. I have not been impressed with the mac and cheese in past trips, but this time it was really rich and tasty.

I ordered this for my main course:

DSC00600.jpg

Crispy Beef "Bobotie" Roll - with Cucumber Raita, Green Mango Atjar, and Honey-roasted Groundnuts

I have had this a number of times, and loved it! I have always loved the spice of the beef and how it was complemented by the cucumber raita. Unfortunately, this time they were barely warm, and weren't crispy at all.

I was getting full at this point, but I really wanted dessert! I was sad that my favorite...one last cup had disappeared off the menu, but I thought this might fill the void....

DSC00601.jpg

Chocolate and Tea Safari-Vanilla Rooibos-Tanzanian Chocolate Cake, Free Form "Kit Kat", and Green Tea Ice Cream

Well, I liked 1/3 of it! The cake was actually very good...it was dense and rich, but not overwhelming. Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of green tea, so I wasn't surprised that I didn't enjoy the ice cream. I expectd the free form kit kat to call to mind the flavors of a kit kat, but it didn't.

Overall, it was still a good experience...but it wasn't as wonderful as I had come to expect. I still have my reservations for April, so it can't be that bad!

We love Jiko :goodvibes

I've seen the "ice cream and kit-kat" dessert on a few reviews now.

I'd really like to try it out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter