What's in Galveston Cruise Terminal

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by StephenKay, Mar 25, 2013.

1. eggroll

eggroll eggroll

You are ok. If you are renting a car empty it out. Auto theft is common in Houston area. Are you renting a car? I can give shopping and advice too.

Thx teddy

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MAD4EEYORE

MAD4EEYORE DIS Veteran

Thank you! It's hard to find any information on the Houston and Galveston areas. Didn't know what we are getting into.

We are driving from Georgia actually. We were thinking of leaving the car at the hotel and taking the shuttle. Is that a good idea? Should we park at a lot or park at the port? What do you suggest? Any information you have would be great!

4. okstategrads

okstategrads Earning My Ears

If I've registered my kids online do I still need to do something before we get on the ship?

5. eggroll

eggroll eggroll

I think it's cheaper to leave it at the hotel. However, if you do a park and ride you will get home much faster.

You are also close to a Walmart, a Kroger grocery, and an academy outdoor if you need anything. If you are going to get booze, there is specs around the corner, and they are great.

They are some good places to eat to

Chain restaurants

Landrys
    Rainforest cafe
    McDonald's
    Salt grass

Locals restaurants

The spot - hamburgers / good hangout on the water

Gaidos / Chris - this is a Galveston landmark. The two are connected. Gaidos is upper scale and more $$. Chris is cheaper and more laid back. Neither are fancy.
    Both are good

Di Bella's - Italian, it's in a neighborhood and pretty authentic. The ribeye is amazing. I would wash my hair in the marinade.

Tourist stuff

You are around the corner from schlitterbahn. It's is an indoor/outdoor waterpark. Fun.

Schlitterbah Is on the same lot as moody gardens -
    It's a place like a butterfly/bird garden. Has an IMAX too. Not bad but $$.

Pleasure pier - little park with rides on the pier. It's like something you would see in Santa monica, ca or on that cartoon despicable me. It's kinda pricey too.

Hope it helps.

Teddy

6. MAD4EEYORE

MAD4EEYORE DIS Veteran

Thank you Teddy for all the information. I'm excited to visit the area as I've never been to that area of Texas. I'll have to try a few of the local restaurants you mentioned. I like to eat at local places I don't have here at home.

Thanks again
    Tanya

7. eggroll

eggroll eggroll

If you guys come in on a Friday afternoon, go to Perry's steakhouse on Bay Area blvd in clear lake. It's close to NASA.

This Perry's is fancy shmancy. There others are like butcher shops. There is pork chop special that is 3-4 inches thick that can feed two adults. It's only 9.99 on Fridays and Wednesdays. It's great value and amazing.

281-286-8800

This is the type of place that rent out wine cellars and put family names on them.

It's a high end experience for great cost. If you go outside of lunch it will cost you 40-60$ per person.

Get the Mont Blanc or bananas foster. They are table side made desserts that are memorable.

Teddy

8. princessmommyx3

princessmommyx3 Mouseketeer

We stayed at this hotel before our February cruise and I thought it was great. It seemed safe and was very new and clean. There were tons of other cruisers staying there and I saw some using the hotel shuttle to leave/return from the port. Like the PP said, if you leave your car at the hotel and use the hotel shuttle, it will probably take you longer to get back to your car after the cruise but that might be the cheapest option. We used Lighthouse Parking and were pleased with it.