What's better than celebrating your 40th @ WDW?!? Single Digits!!

1Grumpy9

DIS Veteran
This is my first attempt at a PTR, so bear with me on this...it may be a stumbling ground.

Where do I start...Well, let's start with introductions:

First there is me, Amy. I am 39 yrs old Disney nut that is constantly thinking of when I am going back to Disney. I work for the Department of Transportation in PA and an avid hockey and NASCAR fan. My paychecks go towards going to AHL and ECHL hockey games in the central PA area. My first trip to WDW was in February of 1979 when I was just 2yrs old. My parents and grandparents would go to Daytona for the NASCAR races and we would take a day and go to Orlando and visit MK. We visited every year for the first 5 yrs. We then would venture to the other parks during our trips. When I was in High School my marching band was invited to perform both my freshman year and my junior year. My freshman year was pretty cool because we got to march before the Spectromagic Parade. My junior year we marched before the 3pm parade and we marched around World Showcase. I had my first stay on property in 2011 when I went with 2 friends and we stayed at Pop. In 2013, I convinced my parents to go for Christmas week and we stayed at FW. Last year I went with another friend and we road tripped it to Disney (because it was cheaper than flying) and we stayed at ASMo

meandarora.jpg

Favorite Park(s): MK and EPCOT
Favorite Ride(s): Soarin', ToT, HM, Carousel of Progress, Tikiroom
Favorite Snack: Dole Whip and Mickey Bar
Favorite CS Restaurant: Columbia Harbor House
Favorite Restaurant: Hoop Dee Do Review

The cast of characters is finalized as three other good friends:

Stephanie (who traveled with me in 2011 and 2013)
Abbey (who traveled with me in 2014)
Kristin (this is her first time traveling with us to Disney)

I have a friend in Cleveland that is looking into coming for a long weekend, but hasn't confirmed it yet. I have a cousin that lives in Florida that I would like to invite for HDDR or just up for the weekend (she is a teacher).

Now onto the plans:

When: October 31-Nov 11, 2016
Where: Pop Century
Tickets: Right now it is a 4 day pass and we can add the 5th day when we get there
Dining Plan: no as we weren't eligible for free dining

What Restaurants I would like to go to:
Hoop Dee Do Review (birthday dinner)
Ohana
Biergarden (don't know if we will go as we are going to dine at F&W all day)
Be Our Guest
1900 Park Fare
Beaches and Cream
(more to be added)

Days:
Oct 31 - arrive :cool1:and MNSSHP
Nov 1 - Off Day (day to rest after a long day before with travel and halloween party)
Nov 2 - Animal Kingdom
Nov 3 - EPCOT
Nov 4 - Hollywood Studios
Nov 5 - Off Day
Nov 6 - Off Day (possible Hoop Dee Do Review)
Nov 7 - Off Day
Nov 8 - EPCOT
Nov 9 - Magic Kingdom
Nov 10 - MVMCP
Nov 11 - Travel Home (late flight home) :(

Last edited:
So I am patiently (well, not really) for 2016 prices to be added. I am hoping this plan works out that some family and friends can join me in this trip.

Some more things I would like to do:

Trails End
Behind the Seeds Tour
Trader Sams
Via Napoli
Go to a Waterpark

Here is where I was looking at staying if I do a split stay:

Moderate - POFQ or POR

I am looking at a 6 day park ticket this is my breakdown that I am thinking for parks:

1 day MK
2 days EPCOT
1 day HS
1 day AK

This would leave one more day and I could go back to MK, but if I do the MNSSHP and MVMCP that would be almost 3 days at MK, so I think I may go to AK to just roam around or I could park hop to HS that day too.

So apparently the 2016 prices were released and I try to get prices so I can let people I have invited know what they are looking at and the only resorts that have availability is the Deluxe resorts. I am hoping that it is just a glitch in the system

So I got talking more about this trip with my very good friend Stephanie (she traveled with me in 2011 and for Christmas 2013) and she is a "go" for the whole trip. A little while later, I was talking to another friend and she said she might want to join us...I don't know if she would be staying with us as she has family that works for Disney and can get some discounts through them. She has never been there for the Halloween party and would like to do that.

Ok, so after discussing with Stephanie, we have decided on renting points for the entire trip. It would be cheaper than a split stay or staying at a value resort. If we can get 4 people to stay the entire time, we can stay at Boardwalk Villas for a very reasonable price. If not, then we can re-evaluate where we are going to stay. The top three would be:

Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas
Boardwalk Villas
Old Key West

We also thought about either driving down or driving home instead of driving both ways. I am thinking we should drive home because it would give us space to put all of our goodies we bought...LOL!!! If we want to we can rent the car for a couple of days at the end of the trip and make our excursions the end of the trip and drive home with that car.

I started looking at going on the Autotrain from Lorton, VA. I have to check with Stephanie if she would be able to do that trip as she gets motion sickness. If we have 4 people for the whole trip, then it would be the best way to have a car and not pay for the rental and we can have a familiar car with us the whole time and only drive from VA home to PA.

After doing a little bit of research for my February trip to Daytona...I looked into flying into Jacksonville instead of Orlando. It was a couple of dollars cheaper. I have added that option into my table to present to everyone. If we do that, we can rent a car there and drive the whole time in Florida and then drive back to Jacksonville for our return flight home.

I also talked with Stephanie and she wants to definitely eat at BOG and Biergarten.

I worked some new numbers for my spreadsheet and we can rent the points for AKV and it would save us all a little over $100 each. I have been putting coins in my coffee jar regularly to save up money. I was going to use it for Vegas this past March, but decided against it. So I should have a good amount of change. I also have at least $75.00 in Disney gift cards. I am saving them up too.

I have another person ready to go on this trip now...It is Stephanie's friend Will. He really wants to go this year, but is willing to wait until next year. Now just keep saving up the money for the deposit for the room and we will be all set. Now just one more person for either the whole time or to split with someone we would be all set.

On another note...I am headed to Daytona in February for the races and I am trying to get a day to go to Disney. My parents have two non-expiring tickets from 2001 and they still have days on them. I just don't know if I am going to go the Monday after the race or Tuesday after the race. I let my parents know that I want to go for a day and I was willing to go by myself.

Another update on my February day at MK...I scored a BOG lunch ADR yesterday for 3 people...yes you are reading that right...3. My mom and I talked last night and both her and my dad are going to go along.

I have nothing on the big trip next year yet. I think it is more of a holding pattern until we know we have a hotel.

When I first put this out that I wanted to do a big birthday trip, I told a couple of friends that live out of state from me to keep that in their heads that they were welcome to join me for the whole time or for a shorter trip. My friend Catie (who just got back from WDW about a month ago) and her new fiance are going to join us for an extended weekend. I am super excited for them to join us. Catie is a good friend and I can't wait to meet her prince Erick!!!

Finally some news about my trip. I talked to my friend Abbey (who went with me last Oct) last night and she is up for the whole trip also. This will bring out price down a little bit (which doesn't hurt). She also asked if we were driving or not. I said I wasn't sure, but it isn't out of the question for the both of us. Stephanie and Will are not ones to drive, so I think if we do road trip it, it will just be Abbey and myself (which I am not opposed to). If it is cheaper for us to drive, I will drive. If it is cheaper for us to fly...I will fly.

Three weeks from today I will be putting in my request to David's Vacation Rentals for renting DVC points. I am excited, but also scared that we won't be able to get AKV. If not, then we will have to discuss what other options we will have.

Sounds awesome! We are going the 28th-7th next year. We as well are waiting on flights to be released to see if it will be cheaper to drive or fly!

Sounds awesome! We are going the 28th-7th next year. We as well are waiting on flights to be released to see if it will be cheaper to drive or fly!

Thanks for checking in on my PTR. My friend is still willing to drive, but if flights are going to stay the prices they are now, we will probably fly.

Now for an update:

I put in the request for renting points at AKL through David's Vacation Rentals. They didn't have AKL value studio, but they had OKW Studio. I gave them the OK to check for points for OKW (there was a $30 price difference).

Last night I got another email from David's and there aren't members that have points available when we are planning on going. So I have to check with my friends that are going with me on what would be our next step in plans. We may just stay in a value resort (as we are mostly there for sleeping).

I am in for this trip...looks like we will be there around the same time! We are renting DVC points too (my 3rd time doing this) and hopefully staying at BC/YC! We have not confirmed who is all going and staying together...BUT you cant go wrong with AKL or BW be AWARE both of them have VERY LONG WALKS to rooms from the main area! LOL...we did fitbit on our room last year at AKL and from the bus stop to the door was nearly 3/4 of a mile! I kid you not. If you do AKL, make sure you get a room with a view to one of the animal areas! That is a must...a room is not always a room in Disney. I love getting up early and just sitting on the balcony...AKL is great for this because the animals are there! The room we had at BW looked like an awful view...front pull in area of the resort...come to find out we could see both the fireworks from DHS and Epcot!!! Incredible!!!

On a renting note...David's charges far more for trying to book at the 11 month window then at the 7 month window. A lot of points will open up between then and now...11 month and 7 month. My suggestion is to book non DVC with Disney and put down $200 deposit but keep an open request with David and if something comes open you can get a refund with Disney for your $200 deposit (I do have another name of a company who I use...they are cheaper and seem to have better luck at 11 months if your heart is set on booking RIGHT NOW).

Last edited:
I am hoping that I can find a discount for rooms later in the year. We will probably do 2 value rooms (unless I can get a moderate room at a good discount).

They released the fall discounts for 2015 in April of 2015. I'm crossing my fingers they do the same thing for 2016. Crossing my fingers for free dining.

I saw you were pricing other airports. You may also want to price Stanford. That's where my friend who will be traveling with me has started flying into from Washington. Says the prices are much more reasonable especially if you are renting a car to get to the other places around Orlando anyway.

We had 3 adult women in 2013 share a moderate with no issues. My growing up family of 4 (mom, dad, me, and big little brother ..seriously dude was 6'1" 230 pounds at 15..all shared a value on multiple trips with no issues).

I am in for this trip...looks like we will be there around the same time! We are renting DVC points too (my 3rd time doing this) and hopefully staying at BC/YC! We have not confirmed who is all going and staying together...BUT you cant go wrong with AKL or BW be AWARE both of them have VERY LONG WALKS to rooms from the main area! LOL...we did fitbit on our room last year at AKL and from the bus stop to the door was nearly 3/4 of a mile! I kid you not. If you do AKL, make sure you get a room with a view to one of the animal areas! That is a must...a room is not always a room in Disney. I love getting up early and just sitting on the balcony...AKL is great for this because the animals are there! The room we had at BW looked like an awful view...front pull in area of the resort...come to find out we could see both the fireworks from DHS and Epcot!!! Incredible!!!

On a renting note...David's charges far more for trying to book at the 11 month window then at the 7 month window. A lot of points will open up between then and now...11 month and 7 month. My suggestion is to book non DVC with Disney and put down $200 deposit but keep an open request with David and if something comes open you can get a refund with Disney for your $200 deposit (I do have another name of a company who I use...they are cheaper and seem to have better luck at 11 months if your heart is set on booking RIGHT NOW).

We were also looking at BWV, but we are also trying to make this trip as economical as possible since it is a longer trip to take (normally we usually take a week trip, not a 11 night trip).

I am going to get back with David's and let them keep my request open to see if we can get something. We are also holding off to putting down money for a room at Disney. I love going to Disney during that time of year...with going that long, we can catch both Halloween and Christmas parties. We will also have some down time to just relax or go on adventures around town. If we fly, we will rent a car for the days we need it or if we drive, we will have a car all the time.

We were also looking at BWV, but we are also trying to make this trip as economical as possible since it is a longer trip to take (normally we usually take a week trip, not a 11 night trip).

I am going to get back with David's and let them keep my request open to see if we can get something. We are also holding off to putting down money for a room at Disney. I love going to Disney during that time of year...with going that long, we can catch both Halloween and Christmas parties. We will also have some down time to just relax or go on adventures around town. If we fly, we will rent a car for the days we need it or if we drive, we will have a car all the time.

I so understand economics...hate it but a reality. That's why I set a budget for myself on what is most important for me/those I am with for the trip...if we get a discount or promotion package that is just icing on the cake. This trip is all about gorging ourselves at F&W and of course running...LOL. So that is why we are looking at the Boardwalk Area to stay plus this trip really is not a lot about park hopping. We tried to book DVC last week for BC but no points are available right now for our stay either (we used a different company to avoid Davids 11 months booking window price hike) so we have an open request and if points are there then we will jump, as long as there is availability...which is what we are scared most about. I also stalk the DVC board her on DIS, sometimes you can get someone who has points to rent. Totally like renting DVC because you get deluxe for value prices.

CROSSING MY FINGERS FOR YOU THAT YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!! I think the most stressful thing about planning the trip is the whole room thing! Waiting and watching for discounts or trying to decide to make the leap and rent points.

I want to try and catch both parties too! I have been to MNSSHP and had soooo much fun! Then to see the park transformed overnight to Christmas...SIGH! Looking forward to my first Christmas Party...I am such a WISHES girl that a special showing of it makes my heart happy! Plus the fact that I have never truly watched a parade from start to finish...making myself this trip!

So loving your list of ADRS

Hoop Dee Do Review (Would love to do sometime!)
Ohana (a favorite)
Biergarden (oh...love this place)
Be Our Guest (hoping to do a breakfast and a lunch there...dinner was okay but does not fit this trip)
California Grill (love the WISHES view...on my list)
1900 Park Fare (not a personal favorite but I love the strawberry soup)
Beaches and Cream (love the grilled cheese...on my list)
(more to be added) (sorry of my life...so many places to experience)
Trails End (need to add to my list)
Behind the Seeds Tour (on my list for this trip...I love living with the land)
Trader Sams (must check out too)
Via Napoli (I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS PLACE!!!)
Go to a Waterpark (Cheating with BC pool)

Last edited:
So loving your list of ADRS

Hoop Dee Do Review (Would love to do sometime!)
Ohana (a favorite)
Biergarden (oh...love this place)
Be Our Guest (hoping to do a breakfast and a lunch there...dinner was okay but does not fit this trip)
California Grill (love the WISHES view...on my list)
1900 Park Fare (not a personal favorite but I love the strawberry soup)
Beaches and Cream (love the grilled cheese...on my list)
(more to be added) (sorry of my life...so many places to experience)
Trails End (need to add to my list)
Behind the Seeds Tour (on my list for this trip...I love living with the land)
Trader Sams (must check out too)
Via Napoli (I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS PLACE!!!)
Go to a Waterpark (Cheating with BC pool)

I have done HDDR the last couple of times I have been there, and LOVE it!!! I might skip it this trip because in 2017 I will be doing it for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I am not sure about Biergarten either because we are planning on taking 2 days at EPCOT to eat at F&W. I love the place and we had a great dinner there for Candlelight Processional dinner package in 2013. I don't want to break everyone's budget with meals as most of the time we are CS type people and sometimes we share meals because they are too big.

Trader Sams is a definite for our trip (maybe a couple of times...LOL).

I have a reservation for BOG for lunch for my day trip in Feb. I am excited for trying it for the first time. I will definitely report back on how lunch was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter