What would you do? Fly or stay at GF?

scanmom, I live in Chandler. My inlaws are over near your neck of the woods though in Morris. We always make it up to Muskogee when we visit to eat at your El Chicos! They've got a white sauce for chips there I've never had anywhere else!

What do you think is the best driving route? I was planning on taking the Indian Nation down to Paris TX then Shreveport, Vicksburg, Hattiesburg and over. Debated I-40 to Atlanta and down though. East bound and down as the song goes!

Drive. It takes us 16 hours to drive and it isn't bad at all.

:smooth:

DRIVE OR DON'T GO!!!!!!!!!!!

That is our moto because were a family of 5 and can't afford to fly. We are a 22-24 hr drive from Canada and it is not all that bad. Get some c/d's for the ride and pack the kids there own goody bag of stuff, play I spy and count the different licence plates you see that are from each state. Bring some pillows and blankets and take cat naps and you'll soon be there. I've only seen pictures of the GF but if I could afford it I would go there in a flash. Have fun and enjoy the scenery on your drive.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I'm in the same predicament (if you can call planning your WDW trip a 'predicament'). After 2 drives to WDW from San Antonio my husband said this time we're flying. I still have 6 months or so that still may be in the cards...but I'm leaning towards driving any way so we can afford a deluxe rather than a moderate. There are trade offs for sure - driving means less time at disney, means we're exhausted when we return home, means we also sleep in a motel on the way over and back from Orlando (we don't drive straight through). But the practical side of me says that paying airfare for 5 of us could be money spent on nicer (and roomier) accomodations which will make us happier while on vacation.

My hunch is that airfare won't be coming down much in the next year - not like we've seen in the past couple of years. I can't seem to find anything that is less than $1300 for all 5 of us...that just seems outrageous - and that's not even flying from SA, that's from a Houston departure. SA is more like $1700!! My husband is open again to driving and I'm relieved - I might even actually commit to a resort knowing I have more $$ to play with. We purchased a great portable DVD player last year from RadioShack with a 10" screen and that occupied the kids for most of the trip. We also had plenty of snacks, drinks, activity books, etc to take on the road.

Having said all that (sorry so long) - When I was a child my parents divorced and there were no family vacations whatsoever except the occasional trips to visit relatives. It thrills me to spend time with my family on a road trip. I think the time on the road with them will be just as much a part of their fond memories of family vacations as the destinations.

I would drive! We usually do and we're about 8.5 - 9 hours away. One main reason we choose to drive is so that we'll have a car while we're there. Also, you mentioned you wouldn't be going back for awhile (hmmm...how can you wait 10 years???) and if that is the case I would definitely blow it out and stay at the Grand.

PamNC

I agree....drive and stay at the GF. Especially if it's your big bash for awhile.

This will probably be my last major deluxe stay as well, as my children are now the age that I have to pay for them to get in the parks, so it cuts into the budget now.

Have fun!!!

I wish i was only a 10 hr drive away from WDW. 10 i could handle, my 20 hrs ---NO! Aren't portable DVD systems great!

Del

We thought we'd save time flying last trip down. (We're in Auburn.) Left Auburn at noon. By the time we drove to Atlanta, waaaiiiiiitttttteeeddd in the Atlanta airport, went through security, waaaiiiiittttteeeeeddddd on the runway for an hour once we were already on the plane, flew to Orlando, got our rental car, got lost on the way from the airport to WDW, and finally arrived, it took us, guess what???? The same EXACT amount of time it would have taken us to drive. (It takes us 8 hours to get there from here. We arrived at our resort at 9:00 p.m.) We will never fly to Orlando again.

Julie

Realistically, estimate the time at the airport, baggage check, check-in, security and boarding and then the flight. How much of a difference is it to drive? I'm guessing we're talking about a 5 hour difference.

Drive and stay at the hotel you enjoy.

Drive...more room for all those souvee's you're going to have!:p Seriously, 10 hours is not bad at all.....it takes us 20...and it's the 20 BACK that really stinks. Everytime we job search and have a nibble that would require relocation...we always see how far of a drive it would be to WDW. We are nutty like that!
Enjoy your trip...sounds heavenly!

PAM

Well, I appear to be in the minority.

But I would fly and stay someplace else. (Of course I am not a fan of the GF)

I'd drive and stay at the GF. That was one of my choices for our trip to Disney this holiday season. We are driving from DFW to Orlando and that's an 16 hour trip and staying at the Boardwalk. Enjoy no matter what you decide

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter