What wireless routers do you all use?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by A Mickeyfan, Oct 29, 2006.

1. A Mickeyfan

A Mickeyfan DIS Veteran

I am trying to find out what wireless router some use. I have Sprint DSL as my internet provider. I just purchased a Netgear DG834Gv2 & have used it for 3 days.. I hate it. I am going to return it. My connection has slowed down so much that the kids do not even want to use the net :rotfl2: ..and that is bad. The computer that it is hardwired to (mine) is slow but keeps the connection. The compter that is the wireless one, the connection drops at least once an hour..if not more. When ever you go on it, you have to "repair" connection to get onto the net. When you do get on, it is unbelieveably slow. I called Sprint DSL (now Embarq) and they did a test on my internet speed...it is up to what it should be. He said that it is either my router/modem or could be Norton's. He did say Norton's will slow things down a bid, but usually not as bad as mine sounds...
    Any suggestions? I went with the modem/router to have less plugs but can always go back to using my Sprint modem & just get a router...

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rie'smom

rie'smom <font color=green>"Always let your conscience be y

I use Belkin and it's great. However,about once a week I think Charter must mess with the routers because they want an extra 60.00/year to provide networking. I have to unplug the router for a few minutes and then replug it. After that everything's fine. We have 3 computers networking and they all work reaaly well.

4. A Mickeyfan

A Mickeyfan DIS Veteran

What you are doing once a week...unplug & replug, that is what I am doing once an hour.. at least! We only have 2 networked together at this point. I would hate to see it with three!
    I haven't heard much about the Belkin ones... usually the ones you see on sale are the Netgear & Linksys. I know the guy that built my computer uses Linksys.. and that was what he reccomended... then another friend was saying Netgear... I went with the Netgear because it was a "deal" on overstock.com... now I see why it was a "deal" The model I got supposingly is around $100... they had it for $45 then an additional 12% off.. with only $1 s&h ................
    I guess that saying is true.. if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is not true! The one I got is a refurb.. and I see why now.. must be a lemon one

5. Toby'sFriend

Toby'sFriend The thing about growing up with Fred and George is

6. rie'smom

rie'smom <font color=green>"Always let your conscience be y

I had a Linksys but got rid of it. IMO,the Belkin is much better.

7. sskem96

sskem96 DIS Veteran

I have a Linksys. We just got our laptop about a month ago, and went to Best Buy to look for a wireless router. The salesman recommended Lynksis, it is the regular one, not the super or anything. We have cable internet and he said the routers that claimed to be faster wouldn't really be any faster for us because it will only go as fast as your connection will allow it to. I installed it myself, and it's been fine, we haven't had to do anything with it at all since.

8. ClarabelleCowFan

ClarabelleCowFan <font color=teal>Found Someone You Have<br><font c

We have a D-Link. Love it! :thumbsup2

9. ameraumi

ameraumi DIS Veteran

We have a Belkin G and have had no problems with it. :thumbsup2

10. grlzmom

grlzmom DIS Veteran

We also replaced Linksys with Belkin and like it ALOT better.

We also have charter and have to go through the unplugging thing about once a week. Other than that, we have great connection on the one main computer, one secondary (kids) computer and two laps (both with builtin wireless)

11. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

I have a Linksys with Adelphia cable. I originally had Netgear and it was terrible, constantly dropping the connection. I had someone from Geek squad (through Best Buy) install it, as well as set up our computers for wireless printing and everything works beautifully with no frustrations on my part getting everything set up.

12. disneycutie84

disneycutie84 <font color=blue>tagless traitor<br><font color=co

I have a Linksys, and pretty frequently the connection drops. Not all day, every day but maybe once a day. Its pretty annoying. I might have to consider a Belkin.

13. drakethib

drakethib DIS Veteran

I use Lynksys and have not had any problems with it.

14. mitushib

mitushib DIS Veteran

Linksys is great. I use it on 3 computers + 1 Tivo and have no problems whatsoever. For those who have problems with Linksys chat with their tech support they usually troubleshoot with u till the problem is solved.

15. Amity 3

Amity 3 DIS Veteran

Airport Extreme.

16. Hedy

Hedy <font color=blue>I'm <s>22</s> 27 and I still kind

I've always had good luck with Linksys.

17. TENIA66

TENIA66 <font color=red>Does the tag fairy post things you

linksys wrt54g

you can't beat linksys's netcheck or aol network magic

18. PatMcDuck

PatMcDuck DIS Veteran

I used 2 different Netgear routers, loads of issues. We had to reset it by unplugging at least once a DAY. Very annoying.

I finally switched brands to Linksys, no more problems. I use wireless for my laptop, sons desktop, and 2 Tivo units.

19. WDWorld2003

WDWorld2003 DIS Veteran

We have Linksys and no problems.

20. Smileybug

Smileybug Some honey for my old tags back

We also have a Linksys. Also use it with 3 Lap Tops. We have had no problems. I think it's great!! Nothing better than sitting in front of the T.V. and Dissing at the same time!! :thumbsup2

21. tinker&belle

tinker&belle DIS Veteran

We used to have a D-Link, but it had to be reset several times a day, and now we have a Linksys and couldn't be happier.