What will pull what?

genealle

Mouseketeer
After visiting WDW hotels since 1972, we're finally think about buying a trailer. What I need is a resource that lists (roughly) what size trailer needs what size tow vehicle. Right now we're thinking 25 to 30 ft travel-trailer, but I'm thinking the 5th wheel might be more comfortable to drive with a big load. ANyone know of a site with such information?

TIA

A good rule to remember is do not exceed 75 percent of your tow vehicles maximum tow. This includes TT, all contents in TT, all contents in vehicle including people. So if your tow vehicle is rated to pull 10,000 lbs, everything can't weigh more than 7,500 lbs. We have found that diesel vehicles give alot more choices in picking a camper to pull.

After visiting WDW hotels since 1972, we're finally think about buying a trailer. What I need is a resource that lists (roughly) what size trailer needs what size tow vehicle. Right now we're thinking 25 to 30 ft travel-trailer, but I'm thinking the 5th wheel might be more comfortable to drive with a big load. ANyone know of a site with such information?

TIA

What Brer Bear gave you is a good start, however make sure you are comparing the actual vehicle since a lot only include a minimal amount of fuel and one 150lb passenger in the TV and are for a base model with the biggest engine and lowest rear gear ratio (4.10 is lower than 3.42 or 3.73). Also, for max tow ratings I think you should take the GVWR of the trailer and compare that against 80% figure that the TV manufacturer rates their TV can tow. You will be able to tow a much larger and heavier TT than a 5er for the same TV because the pin weights for 5ers are much higher than TT. For a 25' 5er you're probably in the 3/4 to 1 ton pickup, whereas a 25 for even a 30' TT might be towable with a properly equipped 1/2 T vehicle.

When you get serious I would advise you join read and then ask questions on a more specific site like one for your particular vehicle or something like RV.NET. RV.NET, Woodalls, TrailerLife, and some others all share a common forum and the individual sites are just portals to the same set of forums.

Larry

A good rule to remember is do not exceed 75 percent of your tow vehicles maximum tow. This includes TT, all contents in TT, all contents in vehicle including people. So if your tow vehicle is rated to pull 10,000 lbs, everything can't weigh more than 7,500 lbs. We have found that diesel vehicles give alot more choices in picking a camper to pull.

I gave an 80% max tow for the GVWR of the TT and here are my stats and I really consider it a joy to tow and I have been all over even thru the Cascades and Rockies and Black Hills out west.

GCWR of TV 20K
Max TT rating for TV - 10K and that is really hitch limited
GVWR of TT 7,500, actual wt. close to 7,700 since I run a higher hitch wt. that is used by the TT manufacturer.
GCW of TV and TT around 16 to almost 17K lbs

So I'm at about 75% for the max tow rating for the TV and around 75% of the GCWR for my TV.

Larry

its not what will pull what, its what is big enough to stop what you are towing.
you dont want to be a towing a 30 ft trailer with a honda civic, because when you hit the brakes the trailers going to keep on coming, shoving you jack knifed sideways into a stopped object.

Just get a F-350 dually with a big diesel. That way you can tow whatever you want to.
Yup. That'll work. That's what I have and I really like it pulling our 11000lb (fully loaded) fifth wheel. I personally prefer the way a fifth wheel handles. The only disadvantage is that you lose a lot of your bed room. But I really like the stability and unless I get a MH I'll keep pulling fifth wheels.

Sounds like you're exactly where we were when we thought about buying a trailer. We started looking at around 25-28 feet, then decided we wanted something with a small slideout, then wanted a bigger slideout, and finally lots of storage and 4 bunks in the back...We looked around at a lot of trailers and floor plans before finding one we really liked. We ended up finding a great floorplan in a 33 ft trailer. And then were lucky enough to find one on RVTRADER.com that was used 3 times in 2 years, and much cheaper than new... After that, we bought the truck that would pull the trailer we wanted. We ended up with a Jayco 31BHS with a Ford F250 (not diesel) and haven't looked back since.

So my advice is to find a trailer you really like then figure out what you will need to pull it. That way you're not limiting yourself by having to find a trailer to fit the tow vehicle that you have.....

http://www.rv.net/ and ask lots of questions. The people there are very, very helpful. When you find a brand that you like, most of them have forums where you can ask specific questions re: that brand.

The RV.Net forum can be very helpful but you have to filter through the B.S. you get from the weight police. Most honestly try and help but have no clue about the dynamics of towing. All they know are what the stickers say on the door and there is FAR more to it than the sticker. There are already a couple of misnomers in this thread. Good Luck!

Get ya a Megacab with a HEMI, then you can pull the F350 with the big diesel AND a TT or fifth wheeler :thumbsup2

Sounds like you're exactly where we were when we thought about buying a trailer. We started looking at around 25-28 feet, then decided we wanted something with a small slideout, then wanted a bigger slideout, and finally lots of storage and 4 bunks in the back...We looked around at a lot of trailers and floor plans before finding one we really liked. ..

That's where we are right now. Small trailer and large car? Larger trailer and medium pickup? BIG trailer and commensurate tow vehicle?

I started out wanting a small (25ft) Class C that would be easy to drive about town. Then I thought, gee, a small Class A would be comfy on the road. Then I started to consider a trailer so we could drop it and drive. Also not having to worry about the drivetrain on the trailer was a plus. Still a year or so away I guess, but I only want to purchase once.

Thanks to all for the links and advice!

(Gotta change our location since we left FL last year)

Not sure there's such a thing as only purchasing once. There's always bigger, newer, better. Once you have the bug, every few years you want to move up so make sure, if you only want to do it once, that you start at the top; otherwise in a few years you will start moving up...it happens - tent, pop-up, trailer, fifth-wheel for us.

Not sure there's such a thing as only purchasing once. There's always bigger, newer, better. Once you have the bug, every few years you want to move up so make sure, if you only want to do it once, that you start at the top; otherwise in a few years you will start moving up...it happens - tent, pop-up, trailer, fifth-wheel for us.

Maybe I should just start with the Prevost I really want.:woohoo: Come on Lotto!

Get ya a Megacab with a HEMI, then you can pull the F350 with the big diesel AND a TT or fifth wheeler :thumbsup2

The guys I know that have hemi's all run away like little girls when I offer to put my pull strap between the trucks and end the Hemi dreams ;)

The guys I know that have hemi's all run away like little girls when I offer to put my pull strap between the trucks and end the Hemi dreams ;)

They just don't want the back half of your truck hitting theirs when that chevy gets ripped in half! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!