What type of hitch do you use?

Elliott

Mouseketeer
Hey folks. We just upgraded to a Jayfeather 29x from our old 21ft Coachman. ::yes:: The trailers are similiar weight (5-6k) but the 29x is about 10ft longer. I used a good weight distribution hitch with the Coachman and was only scared once :eek: (got passed by semi's on both sides, one a little ahead of the other and felt like a pinball). I was definately going to get a sway control bar but I am wondering if anyone uses a Hensley hitch, or something else I might not have heard of. Please weigh in!

We have 2 different hitches. My old one is a Husky round bar with friction antisway. I now have and am setting it up today. Reese straight bar weight distrubution with dual cam antisway. Most people swear by these hitches. So i figured lets go for it. As for the Hensley. I don't know much about them but here is a link to a friend I have over on rv net / trailerlife he has one and swears by them also. http://http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/memberprofile/mid/32342

I've been using a Hensley Arrow going on 5 years now. First with an '04 Jay Feather 25E now with an '06 Wilderness 3102BDS. I've never towed without it so I can't compare it to a conventional hitch. I can say unequivocally that the Hensley does perform as they say it does. In almost 5 years of towing I have never experienced sway of any type. There is a new kid on the block that is going to give the Hensley Arrow a run for its money, the ProPride Hitch. In fact, the ProPride was developed by Jim Hensley, the man behind the Hensley Arrow. There is an interesting story as to how this all came about. The ProPride looks promising and I have considered upgrading in the future. If you can afford the Hensley or the ProPride I think it is a worthwhile investment.

I use an Equalizer Brand hitch. I couldn't be happier with it. I started with a Reece WD hitch with friction sway control, but it's not in the same league as the Equalizer!!

If you head to RV.net forums you will see that both the Hensley (expensive $2000 +) and the Equalizer ($399.00 on ebay) both get rave reviews.

Just a word of warning some companies call their WD hitches equalizer hitches but you would want an Equalizer brand hitch.

I use an Equalizer Brand hitch. I couldn't be happier with it. I started with a Reece WD hitch with friction sway control, but it's not in the same league as the Equalizer!!

If you head to RV.net forums you will see that both the Hensley (expensive $2000 +) and the Equalizer ($399.00 on ebay) both get rave reviews.

Just a word of warning some companies call their WD hitches equalizer hitches but you would want an Equalizer brand hitch.

I agree with the Equalizer Hitch. It is wonderful. And I too saw good things on RV.net about Equalizer. Works well with my Dutchmen 30s DSL.

We started out with the Reese hitch towing a Sunnybrook 3001 with a Chevy 2500 Pickup then to a Ford Excursion. We thought the Excursion would eliminate the sway but it didn't :confused3 so we went with the Hensley. http://www.nosway.com Could not be happier! :banana: We had a chance to test it a couple of times with quick stops and it does what it says, it stays straight! DH drove truck for many years and could not stay the loss of control he had before. :furious: Very safe! :love:

We have a 30' TT. We had a WD setup with a sway bar. I hated it and the whole time my husband drove I was scared to death becuase we swayed so much. We bought the Hensley in March and this last trip I actually fell asleep for a while when he was driving. It is amazing! A lot of money but definitely worth it. I did alot of research on it and got a lot of information from rv.net. Sometime you can find some refurbished ones on e-bay but not sure if they would still have the lifetime warranty.

I've only got a couple thousand miles on my Equal-i-zer hitch and really like it for how easy it is to hook up and un hook. I towed for 25 years using a round bar WD hitch and a single friction sway control. However, this trailer is almost 6' longer and I wanted something a little better that wouldn't interfere with my enclosed front on my current trailer. During the trailer purchase I negotiated the 1200lb/12,000 Equal-i-zer and a single slide topper for $450 so I saved a few bucks.

Larry

I started with the Reese dual cam set up and thought it was great, eventually bought the Hensley Arrow and love it, night and day difference. You can get used ones occasionally if you search around.

I have the Equal-i-zer 14,000 lb model. It works fine and hooks up easy (I have a elec.tongue makes hook up easier). We have only pulled with it once because we just got the trailer. Use to have a 5er.

I have the Pullrite 3300 hitch for my 5'er. It's an 18k I believe. I was having serious problems with the universal capture plate shearing bolts and making the hitch slide into my tailgate. I bought the quick connect type a few weeks ago and love it now. It's nice not having to get out to manually slide the hitch around when backing in and pulling out of tight areas.

I have the Pullrite 3300 hitch for my 5'er. It's an 18k I believe. I was having serious problems with the universal capture plate shearing bolts and making the hitch slide into my tailgate. I bought the quick connect type a few weeks ago and love it now. It's nice not having to get out to manually slide the hitch around when backing in and pulling out of tight areas.

You could have just bought a long bed truck. That would have only been a extra 40 grand.:rotfl:

We use the Equalizer, bought it after reading all the posts on RV.net. My father used to use the older style Reese hitches with the friction bar and did not have any problems that I know of, but I was young and ignorant at the time. (Now I'm just old and ignorant!).

Just spent about an hour last weekend resetting the hitch for the new truck. Could have been done in less time, I probably spent more time with the coffee in my hand reading the instructions and checking measurements just to be sure. Perfectly level now and the front and rear wheel wheels on the truck settle the same amount.

By the way, if you have the dealer do the install, double check their work. Mine was not set up correctly. I suspected so because they were honest and said that they had just started carrying the brand and did the install for free so that they could see how it went. They did not have enough washers behind the rivet (see instructions), and the hitch angle was not set correctly.

I can take very sharp turns while backing into sites with this set-up and have no problems.

Thanks for the help. I want to be as safe as possible but for 1/5 th the price the Equalizer seems the way to go for now!

I ordered a 12000 lb Equal-i-zer hitch today. I found a great price from Adventure Rv, 369 plus 24 for a 2 5/8's ball. 57 dollars Shipping.

My trailer has a 10,000 lb weight limit and I ordered a 12,000 lb hitch. Do you guys think I should have gotten the 14,000 lb hitch?

Thanks
Kevin

I ordered a 12000 lb Equal-i-zer hitch today. I found a great price from Adventure Rv, 369 plus 24 for a 2 5/8's ball. 57 dollars Shipping.

My trailer has a 10,000 lb weight limit and I ordered a 12,000 lb hitch. Do you guys think I should have gotten the 14,000 lb hitch?

Thanks
Kevin

Nope this one sounds big enough to me.

Thanks for the help. I want to be as safe as possible but for 1/5 th the price the Equalizer seems the way to go for now!

I might have missed it but what is your TV. The Equil-i-zer and the Ressee dual cam are great systems as long as you have a TV that has the WD and weight to tow it normally. Once you get beyond some of these standard towing standards the HA or the Pullrite can extend your TV capabilites some.

Larry

LarryJ...sorry about not answering. We were shaking down the new trailer and busy with a few other things so I haven't been keeping up.
I tow with a supercrew f150 5.4L 4x4 which gives me another ton or so above my loaded weight for towing a conventional trailer. I did go with the equalizer and so far so good. The longer trailer does require a bit more attention (I could go anywhere with the old coachman and it would follow like a well trained puppy) and I am looking forward to the 1000 miles to the fort in September to really break her in! :woohoo: Thanks for the help all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter