WHAT TO EXPECT AS A DVC MEMBER AND DCL?

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
We're going on our first Disney Cruise next year. Celebrating milestones so splurging a little and staying concierge. I've been on the boards, especially DCL forum, but get the feeling there's something "handled" differently when booking a cruise via DVC than DCL directly. Doesn't seem to be much chatter from DVC Members in relation to DCL. When our window opens to book excursions, dining, cabana, etc., what can I expect? Do I call DVC or DCL? Or does DVC or DCL call me?

Congratulations on celebrating milestones on DCL!:boat:

I have never sailed concierge, but I think it must be very special. I would call DVC right now and ask them of you do not get an answer here soon.

It is a real pain to book a cruise via DVC. Make sure you have everything ready to go at once. If you want to make any changes they will charge a $95 fee each time. Also be prepared to be on hold. The DVC rep calls DCL on the phone, and you are on hold whey they talk to DCL. Our March 2016 cruise we have booked, we used points for my wife and I, and paid cash for our two kids. We were expecting to be able to make payments like with DCL, but no, they wanted payment in full at the time of booking. That was a shock to us. Fortunately we had a cast member that booked my wife and I, and made comments in the notes that we would be calling back in two weeks to pay cash for our kids, and to waive the $95 fee. Two weeks later when we called back to add our kids on, the cast member gave me a hard time at first until she read the notes and waived the fee.

When our window opens to book excursions, dining, cabana, etc., what can I expect? Do I call DVC or DCL? Or does DVC or DCL call me?
The booking of on-board activities is handled by DCL and most of those are booked using the DisneyCruise.com website. When booked into a Concierge Level Stateroom, you have the option of letting the shoreside concierge team book your activities. You can contact shoreside concierge at 125 days prior to your sail date and let them know what you want for excursions (includes cabanas on castaway cay), adult dining, etc.

For us it just doesn't seem a good use of our pts...and the fact that you have to do everything through DVC is annoying . We have cruised 4 times with DCL and not once have we used our pets. We even sailed on a DVC member cruise

We're going on our first Disney Cruise next year. Celebrating milestones so splurging a little and staying concierge. I've been on the boards, especially DCL forum, but get the feeling there's something "handled" differently when booking a cruise via DVC than DCL directly. Doesn't seem to be much chatter from DVC Members in relation to DCL. When our window opens to book excursions, dining, cabana, etc., what can I expect? Do I call DVC or DCL? Or does DVC or DCL call me?

Booking DCL on points will cost more than renting out your points and paying cash. There isn't always inventory available in all categories when booking through DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

We're already booked. Also used points and cash and knew the cash was to be paid in full. I didn't have any problems booking or with CM and didn't feel that any categories were not available because I asked about basic staterooms to concierge and got info regarding how many points and cash for each. I thought that since we booked thru DVC, all ressies are made thru them but if they're just going to go thru DCL, I might as well call them directly?

I thought that since we booked thru DVC, all ressies are made thru them but if they're just going to go thru DCL, I might as well call them directly?
DVC is basically your TA. Any changes that affect the actual cruise reservation must be made by DVC.
On-board activities are booked directly with DCL regardless of how you booked.

On the cruise itself you will be invited to DVC events, which are promotional in nature, but they usually have free drinks!

We also had a magnate on our door indicating that we were DVC. Otherwise, you are just like any other guest! You will have a much higher level of service than Other guests, but that is due to concierge-not DVC.

We have taken 11 DCL cruises as DVC members. We have never used points since as others have pointed out, that's an expensive way to cruise. There is a DVC magnet on our stateroom door. We are also invited to a DVC mixer (we don't go....it's a sales pitch). There is a DVC sales desk that will hand out a different gift to DVC cruisers each day. I usually wait to see what the gift is before heading over there.

If you are booked Concierge, you will have many perks. But being a DVC member won't get you much.

We're already booked. Also used points and cash and knew the cash was to be paid in full. I didn't have any problems booking or with CM and didn't feel that any categories were not available because I asked about basic staterooms to concierge and got info regarding how many points and cash for each. I thought that since we booked thru DVC, all ressies are made thru them but if they're just going to go thru DCL, I might as well call them directly?

You booked concierge with points? I did not think you could do this.

You will receive a confirmation in the mail and it will give you dates when you can book your excursions, dining, cabana, spa, etc. If you have concierge, they will help you book these.

Congrats on your cruise. DVC won't have anything to do with how you access your concierge perks. If you want a cabana, you need to act early and call the land-side concierge staff EARLY EARLY EARLY--as in well before the reservation date--and have that annotated. They get first dibs. Be realistic, though, there are more concierge customers than cabanas, so you still might not get one. DVC gives out some nice swag on board. Nothing crazy expensive, but nice just the same. Concierge is neat, especially on the big ships. Savor it!!!!!

Yes, we booked concierge with points and cash.
Where do I get phone number for land-side concierge? Call DCL directly?
Thanks everyone for the info. It's been so helpful. Keep it coming!

We have taken 3 DCL cruises with our points and 1 without. I don't think I will ever use my points again for a DCL cruise. The value of paying is much better than using the points. They give DVC members magnets for your doors and some little other gift type items like hats and mugs. The DVC meetings are semi-entertaining on the cruise but they are mainly trying to sell you more points. DCL cruises are awesome and I am sure you will have a great time. Enjoy

As others have written, you are recognized as a DVC member by a magnet on your door, some decent gifts, and access to a DVC mixer to update you on the timeshare and sell you more points. IMO, this is a missed opportunity :sad2: by Disney to celebrate loyalty in the community. They should have an event that pulls together DVC, ABD, D23, and high level participants on DCL and WDW/DL to celebrate Disney and build brand loyalty. It is all there in their databases, and could be so much fun (in my opinion). :sunny:

We have taken 8 DCLs and used points for all except one. We even booked multiple rooms twice for family members. I am in the minority here on these boards, we find it a very good use of our points.
As PP mentioned:
You can book your excursions through the DCL website yourself.
You will be invited to the DVC gatherings.
You should get DVC SWAG gifts in your room and at the gatherings.
If you get to your room and a DVC Member magnet is not attached to your door, go to the DVC desk, inform them of your being a DVC member, and they will get you on their list.

Yes, we booked concierge with points and cash.
Where do I get phone number for land-side concierge? Call DCL directly?
Thanks everyone for the info. It's been so helpful. Keep it coming!
I wish I'd kept that number but I didn't. You can call DCL or ask over on the Disney Cruise page here. Someone there passed it to me. Good luck. Enjoy your cruise. DCL is awesome!!

You can't book a cruise concierge through DVC, non concierge only

Although the points required for Concierge cabins are not listed on the point charts, all you have to do is call DVC Member Services and they will quote the points required for a Concierge cabin on any particular cruise. Naturally, the point requirements are higher, but I was pleasantly surprised that they were not charging what I would consider extreme points for these rooms, at least for the dates that I was considering.

People have all kinds of opinions about whether it is a Gould use of points or not for a cruise. We have taken several cruises with and without points. You simply need to do the math. For instance, we are taking a 5 night west coast cruise and when I did the math, each point was worth about $23 at the time I booked it. While this may be an exception to the norm, I know I would not have been able to rent my points out for that cost, so it was worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!