1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

What to do?!?!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by princessap, Apr 23, 2013.

1. shalom

shalom DIS Veteran

This may be your problem. Some timeshare people just plain don't like DVC -- they think the 2 BRs are too small and you're too far from your car and that DVC just isn't up to the quality of (for instance) HGVC, which is one of the ones by Seaworld. I think in terms of 1 BRs DVC does better, but I don't follow that as closely.

If your MIL hangs out on timeshare boards and has heard some of the outraged TS rants I have on DVC and how it's overpriced and nasty (I sometimes suspect RCI trades may have higher odds of getting tired units), maybe that's influencing her.

On second thought, it's also a challenge to get BLT through RCI right now, so maybe that's at the root of it. Most people who put in an on-going search and have some flexibility get it, but if she doesn't like committing to an on-going search her odds are not good.

There are lots of RCI possibilities that are easier to get and much, much closer than Seaworld, so maybe she's sticking to what she knows (although if it's HGVC, there's one a lot closer than SeaWorld).

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. disnut8

disnut8 DIS Veteran

Not sure the map would work as it's difficult to know the distances from that.

You can tell her the story about my daughter-in-law on her first trip. We entered Disney property from Highway 192 and went up World Drive (since I thought that would be more dramatic). We were staying at Fort Wilderness Cabins so we drove and drove and drove. She couldn't believe we were on Disney property the entire time. Then we went from the Cabins to Animal Kingdom Lodge and she STILL couldn't believe we were still on property. After ten minutes of driving.

4. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

Here is what you tell the MIL, if she stays onsite and wants to golf.
    -She will get a discount at the disney courses
    -Complimentary private transportation to all five courses for WDW Resort Guests
    -Priority on tee times on Disney golf courses

The courses and some basic stats about them are:

Palm - Designed by Joe Lee, par for this course is 72. It has been rated a 4-star course by Golf Digest magazine. Its number one "villain" is WATER.

Magnolia - Also designed by Joe Lee, this is also par 72 and has been rated a 4-star course by Golf Digest. Its number one "villain" is SAND, with 14 bunkers on Hole 4 alone.

Lake Buena Vista - Also designed by Joe Lee, this is also par 72 and has been rated a 4-star course by Golf Digest. Its number one "villain" is NARROW FAIRWAYS.

Osprey Ridge - Designed by Tom Fazio, this par 72 course is rated 4.5 stars by Golf Digest. Its number one "villain" is LARGE ROLLING GREENS.

Oak Trail - Designed by Ron Garl, par 36, villain-free for juniors and beginners.

5. brertoad

brertoad DIS Veteran

Just my 2 cents.
    Staying on-site is awesome, I wouldn't ever want to stay at an off-site hotel ever again. I think a lot of people are just not aware of what they are missing. Sure, it's not for everyone, but some people just don't want to give it a try. Yes, it's pricey, and there are ways to mitigate those costs, you can compromise on room view, or resort level. But staying on the monorail rail gives you a level of vacationing that can not be surpassed in any other way. The convenience is a luxury and a one of a kind experience, and that costs money. You are willing to pay it, she isn't. She's not paying for your vacation and as you said, you can't take it with you.

I'm not sure if you can convince her, maybe seeing her grand-babies at WDW may spark something, but who knows. We bought a DVC resale because we were spending a lot on hotel rooms and knew that we were going to keep spending a lot, so it made sense for us. You just can't beat the deluxe rooms for value level pricing.

It's a complete shame that they have RCI points that she refuses to use. I thought the Bonnet Creek resort was on RCI? And WDW has nice golf courses, not that we golf, but people come from all over the world to go to WDW, they have just about anything you want all on site.

I'd just do what is best for you and your DH and kids. Let FIL and MIL book their own accomodations, and they can meet up with you at WDW.
    Staying off-site is terrible in my experience, I don't feel as safe, it's a pain to drive and park, I feel disconnected from my vacation, I feel like I'm not out of the real world. I want to be completely in the Disney bubble, that's part of the magic to me and it's worth the money to us.

6. princessap

princessap DIS Veteran

Thanks. I think we are just going to do onsite and let them do what they want. I don't want to rent a car which we need a van so it saves us about 5-600 dollars by not renting a van either. So I factor that in. When I calculate costs it is more expensive to be onsite but not what people think it is is, it is about the same when you factor in all factors and who can put a price on monorail!

7. princessap

princessap DIS Veteran

Thanks for the reply. I could understand her if she did any sort of research at all. She Doesn't and simply said she wants to save her points for something else. Didn't look at anything at all. I think she thinks disney is close to sea world and her mind is made up. She is cranky lately so haven't brought it up again.

8. princessap

princessap DIS Veteran

I just wanted to come back to this thread and thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions....I have great news!!!!!

So lots of things have happened over the last few weeks to friends of my inlaws, a friend of mine whose dad was just diagnosed with cancer....this has given all of us a lot to think about....

I had a disney conversation with my mother in law the other day and she has a very different attitude about life now...a friend of hers was diagnosed with lung cancer and died a month later. My MIL wants to experience life now and not put things off because you never know what can happen. I feel this way too!!!

sooooooooo.....she said book wherever you want! I trust you as the disney fanatic and we want to experience it all with our granddaughters!!!

so right now it is looking like a split stay between standard view at POLY and then TPV at Contemporary!! or if no discounts for those then garden wing at CR for the week or split it with poly!!! either way it will be great!!!

9. BringingUpDisney

BringingUpDisney DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

10. Princess Disney Mom

Princess Disney Mom DIS Veteran

Stay where you want and let her stay where she wants.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

11. MinnesotaMouseketeers

MinnesotaMouseketeers DIS Veteran

Other reasons we love on-site:

Theming
    Landscaping
    Transportation
    Purchases sent to your resort
    Free parking if you are driving
    NO ISSUES WITH DRIVING TO THE PARKS: road construction, rush hour, or long drives from the hotel you are staying at.
    Disney transportation: we love it; including Magical Express because we don't rent a car either.

But we really do love the option of going back to the resort for a rest in the middle of the day. Eat lunch at the resort, put on the swim suit and enjoy the pool, explore the resort, or just hang out in your room.

12. brertoad

brertoad DIS Veteran

That is great news! Congrats!

I agree about not renting a car as well if you are staying on property exclusively, you are right about it saving lots of money, people don't think about that. Also the Disney Magical Express bus ride from the airport both ways must at least save $100 or more. Shuttle services and limos are expensive.

Hope you all have the best vacation ever!

13. Southern Bell

Southern Bell DIS Veteran

My husband and I went with our daughter and her family two yrs ago and had the dining plan. We discussed our ideas of what we wanted to do and where we wanted to eat before vacation. We did several character meals with my grandson. My husband and I took one night to eat by ourselves and my daughter and her husband took one night to eat by themselves. My husband and son in law wanted to go fishing one morning. I thought at Disney LOL! But... thats what they wanted to do so they had a boat reserved for them one morning! My point is that discussing & planning ahead of what everyone wanted to do & making reservations for dinner everyday before we arrived at Disney really helped! I think everyone had a good vacation, got to do something they wanted, without all the stress of deciding once we arrived. In our family (even when my sister and her family go)We don't have a problem with someone telling us what to do. We have a problem with "What do you want to do? I don't know what do you want to do? I don't care whatever you want to do?" LOL!