1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

What to do on the ship first

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by emeraldluvsbama, Feb 5, 2013.

1. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

Ah, the kids clubs.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. superrach

superrach Mouseketeer

If you didn't get Palo brunch ressies online then one person go straight there right when you get on the ship. They usually hold some for onboard bookings. Then one person go book tastings because that can only be done onboard. Meet up at Cabanas and let the buffet begin!!:yay:

4. Rudolph4

Rudolph4 Earning My Ears

Where can you find out about tastings and where do you book them? My understanding is they are not online ahead of time - is it all at guest services? Is it a madhouse that first afternoon?

5. lizzyb

lizzyb DIS Veteran

Depending on the time we board the plan is: lunch, book Palo,check room and swim :)

6. tinkerbell 766

tinkerbell 766 <font color=purple>If I can't fly, let me sing. Or

I was going to ask the same thing!!!! Please tell me all about the tastings!!!:yay:

7. 2BusyPlanning

2BusyPlanning DIS Veteran

Another person from Memphis! :wave2:
    So, you go directly to Palo to make a reservation? I thought I read somewhere that you go to one of the clubs. Makes more sense to go to Palo though.

8. mommy2allyandaveri

mommy2allyandaveri <font color=0066CC>Disney or otherwise. Sucks<br><

Wait in the long line at guest services (since you walk right by there) to book tastings. They book up very quickly!!!

Then grab some lunch and let the kids hit the pool. This is what we did on our first cruise on the Wonder, the kids were 8 and 5. Worked out really well!

Quick question... Our next cruise is on the Fantasy, I know we want lunch from Cabanas. Can we take our lunch out to the pool area?

9. emeraldluvsbama

emeraldluvsbama Earning My Ears

I just got Palo brunch ressies online. Woo hoo!

10. wink13

wink13 Just a bit Goofy

We eat a later breakfast at the hotel so we can skip lunch and go straight to the pool. The boys have been first in the pool for 3 cruises and have it all to themselves for about a 1/2 hour. Then they go on the auqaduck as soon as it opens. As the pool gets crowded they are done at the pool and ready for lunch at one of the quick service areas around the pool. Then it's off to the stateroom when they are ready.

They love the pool time and pictures of being the only people in the pool or in to pool area.

I'll mostly sit back and relax in the sun! :cool1:

11. QuiltTeddy

QuiltTeddy DIS Veteran

We usually do lunch and then take some photos of the ship areas while there are not as many people and a lot of the places are still empty.

Then we sit by the pool and relax.

12. SamandWill1921

SamandWill1921 Mouseketeer

Here's what DH and I did (no kids):
    We didn't do any tastings when we went on our first cruise in September but everyone is right, the time from getting on board to the muster drill goes quick. We had a #6 boarding number so we were on by noon. We ate lunch, went and switched our Palo reservation to a different night, (when I booked online it was all that was left and it wasn't the night I wanted, Andrew on the Wonder switched it for us with no problems.) Then we did the spa open house and entered the raffle. By that time it was time for our DIS meet-up. After the muster drill we made a run for deck 10 for the sail away party.

Looking back I know I had to take care of business but I wish I would have parked myself by quiet cove with a pina colada and just chilled out. Since it was our first cruise we wanted to experience a lot of what Disney had to offer us and it took us about 3 days to realize we would wear ourselves out on going to one event after another and that we just had to choose 2-3 things a day that appealed to us.

13. aesalsa

aesalsa <font color=deeppink>I'm the one with the hunka hu

These are great tips! We embark this Sunday, the 10th, on our first cruise ever on the DREAM. We are going with another family, and our daughters are 6 and 7.

What are the "tastings"? This is the first time that I've heard about this.

Feeling overwhelmed and excited!

:wave2:

14. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

They offer tasting sessions for : Wine, Beer, Champagne, Tequila/Margarita, Cognac, Chocolate... I'm sure I'm forgetting some. $15-30 per person, bookable at Guest Services once you get onboard.

15. aesalsa

aesalsa <font color=deeppink>I'm the one with the hunka hu

Thanks you! I am guessing that the children can go to the Oceaneer's Club/Lab while the parents enjoy this?

:wave2:

16. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

Indeed! (If FULLY potty-independent.)

17. Melissa&Shawn

Melissa&Shawn Mouseketeer

Chocolate tastings??????!!!!

18. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

Not sure if they do them on the regular cruises, but there was one on the EBPC and I'm hoping they do it again on the WBPC!

19. dee slack

dee slack DIS Veteran

not sure if your cruise has a 'Tea with......' but if it does, you need to go to GS to get a reservation.
    If you are taking a photo mat or pillowcase to sign, take that to GS as soon as poss.
    Again, not sure if all cruises offer this, but a tour around the ship is usually on the first afternoon.

20. bitlerzx4

bitlerzx4 DIS Veteran

We go eat, then pool, have a celebratory drink and relax! pirate:

21. manhattanman

manhattanman Mouseketeer

Definitely pack swimsuits into a carry on, change in your room then head to the pools. This is where I differ with conventional wisdom, I say pass on the aqua duck, for now. We tried to ride it the first day ( early boarding around 130, at the duck around 2) and the wait was long, about 20 minutes. We had an excursion in the afternoon in Nassau, so we had the whole morning and could ride the duck at will, literally one to two minute waits and its generally warmer there anywhere. I think we rode it 5 times in 20 minutes.

It seemed that the lineup for the duck was never longer than when we first boarded.