What to do in the morning before boarding?

Jet

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a last-minute August cruise and could only get a flight arriving at MCO at 8 a.m. the morning of the cruise. We will most likely rent a car, but I'm wondering what on earth we can do for several hours before we can actually go to the port...particularly since we'll be exhausted due to the very early morning flight. Any good ideas out there?

Actually, I don't think you'll have that much time to waste. If you get to MCO at 8, it will take a little bit of time to collect the bags and rent the car. I would expect you would want to grab some breakfast, either at the airport or on the road. By the time you leave the airport area, and hit the road to the port, it will be at least 9:45-10:15. The drive to the port is in between 30-35 minutes. It is my understanding the port area opens at 10:30--I've never been there that early. One stop for soda on the way, and you've used up your time. Then you get to board early and enjoy the facilities.

If you don't want to wait to board, I'd get the car and hit the outlets either at Belz or Premium--you'll do some back-tracking.

I agree, you'll be there at a good time. You'll get on earlier and be able to enjoy the ship first thing. Head up to deck 9 and grab any photos of the Mickey pool before any kiddos get in it, and back to Topsiders Buffet and eat. Then change and swim before everyone else gets up there!! :) Enjoy your cruise!

I have to ditto on this one. You arrive at 8:00 am by the time you get your bags and the rental car it will take at least an hour. You are looking at 9:00 am by the time you can start. I would say more like 9:15-9:30. The drive to the port is an hour. You have to park and unload. It will be 10:30 or later by the time you are in the terminal. This is only if you do not have problems with your flight. Oh and do not forget about breakfast.

I would go straight to the port and check-in. You can go on in the ship around 11:30-12:00 (normally) and enjoy the ship. This is one of the least crowded times to go to the pool. You can unpack and be ready for the mandatory drill. You will not beleive how quickly the time will fly by. Before you know it you will be at the sail away party and leaving PC.

If you do end up at PC before 10:30 and the terminal is closed, you can always take a nice walk on the beach. Or go and have breakfast there. Grill's is suppose to have a nice breakfast.

I agree with the others. Head over to the port after you have your car and luggage. Check in lines will be small and you can be one of the first families onboard. Nothing wrong with starting your vacation early!

In January my DW and I arrived at the port ay 10:10am and the terminal was already open, we got off the Budget shuttle van and walked right in to the terminal, got checked in, and boarded the ship at 11:45am.

I agree - head right to the port. You really don't have a lot of extra time.

Just a warning - there are very few services available along the way (and it seems more like 45 minutes to actually get there). So - either have breakfast before leaving the airport - or better yet- head to Grill's (see www.dcltribute.com) and eat breakfast on the patio/deck while admiring your ship. Then head right over and check in and board!

Verandah Man said:
In January my DW and I arrived at the port ay 10:10am and the terminal was already open, we got off the Budget shuttle van and walked right in to the terminal, got checked in, and boarded the ship at 11:45am.

Our shuttle from the Rad is at 10:00 am in September. I was wondering if they might already be open. I had no idea they did not open until later until reading it on here. This could be great news.

My warning about Grills is that the breakfast is wonderful, the portions humungus, the prices very affordable, and you run the risk of being too stuffed to fully enjoy the welcome aboard buffet. We did Grills breakfast before the Wonder in January, it was great, but too much. If you were waking up at the port area, hitting grills at like 7 am or 8 the latest, maybe. If you are landing at 8, then agree w/ the others--head to the ship, just have something light, even a grab n go muffin in MCO, to keep you from getting rumbly in the tumbly before the brunch on board.

logan1_2000 said:
My warning about Grills is that the breakfast is wonderful, the portions humungus, the prices very affordable, and you run the risk of being too stuffed to fully enjoy the welcome aboard buffet. We did Grills breakfast before the Wonder in January, it was great, but too much. If you were waking up at the port area, hitting grills at like 7 am or 8 the latest, maybe. If you are landing at 8, then agree w/ the others--head to the ship, just have something light, even a grab n go muffin in MCO, to keep you from getting rumbly in the tumbly before the brunch on board.

Can you share the portions at Grill's then? We chare alot of our entrees at dinner and if the breakfast is this huge it might be good to share.

I'll echo...you won't need to find anything to do..If you actually arrive at MCO at 8, it will take a while to claim your luggage, get rental car, etc. Say you'll be on the road by 9. It is 45 minutes to the port.

Officially, the port area open to incoming traffic at 10, the terminal opens at 10:30. Of course, all of that is subject to the previous cruise being cleared by Customs on time and everyone getting off. So....if you arrive at 10, you can check in your luggage, park car (or return to rental place), and go check in for cruise. Boarding will start about 11:30-11:45.

You can stop somewhere for breakfast or collect some munchies for the terminal.

Car rentals can be obtained at the airport and turned in near the port at no extra charge. Parking is $70 per day. You might want to look into the price of a private limo service. It's easier than renting and returning a car, and you don't have to deal with parking (or cost thereof!)

Wow, thanks for all of the great info. Sounds like the timing will work out perfectly!

I'd just take the Disney bus from the airport. Why bother with renting a car, driving a car, turning in a car, when your vacation can start the minute you set foot in Orlando. Have a snack or a bloody mary at the airport or both, and catch the 10 am bus.

Sorry for the confusion....obviously I was thinking about spending $70 to park on my last cruise and typed it in wrong. It is $10 per day.

i agree with tvguy...unless you have alot of people in your party take a bus or towncar to the port instead of worrying about renting and returning a car at port...also...if $$$ is an issue, pack some snacks in your carryon to eat when you get to MCO...don't eat too much and save room for the buffet on board!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter