What time will we be off the ship? Will we have time to go to WDW?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by southlake, Mar 13, 2013.

1. southlake

southlake Mouseketeer

First time cruising DCL!

Wondering what the time range is for people getting off the ship. Is everyone off by 9 am?

Our flight home doesn't leave MCO until 6 pm. Assuming we will get to the airport at 4 pm, I'm trying to figure out what to do with our day from 9-4pm.

I know we could rent a dayroom at the Hyatt and hang out there but we are never in FL and I can't imagine being that close to WDW and not going? However I'm sure after drive time we will Not have enough time to enter the parks. I'm thinking just Downtown Disney and having lunch there.

Any recommendations on where to go? And will we have time to go have lunch somewhere in Downtown Disney?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pharmjenn

pharmjenn Mouseketeer

I can't imagine with a 6pm flight you would want to spend the money for a single day ticket to WDW. You probably wouldn't get to the parks until around 10am if you are driving yourself. You would definitely have time for lunch at DTD.

4. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

We took our time leaving the ship, but at 9am they are *serious* about everyone leaving. Even going through customs, getting on the DCL bus, waiting for everyone else to get on, and driving, we were at the airport (we weren't leaving but were picking up a rental car there) well before our car pickup time of 11. I would say we were there at 10:30.

5. californiamomofboys

californiamomofboys Mouseketeer

You could go to one of the waterparks. They open at 10AM and close at 5PM (depending on time of year). Not as expensive as the regular theme parks. If the weather is bad or you are all water'd out, I'd head to Downtown Disney or the Boardwalk area. Once we killed a few hours driving down International Blvd. My kids loved the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, the Wonderworks, and there is a really cool Titanic exhibit....

6. momto3gr8boys

momto3gr8boys DIS Veteran

We have an 8pm flight out of MCO and our plan is to rent a car at the port and go to DTD. I figure we will have to leave around 5-5:30 to head back to the airport. So if you got there by 11 at the latest and left by 3, I think it's worth it. You have to pay for some kind of transportation anyway, so the rental car isn't really an added expense. DTD is free, and you would have paid for lunch no matter where you were.

I think we will shop a bit and take the boat to POFQ and have lunch there (for nostalgia more than the food) and maybe bowl if we have time. Or rent surrey bikes at POR. lots of options for a few hours without a park admission.

7. jdent26

jdent26 Earning My Ears

Another option - non Disney - is to go to nearby Cape Canaveral and see the site of so many Moon launches.

8. stmize

stmize Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 1

You could also just go to the beach area. Google some excursions for port cane rival

9. lizzyb

lizzyb DIS Veteran

I agree!

10. kalc12345

kalc12345 DIS Veteran

On one of our previous cruises we went to WDW for a couple of days after the cruise. We were off the ship and at The Magic Kingdom by 9am.

The cruise we just took (we didn't do WDW this time) we were off the ship at 7:30am. As soon as they made the all clear announcement we left.

I don't think I would buy a 1 day ticket for just part of a day. I would do Downtown Disney instead.

11. cwdefouw

cwdefouw DVC Member since 1999

If you are not familiar with MCO, just be aware that security can be a very long wait. At our home town airport we usually arrive about an hour before the flight, but in Orlando, I always make sure I am arriving at least two hours before the flight, just because of the potential security lines. That being said, I just do not see that there would be much value in trying to do a theme park and trying to make it back to MCO for a 6:00 PM flight. As previously mentioned DTD would be a good option or perhaps one of the outlet malls.

12. DMMarla07860

DMMarla07860 DIS Veteran

I suggest Downtown Disney or check out some of the outlet malls, good way to pass time, we did that a few times on days we left WDW and didn't want to go to parks

13. southlake

southlake Mouseketeer

In my OP, I said we would not have time to go to the parks and was asking about just going to DTD.

14. southlake

southlake Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing the times you were off! My original post never mentioned buying a 1 day ticket to the park, just wanted to know if we'd have time for lunch at DTD.

15. 4butlers

4butlers DIS Veteran

You should have plenty of time to go to DTD and have lunch. After our cruise, our flight was around 4:00 and we still had time for lunch and to walk around and shop for a bit. We left shortly before 2:00. We had lunch at TRex and walked right in.