What should I expect on Tracey Arm da

criscoloo

Mouseketeer
Boarding the Wonder on Monday for Alaska cruise. What is offered on Tracey Arm day aboard the ship?

I recall reading about a BBQ somewhere on deck, hot chocolate and needing to get up super early to watch the scenery and get a good viewing spot somewhere.

any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

There is a BBQ at Beach Blanket Buffet then they have the hot chocolate and soup in bread bowls on the forward of deck 10.
We headed up to deck 10 but it wasn't super early, there were plenty of people but we still had a decent spot. It started to rain and we went back to our cabin and just stayed on our balcony the rest of the day, we enjoyed that much more than the upper decks, when we got close to the fjords the temp was around 40 degrees, so it was nice to be able to step back inside the room if we wanted. The captain will turn the ship completely around so both sides get a fantastic view. He was able to get super close for our cruise. We sailed the final Alaska cruise in 2013.

Have a wonderful time.
Alaska was the best cruise as far as views we have ever taken, its just amazing how there is land all around you the entire cruise.

We went on our cruise in June. It was a bit cool and windy that day, so I remember a tip from a previous trip report. Sit between the railing and a towel or storage cabinet because it will help block the wind. So that is what we did. I found some chairs and moved them into place, and then found some lounge chairs and put them on each side. We were a group of 10, so lots of seating was necessary. We probably had six seats total in the area since we were moving around and not all together at the same time. Some went and got BBQ, others soup and pretzels, drinks, etc., then they would come back to our area. We spent all afternoon there.

We went on our cruise in June. It was a bit cool and windy that day, so I remember a tip from a previous trip report. Sit between the railing and a towel or storage cabinet because it will help block the wind. So that is what we did. I found some chairs and moved them into place, and then found some lounge chairs and put them on each side. We were a group of 10, so lots of seating was necessary. We probably had six seats total in the area since we were moving around and not all together at the same time. Some went and got BBQ, others soup and pretzels, drinks, etc., then they would come back to our area. We spent all afternoon there.

Do you remember what time you first secured your area?

Do you remember what time you first secured your area?
I want to say 11ish. I just checked my pictures, and it was closer to 10:15. Don't know how to post a picture, so just ignore that picture thing.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-29_11-25-15.png
    upload_2015-8-29_11-25-15.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
From what I remember... and things can be different for your cruise...
  • Yep BBQ at the BACK of the beach blanket buffet OUTSIDE. Lots of people had problems finding the BBQ and missed the salmon. Start getting in line at the Beach Blanket entrance. Once you have your food, exit outside to join a second line for the salmon.
  • Hot chocolate is served at the bow of the ship. If it gets wet, Deck 4 is a quiet hideaway and you might characters down there for pictures.
  • Some want go to Palo for lunch to enjoy the Tracy Arm views, but you won't enjoy Sawyer until 2 or 3pm when Palo closes.
  • My August trip went all the way to see Sawyer... but I read some May trips are limited with ice congestion.
Tracy Arm is 31 miles one way. While Sawyer is the highlight, Tracy Arm is promoted for the vista's.

My suggestion is not stay at one spot because there are beautiful sceneries on both sides. Weather is hit or miss, on our 8/3-8/10/15 cruise, I was wearing a t-shirt only. I have posted some photos here if you want to take a look.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/so...uise-more-photos-in-page-2-3-4-and-5.3438894/
We were on Deck 10 and the same side as our veranda going into Tracy Arm. So when we were heading out of Tracy Arm, we hung out on our veranda and saw the side we didn't see originally.

Boarding the Wonder on Monday for Alaska cruise. What is offered on Tracey Arm day aboard the ship?

I recall reading about a BBQ somewhere on deck, hot chocolate and needing to get up super early to watch the scenery and get a good viewing spot somewhere.

Just got back 3 days ago. Tracy Arms was amazing. Not really really cold. If you are going to be on deck a while ears and hands will get cold so gloves and hat are good but we just had long sleeves and fleece jackets on. The Bar-B-Que is really just grilled meats at Beach Blanket. They have the regular buffet and then a buffet set up in the out door seating area with grilled meats. We were hoping for bar-b-que with sauce and buns.. not the same. They have hot chocolate and soup and bread bowls forward. Also at the quick food place mid ship where they have pizza... they had hot pretzels and hot spiced wine that day too.

We had a veranda room. We went up for food...and when they brought the ice on board. We took some pictures and found the mountain goats on the mountain side and then went back to our room. Before reaching the glacier we did a wine tasting and I went to a rain forest room for a bit before and after going by the glacier. Nice place to warm up.

1. We went in July. It was COLD! Make sure that you have warm things in case it is that way for you.
2. Moving about is a good idea. I was in the camp of "Go early, pick a spot and stay there" until I actually went. Beauty is all around you and you can see it from so many angles.
3. The top decks are packed but Deck 4 is pretty empty. It's nice to see things from the different vantage points.
4. Going to the Sawyer Glacier is pretty exciting. And watching it is also pretty cool. However the best place to see is also the most packed. It was futile to try because it was just a sea of heads. We hung back in the coffee shop and waited. It seems that once the ship starts to turn about, nearly EVERYONE figures "SHOWS OVER" and walks away. We were able to walk right up to the bow of the ship take a long look and get some awesome pics. No crowding.

we were on the 8/10 sailing. We hung out on Deck 4 - it was pretty wet, misty, cold, and overcast for our day - but when we got to the glacier, the sun came out for a few moments. We are from Texas, but I was wearing every layer we brought, and if we were sitting, a blanket on top. :)

It was still stunningly beautiful. I don't care for salmon. Hot chocolate was available the entire cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter