What should I buy for breakfasts?

WisconsinDisneyGirl

DIS Veteran
We are staying at AKL for 3 days. It kind of hurt my budget but I could not pass up $109 a night with!!! Anyhow, we will be getting the free fridge they now offer with delux hotels ( you have to ask for one when you make reservations). What kind of things can I get for breakfast and lunches. We will be driving from the Disney Cruise terminal to AKL so we plan to make a stop along the way. We will also be bringing a cooler to the parks. Any good budget, yet kind of healthy, ideas for lunch and breakfast? Thanks for the ideas.

I just came back and there are definately things we could have used there if the trip hadn't been so last minute and I could have thought about it more.

Granola Bars for one.
Packets of Oatmeal (the kind where you just add water)
You can always do cereal because you have the fridge for milk.

For lunch you could get lunch meat and a little jar of mayo and bread.

Will you have a microwave? If yes, that opens up new possabilities. We did campbell's soup that you can heat in the microwave. Chef Boy-Ar-Dee microwavables. We also did egg beaters in the micro for breakfast.

Just some suggestions.

No, we don't have a microwave. That would be great. Too bad the Disney hotels don't have them. I guess they want you to buy DIsney food!

Have you tried Quaker Breakfast Squares? They are good, really filling and you could even use them as a snack for the parks because they won't get too crushed. Don't forget the fresh fruit.

You can bring your cooler into the parks? I didnt think so...
Anyway, If I wanted to bring something for breakfast, Id do things I could literally eat on the move like cereal bars, pop tarts, and juice boxes and water.

If I needed to eat at night after the parks, Id do strictly sandwiches, salads like cole slaw and potato, macaroni, and fruit. MAybe some brownies or a sara lee cake for deserts.

All Ive ever brung is an ice chest with water, cokes, and beer just for the room.

We had a frige in our Deluxe Savannah room, but we really only kept water and soda in there. If you really want to eat on the run try granola bars, pop-tarts, cereal and milk bars, etc. If you are talking about a full size cooler you can only take that into the water parks. If you have a stroller and a mini-cool pack you will be alright--a few juice boxes.
Get fruit and baby carrots. I also like the salad packs that have lettuce mixture, croutons and dressing as well as parm cheese. Place them in a tupperware bowl and shake then you are all set. ALso you can add that already cooked packaged chicken from Louis Rich and you've got chicken ceasar salad for 2 plus. I did this when we were at OKW and BCV and returning from the parks too late to grab a bite to eat in a restaurant.
While at AKL we had food at Mara-Lunch was around $40. for the 4 of us, Breakfast was around $25 this was none of us sharing. Hardly worth stocking up on groceries for that mini frige, since it doesn't have that much room and you really can't use the freezer.

Gogurt and/or yogurt smoothies and granola bars. Cheesesticks (ie string cheese) and apples. PB&J on whole wheat bread. Single serving OJ cartons. We also like the Slimfast (low-carb version) shakes for breakfast. You can use hot water from a coffee maker for oatmeal, instant hot cocoa, tea, cup o' soups, etc... BTW...love that chicken caesar salad idea...I'll use that one next trip!

We ate a lot of peanut butter. It holds up really well in the backpack.

We brought bagels for breakfast because they are filling.

Apples also hold up well and make a good snack midmorning. So did peanuts or raisins.

I brought those sandwich sized zip lock containers that are reusable/disposable.

They were so great. I didn't worry if we lost them, which we didn't. Sandwiches didn't get mushed, and then we used them to store leftovers from restaurants! It was sealed more securely then anything you get in a restaurant and we could snack on leftovers later.

Karen

Think leftovers too! The portions are huge at many of the restaurants, so leave room in the frig to bring your doggie bags back to the room for another meal later. Order pizza in your room one night and you have some great breakfasts with the leftovers!

I'm not certain about AKL, but there are usually microwaves available in the snack bar area of the hotels that you could use even though you don't have one in your room.

For breakfast in the room, we always have on hand:

Bagels and cream cheese
Pb&j sandwiches (yes, for breakfast!) :)
Cheese & crackers
Cereal & milk (only if the kids are with us)
Granola bars
Extra coffee & cream

Sometimes if I'm ambitious before the trip (and only if the 3 kids are along), I will make some baked goods to pack in our carry-on like a couple of loaves of banana bread or some muffins, etc.

It'll be great not to have to do the cooler thing in the room this trip!! We're staying at AKL too and have requested a fridge.

Have fun!! We're so exited to stay at AKL for the very first time!

Originally posted by WisconsinDisneyGirl
We will also be bringing a cooler to the parks.

I don't think this is allowed. At least I've never seen anyone with one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

::MickeyMo

and we did on our last trip. It's a small one that holds 8 cans of soda or the equivalent. we used it for bottled water and juice for our then 14 month old. We thought the only reason we got away with it is because we had a baby with us but it seems to be a standard now.

This time we are taking Brita filter bottles so we don't have to lug the cooler and some quick snacks for our 2 year old and 4 year old to share. packs of gold fish crackers, peanut butter crackers, granola bars.

On our grocery stop we will get sodas for the room, milk, bananas, apples, granola bars, packets of oatmeal, hot chocolate (we are not coffee drinkers) juice boxes and deli sandwhiches for dinner our first night.

Other possibilities include the small lunchable packs of cracker stackers, cold cuts and cheeses for sandwhiches, fruit cups that don't need refrigerating, puddings that don't need refrigerating. Also, not sure of the age of your children but the baby care centers in each park have microwaves and have let us heat the little bucket meals for toddlers in there because my dd got sick off of anything she ate in the parks. They were very understanding!

We use the backpack/cooler combination so it is no bigger than a back pack. The top is mesh and we use it to hold chips (usually pringles so they don't break), wipes, sunscreen, yayaya, the bottom portion is a cooler and we put drinks and frozen water in there (sometimes sandwiches). We have never been asked to throw anything away and they do search it everytime.
Also, you might check out the bakery dept at the grocery for muffins or such as breakfast items.

Yes, a small cooler seems to be allowed. There are those who will tell you otherwise (there are those who would flame anyone who wanted to bring a roll of lifesavers into the parks), but any rules Disney ever had against bringing food into the parks seem to have evaporated. We have taken in a small soft-sided cooler a couple of times and left it in a locker (can't live without our Mountain Dew and you can't get it at Disney!) and no one has said a word. There are no signs, there is nothing on the handouts you get when you enter the parks, and the security guards do not say anything. Obviously, if you brought in a giant wheeled thing and planned on dragging it around all day it might be a different story, but we just returned and saw many people bringing in small lunchbox-sized coolers. No one even bats an eye. ::yes::

Becky

My kids love PB and Nutella sandwiches for breakfast. Or Nutella on toast. When we stay at VWL we bring an electric sandwich maker or George Foreman grill and make french toast or grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. We

You can microwave an egg in a small custard cup with a little bit of water and then use it to make quick egg mcmuffin type sandwiches with ham and cheese.

I mix up ziploc bags of trail mix with yogurt raisins, wholesome cereals, nuts, and dried fruit. The kids like apple slices with Nutella dip.

During our WDW vacation, I buy the sugary Disney cereals for the kids to eat for breakfast or snacks. It's the only time I let them eat so much sugar for breakfast. But it's Disney themed and they love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter