What resorts should we visit?

Pbeh

Mouseketeer
We are staying at the Caribbean resort for 3 nights in early August. One day will be at MK, the rest is at resort. We have never stayed at a resort before, and picked Caribbean because it is moderate price and our kids (7,4) will love that pool. We are not going to pool hop because we know it's against rules, but are looking for any suggestions as far as things to see at other resorts. We don't have a lot of time, and the Caribbean looks to have things to do, so we might only get to one or two other resorts to peek, so your suggestions will help us decide what to prioritize. Thanks!

Boardwalk in the evening is alway fun. Then there is Beach's & Cream at the Yacht & Beach club. Both areas have excellent restaurants.

I would assume that you have a car, because Disney does not make it easy to resort hop...they want you at a park spending money not sightseeing around different resorts. There are no busses that go from a resort to another resort, so if you don't have a car you must take the bus to a park and then change busses and backtrack to another resort. Say you wanted to go to the Animal Kingdom Lodge from the Caribbean Resort...you would take the bus to Animal Kingdom and then take the bus from Animal Kingdom to the Lodge.

That said my two favorites are the Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Both lodges are spectacular and really invoke the theme of their particular resorts name. Another new favorite is the Art of Animation resort just based on the Disney characters around the resort bldgs and the main building common area with all of it's Disney drawings and pictures.

I'd do exactly as PP noted - since CBR is near Epcot, I'd visit the Epcot resorts, BC/YC/BWI - the Boardwalk itself is a lot of fun with lots of action going on. Since the Epcot resorts are at the opposite end of where the buses drop you off at Epcot, you could either take a bus from CBR and walk (which will probably not be advisable in the heat of August, although it is only 1 mile) or, take the boat from DHS right to the Epcot resorts -- if I remember correctly, the first stop is the Swan and Dolphin, then the Boardwalk Inn, followed by the BC/YC. Just be sure to keep track of time so that when you want to go back to CBR you can reverse the path -- otherwise you are going to have to take a bus from one of the Epcot hotels to Epcot (yes, the other side) and then take another bus back to CBR. You could do a cab as well as they are so close that it wouldn't cost much (less than $20) for the way home.

Tom

We loved walking around POR the last time we were there. It's so relaxing and beautiful.

I'd do exactly as PP noted - since CBR is near Epcot, I'd visit the Epcot resorts, BC/YC/BWI - the Boardwalk itself is a lot of fun with lots of action going on. Since the Epcot resorts are at the opposite end of where the buses drop you off at Epcot, you could either take a bus from CBR and walk (which will probably not be advisable in the heat of August, although it is only 1 mile) or, take the boat from DHS right to the Epcot resorts -- if I remember correctly, the first stop is the Swan and Dolphin, then the Boardwalk Inn, followed by the BC/YC. Just be sure to keep track of time so that when you want to go back to CBR you can reverse the path -- otherwise you are going to have to take a bus from one of the Epcot hotels to Epcot (yes, the other side) and then take another bus back to CBR. You could do a cab as well as they are so close that it wouldn't cost much (less than $20) for the way home.

Tom

If you take the bus to epcot, you would have to take another bus to BC/YC or Boardwalk. You can't walk through epcot without a ticket. I like the idea of taking the bus to DHS and taking the boat to the boardwalk.

You could also take the bus to magic kingdom, then take the monorail to visit GF, Poly, and the contemporary. And from that same drop off point you could take the boat to WL. When you get to WL, you could walk to Fort Wilderness and there's a lot of stuff to do there (like visit the horses).

~Cari~ pluto:

I would assume that you have a car, because Disney does not make it easy to resort hop...they want you at a park spending money not sightseeing around different resorts. There are no busses that go from a resort to another resort, so if you don't have a car you must take the bus to a park and then change busses and backtrack to another resort. Say you wanted to go to the Animal Kingdom Lodge from the Caribbean Resort...you would take the bus to Animal Kingdom and then take the bus from Animal Kingdom to the Lodge.

That said my two favorites are the Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Both lodges are spectacular and really invoke the theme of their particular resorts name. Another new favorite is the Art of Animation resort just based on the Disney characters around the resort bldgs and the main building common area with all of it's Disney drawings and pictures.

Yes, we will have a car, so we can get anywhere they will let us into.

Yes, we will have a car, so we can get anywhere they will let us into.

In that case, then I'd drive over to the Boardwalk Inn or YC/BC (all right next to each other) and you can walk around the water and stop at shops on the boardwalk, visit Espn Club, stop for ice cream at Beaches & Cream, rent a surrey bike, walk to mini golf....if you're there later at night, you can watch Illuminations right from that area.

Another thought is Animal Kingdom Lodge. There isn't as much to do as in the boardwalk area, but the resort is so unique with the animal viewings that it's a neat experience.

I would actually avoid the Epcot resorts. It will be hot in August, and try explaining to your kids that they can't swim at SAB. ;)

If I remember correctly, you're right around the corner from AoA. So I'd definitely plan on visiting that one. It shouldn't take too long to visit each section, and the kids will love it. I think you could get away with considering it a bonus third, because it's close by.

I always recommend visiting the AKL! I could spend all day there, even if I wasn't staying there. There's cookie decorating, face painting, crafts, animal viewing, etc. And there's a playground right by the animals. The quick service is my favorite, too. Zebra domes!

My kids' favorite resort is POFQ/R. They love riding the boat, eating beignets, and playing on the playgrounds (POR is their favorite at Disney, after the dig yard at AK).

I haven't ever been to WL/FW, but we are staying there this summer, and it looks like there's a lot to do (the grounds, trains, crafts, etc. and then the C&D campfire at FW and animals).

If you have a free evening, my kids loved watching the fireworks and water parade from the Poly beach.

Have fun! We love hanging out at the resorts. It's relaxing in comparison to the parks, but still fun. There's a fun little island (Caribbean Cay) at your place the kids will enjoy.

If you take the bus to epcot, you would have to take another bus to BC/YC or Boardwalk. You can't walk through epcot without a ticket. I like the idea of taking the bus to DHS and taking the boat to the boardwalk.

You could also take the bus to magic kingdom, then take the monorail to visit GF, Poly, and the contemporary. And from that same drop off point you could take the boat to WL. When you get to WL, you could walk to Fort Wilderness and there's a lot of stuff to do there (like visit the horses).

~Cari~ pluto:
To make life even more difficult, there are no buses from the front of Epcot to the Epcot Resorts.

If I could only pick one area to visit, it'd probably be Fort Wilderness/Wilderness lodge. There's just so much to do between the two of them! We easily spend an entire summer's day at FW doing morning horseback riding trail rides, visiting the stables, going to the petting zoo, playing on the playgrounds, doing archery, canoeing (though idk if this is still an option there), walking over to WL and seeing all the animals, exploring WL, and then taking the boat back over to FW in order to enjoy the beach area and the main store. We typically top off our day at FW with seeing Hoop Dee Do early or enjoying the Trails End buffet. Then we head over to the campfire and sing along and meet Chip & Dale after making s'mores, and then watch the Disney movie they show at night. The campfire/chip and dale/movie are all free.

~Cari~ pluto:

Hi Cari: I wasn't clear, I meant take the bus to DHS and walk, as I knew that they wouldn't have a pass to waste walking through Epcot -- but it wasn't clear that is what I meant so I appreciate you clarifying.

Best regards,

Tom

With your short trip, I wouldn't waste a lot of time visiting resorts. I would pick one resort, maybe have breakfast or lunch, then head back to CBR.

With your short trip, I wouldn't waste a lot of time visiting resorts. I would pick one resort, maybe have breakfast or lunch, then head back to CBR.
If the OP hasn't been to WDW many times, I'll agree with you :)

However, as someone who's seen the parks enough, I enjoy the resorts just as much as the parks. I love visiting all of them.

I love resort hopping! Do a monorail run for Contemporary, Poly, and GF. POR is gorgeous! I would wait to do a more extensive tour when you have a longer trip.

first get an activity list from CRB - look that over first.

you can see the Epcot fireworks from CRB.

would go the MK resorts at night - to see the fireworks and EWP - either CR or Polyn

you could go to the polynesian, grab a dole whip and watch the electric water parade and mk fireworks from the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter