What resort is best to visit on a non park day, AKL question

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by ammag, May 1, 2013.

1. ammag

ammag DIS Veteran

DD6, DS2, my mom (her first trip since 1986) my husband and I. We will be at AoA resting by the pool, but want to get out around 3pm to explore and have dinner..inking poly or animal kingdom lodge look the most fun but do you have any other suggestions? We can always do DTD but I would love to explore the resorts.....

Also does AKL let non AKL guests participate in the kids story time, animal viewing etc. or would we just be able to eat dinner and walk a bit?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. dgagnon519

dgagnon519 DVC member AKL since 2009

I agree that those are the best choices for a Resort day. AKL is our DVC home resort so I am a little bias. I prefer AKL dining over Poly dining for dinner. Anyone can participate in resort activities, just cannot use the pool.
    Night vision was nice and relaxing by the savannah is nice.

4. Ilivetogo

Ilivetogo I really DO want to live there!

You can do almost everything at the resorts (except go to the pool). Just check with a CM and get a schedule to see what's going on that you can do.

At AKL, checking out the animals at one of the MANY viewing areas is VERY cool - especially for the kids. Even at night - there's night-vision goggles to see them on the savannah. Too cool.

[​IMG]
    DSCN9307 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN9320 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN9334 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMGP0752 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN9396 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

The rest of the resort is just beautiful with lots of artwork, etc. There are places to sit on rocking chairs and watch animals, sit around the fire pit in the evening, etc.

[​IMG]
    IMGP1352 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMGP0679 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMGP0967 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

The dining at AKL is definitely known as some of the DISsers favorites.

Zebra Domes at The Mara -- YUM!!

[​IMG]
    IMGP0708 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN9415 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN5286 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN5287 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

Checking out resorts is very fun! Especially AKL cuz of the animals!

5. ammag

ammag DIS Veteran

Thanks! It looks amazing wish we could afford to stay there! Maybe next time. Would you bother if you were going to AK the next day? My DD loves Africa and wants to be a vet in the wild there, we are doing one day at AK one at MK. Bt I want to experience as much as possible. I wish ADRs didn't have ot be made so far in advance! They would get a kick out of eating the kitchen sink from beaches and cream for dinner, but not sure if that's as much fun.....