What meals do you cook are your family's favorites?

DD loves pasta so her favorites are ziti with homemade pesto or homemade provencal tomato sauce or cheese tortellini with homemade tomato basil sauce. She also loves steak, mashed potatoes and broccoli.

DH will eat anything but loves seafood or beef best.

I don't like meat and don't eat pasta so I often don't eat what I make for the 2 of them.

I really don't care for cooking. I mostly look at it as an annoying chore.

My favorites would have to be:
Ham dinner (mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus, gravy & rolls)
Chuck roast dinner, potatoes, carrots and extra onions (I prefer it with mashed potatoes but will eat it with the roasted potatoes as well) I'm about the only one that like this meal so I usually only cook it like 1-2 times a year. :sad1:
Chicken Pot Pie

DH- He's more of a meat & potato kind of guy. Doesn't like many casseroles. He likes when I make salmon (I don't eat salmon so I usually pick up some fresh cod for myself) Spaghetti & meatballs (he likes to cut up either hot dogs or keilbasa in the sauce :crazy2:, I prefer italian sausage) He also enjoys a good homemade cheeseburger with sauteed fresh mushrooms

DS19- His favorites would have to be chicken enchilladas, chicken pot pie, salmon, spaghetti & meatballs and anything with stuffing lol

DS18- he could live off of mac & cheese, plain and simple. But his other favorites are chicken alfredo casserole (made this last night), burgers, spaghetti & meatballs

Usual requests:

Tacos
Smothered burritos
Fried rice
hamburger, rice, stewed tomatoes
naan pizza
swedish meatballs
spaghetti
meatloaf
chicken noodle soup (winter)
chicken salad
beef hash
egg bake
this shrimp, lemon, broccoli, garlic pasta or rice dish that I whip up on nights we are broke/in a rush
lemon pepper fish. Always served with pesto quinoa that I add fresh broccoli to

Last edited:
Jambalaya
Spaghetti w/meat sauce
Lasagna
Tacos
Parmesan crusted pork chops
Jalapeno popper chicken
Stir fry
Chicken curry over coconut rice

DH:

Aji de gallina (Peruvian shredded chicken dish)
Thai basil chicken
Thai curry chicken

All my dishes are vegan. These are some favourites:

Coconut Ginger soup with carrots potatoes zucchini

hot german potato salad
korean fire beef
vietnamese pork chops

Anyone want to share their recipes for the above? I LOOOOOVE german potato salad, but only ever get the deli stuff. Would love to make my own with a tried and true recipe!

Thai lettuce wraps
Indian butter chicken
Poppyseed chicken casserole
Taco bowls
Bunless burgers topped with homemade pimento cheese
Rosemary ranch chicken (allrecipes, same as the previous poster, it's SO good!)
Beef Bulgogi
Tortellini and sausage soup (crock pot)
Homemade spaetzle (type of German noodle, my husband's favorite food - my MIL recently brought me an authentic spaetzle board and wooden knife back from Germany, still trying to get the hang of it! Haha)

Those are all the regular requests from my hubs. I also make a huge batch of my dad's homemade meat sauce at least once a month and we freeze it and eat it for lunches. It cooks for like 5-6 hours so it's generally an all day thing, but so worth it!

Anyone want to share their recipes for the above? I LOOOOOVE german potato salad, but only ever get the deli stuff. Would love to make my own with a tried and true recipe!

The coconut ginger soup is a version I made up after having it at the Farmer's Market buffet in Maui. I took a picture of the ingredients listed and tried to copycat it. I've come pretty close to perfecting it but I still have to play around with spice levels.

It's a very rich soup better served in Fall or Winter but I made it last week and everyone was happy.

Coconut Ginger Soup

(Copycat version of Maui’s Farmer’s Market)

1 ½ Garlic powder

1 ½ Onion powder

Pinch of cumin

Pinch of Cayenne

2 inches ginger (or more), diced

1 large onion, diced

4 cans of coconut milk (The higher the fat content, the creamer it will be. I use two high fat and two lower fat)

6 garlic cloves, crushed

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp Spike (or vegetable salt)

3 tsp soy sauce or Tamari

2 zucchinis chopped

4 carrots chopped

4 russet potatoes chopped

Fry chopped onion in soup pot adding in garlic cloves and ginger about a minute before onion is cooked. No oil is necessary for frying but you can add a bit of water if ingredients start sticking.

Add cans of coconut milk and all spices except soy sauce. Bring to a slow boil.

Add potatoes and carrots and cook for approx 5 minutes. Add zucchinis and soy sauce and cook for 2 more minutes.

Taste and tweak spices to your liking.

Aji de Gallina-
2 lb chicken breasts
1 onion, quartered
2 carrots, halved
2 cloves garlic
8 cups water
1/2 loaf cubed white bread
1 12oz can evaporated milk
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup walnut pieces
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon aji de Amarillo paste (you can find it at a Latin American grocery store or online)
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste

1- put chicken, onion, carrot, and garlic in large pot with water. Bring to boil, then simmer covered for 30-45 minutes. Remove and cool chicken. Shred once chicken is cooled. reserve liquid and veggies.
2- pour milk and 1/2 cup of reserved liquid into blender. Add the reserved carrot from the liquid. Purée. Add bread and purée again. Add parmesan and walnuts and purée once more. Set aside.
3- heat a little oil in a large skillet. Cook onion and garlic until translucent. Add chicken, aji paste, turmeric, and bread purée from the blender. Heat until hot through. Add more stock, a few tablespoons at a time, if it gets too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over rice. Consistency should be thick, but not clumpy. Traditionally garnished with sliced hard boiled eggs.

Thai Basil Chicken

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced very thin
1/2 large red or green bell pepper, chopped into 1 inch squares
2-3 fresh Thai Chiles, finely sliced (2 for medium heat, 3 for very spicy)
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon brown or white sugar
20 leaves fresh basil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

1- stir together fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, water, and sugar until sugar dissolves.
2- mix garlic, Thai Chiles, and oil.
3- in a large frying pan or wok over high heat, stir oil mixture for 30 seconds. Add chicken and stir fry until chicken is no longer pink. Add bell pepper and sauce mixture.
4- stir fry for a minute until everything is hot. Add basil leaves and stir fry for 30 seconds. Mix cornstarch and water to form a slurry- add to dish and stir to thicken. Serve immediately over hot steamed rice.

Meatloaf
Enchiladas (beef or chicken)
Lasagna
Pulled pork with homemade bbq sauce
Crabcakes
Blackened chicken fettuccine Alfredo
Country fried steak
Biscuits and gravy

The favorites that everyone will eat are

tacos
nachos
quesadillas
a crockpot chicken thigh recipe that I have
corned beef and cabbage
chicken parmigiana
chili
chicken francese

There are a bunch of other favorites that 2 out of 3 kids will eat.

DH:
Cincinnati chili
Pad Thai
Nam Sod (Thai pork salad)
Stuffed Poblano peppers
Italian sausage with peppers & onions
Runzas (ground beef, cabbage and cheese filling in a bread dough dumpling)
Aji de gallina (Peruvian shredded chicken dish)

DD:
Lemon Chicken
Thai basil chicken
Chorizo chicken
Thai curry chicken
Homemade cream of tomato soup
Bruscetta
Chicken & waffles with flavored butter
I want to come eat at your house!

For every family party I have to bring my American Chop-suey. My nephews and my stepfather would rather eat that than anything and I am persona non grata if I dare to make something else! Fortunately I have made it so many times that I can do it blindfolded and it's a pretty easy recipe without a ton of prep work. I won't divulge my secret ingredient to anyone so when they make it for themselves it is never quite as good as mine!

DD's favorites are chicken with macaroni and tomatoes or what we call "Outback Mac" which is my take on the Outback restaurant's kid's mac and cheese.

My favorite is traditional baked mac and cheese. I second what the PP said about not using the pre-shredded cheeses - you have to shred it yourself to get the best flavor! The trick to a great mac and cheese "crust" is to toast the breadcrumbs in a frying pan first with butter before putting them on top and baking.

Some family favorites are a lot of work or have pricey ingredients so are only made for holiday meals - baked stuffed shells, beef tenderloin, cheesy potato bake, any dessert involving mousse!

Our favorites are

Crockpot chicken tacos/burritos
Hot Dog Noodle Bake
Spaghetti (For DH and I with meatballs)

Also for DH and I (I make in the winter)

Crockpot potato soup

Summer rotation
Burgers
Dumplings fried rice
Lettuce wraps
Meatballs and spaghetti (*I do squash for me)
one pot chicken, sausage potato scallion thing

but it's more of a cook whatever kind of time for us. I am off work for the summer so tend to think out of the box. Or not at all. lol.
Tonite is ranch chicken legs with rice and a tomato mozzarella salad. I got some beautiful tomatoes from my Dad's friend. I will be enjoying those quite a bit this week. Along with zucchini

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter