What makes a maiden voyage special?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by stitch'sgirl, Oct 19, 2010.

1. stitch'sgirl

stitch'sgirl Mouseketeer

Except of course the bragging rights! For those that have been or have heard about the Magic and Wonder, is it worth the extra cost? I just looked at dvc points for the trip and it's more than I want to part with. Looks like it's a cash trip.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dursin

dursin DIS Veteran

Nothing, except as you stated, bragging rights...which really have no value at all.

4. Hygiene99

Hygiene99 <font color=teal>I am quite the little Teapot<br><

And u usually get to pay more! :lmao:

5. kcooley

kcooley Earning My Ears

Actually the points aren't as bad as we expected. The MV for the Fantasy is actually in the next to highest point rate. I would have expected it to be higher.

From what I've heard, there are extra perks (inaugural merchandise), dignitaries on board, etc. - so yes, bragging rights, but the experience you won't forget or be able to replicate on another cruise.

We canceled our SS Member Cruise for 2011 just to do the inaugural on the Fantasy. We can always do another double-dip Member Cruise later - we can only do a particular ship's MV once.

6. wickesy

wickesy <font color=royalblue>Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love y

It's not quite the same thing but we did the Inaugural Baltic Cruise this year and got a few gifts from Disney through the cruise, like a Ducky Williams print, a set of coasters for each port in a tin and a china plate. There was also specific merchandise for the Inaugural cruise. Maybe they will do something similar for the maiden voyages. :confused3

7. dursin

dursin DIS Veteran

The inaugural merchandise will hit eBay soon enough...probably at a cost which is far less than the difference in price between the inaugural cruise and the ones following it. :) I have a few shirts from the Magic's inaugural cruise that I picked up on eBay a few years ago for a decent price. The experience on subsequent cruises should be roughly equal to that of the inaugural cruise...perhaps even better as the iron things out and get the ship running smoothly.

8. Luckymomoftwo

Luckymomoftwo DIS Veteran

:scared1: I'm so sorry to hear that! We've got a REALLY FANTASTIC group of people cruisng on the 2011 SS Member Cruise. But, ITA...you can only do a particular ship's MV once. So, I guess I'll forgive you. :rotfl2: We made some really great friends on the 2010 Member Cruise and we're all going again in 2011. Wait, let me re-phrase that....we were all lucky enough to book it again for 2011. That was a crazy day! I dialed for three hours straight and then sat on hold for almost two hours and then took another half hour to get my confirmation number. Time well spent, though. :goodvibes

9. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

You also have to be ready for a few little problems.
    There is always something that doesn't work right, or an issue that doesn't turn up until real passengers....acting like real passengers, get on board.
    Maybe a light bulb missing, an a/c control that doesn't work........an engine that fails:scared1:...who knows.

10. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

I was on the MV of the Magic. It was a total MESS! However, by the time the Wonder launched, DCL had learned how to operate a cruise ship.

Basically, bragging rights, special merchandise, special "give away" items, and you never know who will be on board. Of course, that happens on all the "special" cruises.

I would expect the Dream and Fantasy MVs to be relatively smooth compared to the Magic's issues. However, it's not worth the increased prices, especially since it doesn't work with DD's school schedule.

11. Haley

Haley DIS Veteran

Yeah, i think it's just a neat thing to do and they'll have special merchandise but I priced the Fantasy MV this morning and it was just too expensive-- I'm not paying $4K for an interior cabin no matter what the cruise is ...lol

12. BobandLee

BobandLee Proud Parrothead with Mouse Ears

That's O.K., we'll take our chances.:goodvibes

Definitely looking forward to the Dream.

13. 3minnie's1mickey

3minnie's1mickey Earning My Ears

I think there would be a lot of this:woohoo:...that:hippie: and the other thing:banana: