What kind of a housekeeping tipper are you?

What kind of a housekeeping tipper are you?

• I tip from the very beginning (hoping that will get things cleaner)

• I tip only if everything is cleaned from the day before.

• I only tip if I get a towel animal.

• I tip differently, so I will explain below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
None tipper, never has been in our first 25 years of WDW until some made it so on these many Disney forums.... Just not a tipped position... If you feel the urge... Have at it...

Disney used to say way back when, tipping is not expected ( you won't see hands out) but is appreciated!

My family has always tipped housekeeping when we stayed in hotels, including when we visited WDW the year it opened. I don't think it's a Disney forum phenomenon, tipping hotel housekeepers has been happening for a long, long time.

I must say in my 40 or so trips over 40 years I have had only 1 housekeeping problem on WDW property. I tip 1st morning with a list of anything extra my family may require for the week. This usuaalyy involves extra pillows and towels.1st day tip is 10.00 then every other day another 10 if service level keeps up. And 99% it has luckily:cool1: I am now a DVC member so I'm open to hearing how club members tip. My 1st stay will be an 8 nighter in a 2 br OKW meaning I get full service on 4th day. Should I leave something that morning as long as I arrived in a clean room ?? Hmmm a little help here:confused3

We have always tipped five to ten dollars per dsy at hotels when we travel. We are also guilty of forgetting occasionally on the last day! We either place the money on a pillow or on the bedside with THANK YOU on a notepad page. It's been our experience that they wouldn't take it otherwise. I usually end up asking for a firm pillow because the feather kills my neck. Once I left a note in vein figuring I was out of luck because I knew she spoke very little English. When I came back, there was my pillow. She was tipped very well.

I voted "I tip differently" because while we don't tip everyday, we DO tip on the days we choose to have houskeeping. We don't require them to clean everyday, so we put the do not disturb sign out and they leave towels at the door. We are not the type of people who need a freshly made bed everyday and we are not messy, so housekeeping isn't necessary every single day for us. :goodvibes

ETA: When we tip, we do it the morning of to ensure that the person getting the tip is the person doing the work. If we ever have an unsatisfactory result, I am sure we would make a call, but so far, our houskeepers at POP have been great.

Ditto here, We usually leave $3.

I tip daily. Waiting till end of stay that rip may. Go to someone that just came on duty, and the person who carefully cleaned my room all week gets nothing. Hardly fair. I do this at non WDW hotels too.

I realize housekeeping is a non tipping position at Disney, but we leave $1 per person, per day anyway.

I don't do it in hopes of getting a better cleaning job. So far I've never encountered poor housekeeping.

For those that say they don't tip ( in restaurants too) because its not done at home, as the saying goes, when in Rome......... Just sayin

I tip daily and I'm happy to do it.. If I can afford going on vacation I can afford leaving a tip.. I'm sure housekeeping isn't a high paying job and 99% of them are woman and could be single mom's.. And I also tip at all hotels not just Disney.. just this past weekend was in NH for a gymnastics meet left five bucks.
I always think of it as I could of just made someones day :)

I tip very well to actual tipped position people. Valet, bell hop, waiters, hair dresser etc. Housekeeping is not a tipped position.

We tip daily because you may not have the same housekeeper every day and you may tip at the very end of your stay and be giving a big tip to a girl who has only cleaned your room that one day while the lady who has been sweating over your room every other day now gets no tip. ALways tip daily.

When it is just my DH and myself I tip $5 a day. I leave it with a note saying Thank you Mousekeeping. When the whole family is there and we are in a 2 room suite with 2 bathrooms and 4 beds to make I leave a $10 tip every day.

we dont tip the housekeeping. They are in a union And, their job description is a non tipped one.
So...we dont tip. But...we always have towel animals for the kids.
I also dont leave a mess for them. We keep things well kept.

We usually skip housekeeping services and just request fresh towels. We prefer not to have anyone in our room when we are not there. Several years ago, in an off-property timeshare, my husband's pain medication was stolen from our room by someone that entered the condo to change the TV from a tube to a flat screen.

No, we didn't lock his medications in the room safe. Lesson learned.

However, although we can't be 100% sure that no one enters our room when we are not in it, we make every effort to minimize the need for anyone to come into our room. We also lock medications and other valuables in the room safe.

Because we don't utilize Mousekeeping much, we don't tip until the end of the stay.

We tip $2 per person per day and add extra if we leave an extra mess. Our last trip, on our last night there, my youngest got sick in the bathroom and ended up getting vomit on the shower curtain. We tipped VERY WELL and also spoke with housekeeping management to let them know what had happened. I leave our "Mousekeeping" Envelope on a pillow and we also decorate with stickers. :goodvibes

I usually leave between $10-$20, really depending on my mood and how I feel service was. We usually only stay 3-4 nights and we are a family of 3.
I don't think it's necessary to leave anything, but I do think it's one way to give back pixie dust to the people who work hard to make our stay that much better.

We tip $5 per day and we're a generally clean family of 6. We don't leave crumbs all over the floor or unmade beds. I print mousekeeping envelops off before I leave home and put a 5 in each one. Then I leave one out each day on the bed where they can see it. I figure, at the very least, it's worth it to see what they do with the stuffed animals and dolls in our room! :yay: We've never not had someone put our toys into cute poses.

I don't use the 'not a tippable position' as a reason not to tip. All that means is that they do not have thier hourly pay cut in anticipation of tips. Waiters get below minimum wage because it is expected that they will get an average amount in tips so thier hourly pay is figured using around 15% as customer subsidized. Now anything beyond that is just gravy. for them. Housekeepers do not get thier hourly pay cut down because lots of people don't know or don't care to tip, but just like waiters if they do a good job then any money's or tips left for them above your hourly pay is gravy. If Disney did not want you to tip them then housekeeping would be a no tips allowed position like the greeters and concierge workers. They are NOT allowed to accept any tips and Disney is very clear on that policy. They get only what they are paid by Disney, no money from guests for extra services rendered.
That is the best explanation I have ever seen on disboards regarding whether this is a tipped position or not.
In addition, I am not sure what being a memebr of a union has to do with tipping. All CM's at WDW are union members, except for bell services where the jobs are contracted out.
Also, do a search for housekeeping on the Disney web site that lists job postings - there is nothing in the job description that refers to tipping.

We do not tip housekeeping unless our kids have somehow made an exceptional mess. We also leave the do not disturb sign up most days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter