What is your rain strategy for the parks?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by d1gitman, Aug 9, 2013.

?

What is your preferred method of dealing with rain in the Parks?

1. Umbrella

2. Raincoat

3. Poncho

4. Disposeable Poncho

5. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lacrosse_lady72

lacrosse_lady72 I

Other- it's just rain so we don't really do much. We still walk in it, we don't wear anything to block it from getting us wet. The clothes I wear dry fast though and I usually bring an extra pair of socks if I wear shoes, or flip flops as a back up.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lacrosse_lady72

lacrosse_lady72 I

The only disadvantages I've experienced come from my hair. I straighten it and when it gets wet, it's a big poof ball. At home when it rains it's usually cold outside so I usually have some kind of hoodie to protect my hair.

There are so many advantages, people clear out of the way! They leave the lines that aren't undercover. If it rains for too long, people just leave the parks in general, or take time to eat a meal... either way, you have a less crowded park. I remember in September 2007, it rained so much that it felt like a ghost town sometimes. And another time, I went to and EMH at DHS where there was NO ONE there and all the rides were walk on.

4. pioneer89

pioneer89 Not my name

Umbrellas are just like anything else with a high potential for rudeness. 99% of the people are polite and careful, but that 1% is going to give everyone else a bad name.

Personally, we use some nice heavy-duty ponchos with snap sides. They are heavy compared to the disposable ones, but don't rip, and are much cooler because they don't 'cling'. They are also long enough so that my feet have some coverage. (I'm 6'7" and most disposable ponchos look like mini-skirts on me.)

5. DVCcurious

DVCcurious Mouseketeer

I just throw on a speedo and some flip flops and head out to Fantasyland.

6. katt789

katt789 DIS Veteran

I always just tough it out, and if the rain is bad enough/we're outside enough, then I'll invest in some Disney poncho's! They're strong enough that they last a couple of days. When the rain stops, I just fold them up and throw them in a plastic bag inside my bag and it takes up no room!

7. luvmy2babies

luvmy2babies DIS Veteran

I voted other because we use more than one thing.

Poncho for me although I’m thinking of taking a rain coat next time depending on when we go.

Both of my children wear rain coats. I generally have the poncho because I can cover my backpack as well, but having to constantly dry my arms is a pain. But then again we have not experienced the typical Florida showers yet. We had Tropical Storm Debby in 2012 and Tropical Storm Andrea in 2013.

We also have my son’s stroller cover.

And we did have umbrellas one day in 2012 during Tropical Storm Debby. 4 straight days of downpours and wind. It wasn’t crowded. Debby’s worst day was my daughter’s BBB day. She had a long gown and we had CRT after BBB and it took my poncho and an umbrella to protect the gown and her hair. And of course haven given up my poncho, I needed something.

Probably because of our experience with Debby, we did not use an umbrella during Tropical Storm Andrea. She was rough, but she was no Debby.

8. corneredbycorn

corneredbycorn Mouseketeer

We use umbrellas. We hate ponchos; we will never use them again. They're messy and hard to pack up again and so hot it feels like a sauna. Umbrellas give us air flow, don't obstruct our vision, and pack away in about three seconds.

9. kirby428

kirby428 Mousejunkie Wannabe

Betcha wear wicking fabrics for rapid dry. Even if the rain is blocked, it will be the sweating inside that makes a person wet. Once wet, any AC ENCLOSURE ROOM OR BUS will become the NORTH POLE. Cotton never dries. My polypro will dry in 10 minutes. My PP shirts are polo style that will meet dress code at the Signatures too. An electric hand dry fan in the restroom will speed dry time to 5 min.

10. Candleshoe

Candleshoe Trying to build a better mousetrip.

Unless it's winter, why wear anything? Enjoy the rain!

I hate ponchos, they're far too sticky.

If *anything* it would be an umbrella, but honestly I enjoy the rain.

11. Crickey

Crickey Mouseketeer

I am English

What is rain hahahahahahahaa

12. MrsJ Henry

MrsJ Henry DIS Veteran

We get a bunch of those little packages of ponchos at walmart before we go. Throw them in our bags. Also sometimes throw a compact cheap umbrella in.. depending....
    One year we actually poked holes in big garbage bags and wore them... worked pretty well... and soooo funny!:lmao:

13. Son of Gadsden

Son of Gadsden Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the

Last trip when the wife and I had just put our ponchos on and were walking through Tomorrowland, a mother and her daughter crossed in front of us wearing makeshift ponchos made from kitchen trashbags.

The daughter was about 8, and was complaining that they looked stupid. The mother just announced "Nonsense! We look beautiful, and we smell like lemon!"

14. roselark

roselark DIS Veteran

I keep a couple of Disney ponchos in my Owner's Locker and put one in my bag if the day calls for rain. They work well, but I don't like them much because they get really hot. I need to find something else. I don't mind my clothes getting wet, but I hate having wet hair and wet shoes. Maybe I should get one of those ugly rain bonnets and carry flip flops in my bag. :rotfl2:

15. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

So 'your' opinion is just that! I also think it's rude when people in wet ponchos think nothing of brushing up against 'dry' people in lines/stores/busses. That is my opinion!

I use an umbrella, and no, haven't poked anyone's eyes out yet, and have been considerate not to get too close to other's faces. When it rains too much for an umbrella, we leave. We 'do not' enjoy touring in the rain - we go do other things much more enjoyable 'to us' - to each their own. :goodvibes

As for flip flops in the rain. They can be very dangerous - we have seen some bad slips and falls.