What is your opinion on stateroom category?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by CrawfordMomof2, Nov 1, 2012.

1. CrawfordMomof2

CrawfordMomof2 Mouseketeer

Hi everyone!

We are looking into booking our first Disney cruise. My hubby will be graduating from school at the end of 2013, so we are looking into a 2014 cruise. ( When they get released. :) )

We have 2 boys ages 7 and 3. We are thinking about a Family Oceanview staterooom, but I have a few questions. What is the difference between 08B and 08C? And it looks like 8A has 2 windows. They appear to be the same amount of money as the other categories so what is the tradeoff ? ( I'm sure that there is one)

And last question, "Is a verandah stateroom worth the extra money?"

Thanks for your time and input everyone! :wave2:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

The 8A's do have the two large portholes but I believe they only hold 3 people (but not sure). The difference between the 8B and the 8C is just the location on the ship. The cabins are the same size in the 8B's and 8C's.

As far as "is a verandah worth it" that is totally a personal opinion. We like a verandah when the price is right but I would much rather sail in an oceanview and save the money. We have done 28 DCL cruises and the vast majority has been in oceanviews. some people won't cruise without one, some don't care.

If you like the oceanview then book it. Since it is your first cruise you have no comparison so you really won't be missing out on a verandah and you will paying less money!

MJ

4. capshockeygrl

capshockeygrl Mouseketeer

With regards to a verandah, I love having one. Its my own private little place to go and read or just watch the ocean go by for a while. Until you find out your neighbor is out on his smoking and you want nothing to do with the smell.

In all honesty, though, I think it really depends on how much time you feel like you'll spend in your stateroom. If you won't be around to use the verandah, why pay for it?

5. Summerl30

Summerl30 Mouseketeer

I would only book a verandah if our bed was closest to it. If I have to pass the kids' bed in the morning or at nighttime, I think it would defeat the purpose for me. I don't think its worth it for us unless we don't bring the kids.

6. aaklang

aaklang Mouseketeer

We don't care at all about having a verandah, we never use it. If the overall square footage of the room is bigger though (excluding the verandah), then it's worth it to me to pay for the better category.

7. GatorMomInNC

GatorMomInNC DIS Veteran

I've sailed DCL with my 2 boys (very similar ages to yours) in an OV and a balcony. Unless the price difference was minimal (I would say $300-$400 total for the cruise for a week) I would go with the OV. With the younger one especially, I didn't feel safe with the boys on their own on the balcony (in case they didn't adhere to the "no climbing on table rule"), so if they wandered out on the balcony, I felt like I needed to go out with them, and they would never stay long, just go in and out a lot. It was nice to have the view, especially in port, but I also loved the OV room because they boys would spend a lot of time sitting in that big window looking out at the ocean and I didn't have to worry about them. Our next cruise, next month, is an inside room because the boys have expressed an interest in the virtual porthole...

BTW, as far as what floor you are on, unless you are concerned with noise from overhead (i.e., you don't want to be below the kids club or the pool deck or other high traffic areas), then to me it isn't worth it to pay extra just to be a couple floors higher. Although, I always thought it would be nice to be on the same floor as the kids club so we could pop in and out easily...

8. MichelleVW

MichelleVW <font color=green>I call them "the people that liv

I've sailed in a verandah room on the Wonder and an inside cabin on the Dream, and unless they give me a free upgrade I'm sticking with the inside cabins on the newer ships. The virtual portholes are so cool! Where else can you see Goofy surfing by your window!! :thumbsup2

9. dennes

dennes Mouseketeer

Hi there
    We recently got off the sept 19 Pixar California cruise with my boys 5 and 9 and of course DH. We had a deck one ocean view room (can't remember which category) but it was the cheapest possible OV room.. We LOVED deck one - so quiet for the kids and there was a lot less foot traffic. We were right next to the entrance into the staff quarters but quite honestly we weren't in our room very much anyway.

We loved th OV layout as it meant that the kids slept at the far end of the room as opposed to the middle of the room in the interior rooms,

I am sure you will love which ever room you end up with :cool1:

10. Scillycruisers

Scillycruisers Mouseketeer

We would go with the veranda if at all possible. We like our windows to open and get fresh air in the room. We are from the UK so really not used to air con! Also cruise in Feb so it's not that hot! No problem that DS 6 sleeps near the window and we have to walk past to get out, once he's asleep very little wakes him, we can pick him up and carry him round, he won't even stir!