What is wrong with Saratoga Springs?

I actually heard Pete mention in the last 7 in 7 that he wanted to review Saratoga, but it was sold out. I know Kathy expressed her surprise due to it always being available. Other than that, what was said?

We love SSR and have stayed there twice before. Plan to book again for next year.

Mrs TT

Never made fun of Saratoga Springs.

Being from upstate NY, I think it's kinda cool that I recognize all of the names.

I have to amend my original statement, the team does not always make fun of saratoga springs. I apologize for that. However, I was just wondering what they had against it

Never made fun of Saratoga Springs.

Being from upstate NY, I think it's kinda cool that I recognize all of the names.
I have to amend my original statement, the team does not always make fun of saratoga springs. I apologize for that. However, I was just wondering what a couple members had against it

I have to say I don't particularly care for it. I stayed there once, and found it very spread out, it was a long walk to the bus stop (even taking "short cuts" suggested by CM's), and def. too far to walk to main area for sure, since I did not have a car. Also personally did not care for interior colors or layout of 1-bedroom unit, I found the little "cement pad" that was called a "patio" pretty small, and the landscaping around our particular unit "boring", since it was really just flat grass. We did have a nice view of the Characters in Flight balloon when it was airborne from a distance, which was cool. I know there are other resorts just as spread out, and some like the colors, I'm just stating my preference. I do enjoy dining at the Turf Club (think it's a hidden gem), and have been there several times, even when not staying at SSR.

I can't remember hearing them badmouth it. We went last summer and LOVED it. If it hadn't been £1000 more than CSR, we'd be staying there again next year, and we don't even like DTD, so being nearby isn't the attraction. We just loved the beautiful laid back feel and the total break from the parks. Great food, great bus services, great pools... very happy!

I have to amend my original statement, the team does not always make fun of saratoga springs. I apologize for that. However, I was just wondering what a couple members had against it
I still don't know what you mean by wondering what the team have against it?
Wouldn't they essentially have to bad mouth it to convey that they had an issue with it?

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I've ever really heard them talk too much about it at all

Like any resort it has its positives and negatives. But usually the complaint(not by the podcast team) is that it is large and not particularly close to any of the parks ...so for some people, that is a big drawback. I've stayed there twice and have enjoyed it both times. I think with the changes taking place at Disney Springs, SSR could be the best place to retire to after a day in the parks ...dinner and nightlife just outside your door. I think members of the team prefer other resorts over SSR at this point, but don't have anything against it.

I think the OP was referring to the few passing jokes about SSR. I never felt that they where because anybody particularly dislikes the SSR, more because it is a resort that is often overlooked by the Disney audience.

I think most people have very little experience with SSR because it was built from the beginning as a DVC resort, it isn't near a park, and it doesn't have a very elaborate theme.

I have visited every resort on property because I wanted to see them all but I suspect SSR's location and lack of elaborate theme keeps normal guests from visiting. AKL will draw you there because of the animals, the Boardwalk area and Monorail resorts will draw you there because they are very close to the parks. WL will draw you there because of the lobby and architecture. There isn't really anything at SSR that would make a guest spend some time looking around.

I also think, much like OKW, the average guest isn't exposed to the resort because they aren't DVC and know nothing about renting points. A guest might end up at a resort they normally wouldn't go out of their way to because it has availability or is part of a discount package and that gives them the opportunity to fall in love with it. That is how I found CSR. I wanted a moderate room with a Florida discount when a few friends were coming to visit and that is the only resort that had one. I ended up loving it and it is now my favorite Moderate.

I do suspect it will become more popular, at least with the more experience WDW guest who looks into renting points, once Disney Springs is up and fully completed.

I think most people have very little experience with SSR because it was built from the beginning as a DVC resort, it isn't near a park, and it doesn't have a very elaborate theme.

I have visited every resort on property because I wanted to see them all but I suspect SSR's location and lack of elaborate theme keeps normal guests from visiting. AKL will draw you there because of the animals, the Boardwalk area and Monorail resorts will draw you there because they are very close to the parks. WL will draw you there because of the lobby and architecture. There isn't really anything at SSR that would make a guest spend some time looking around.

I also think, much like OKW, the average guest isn't exposed to the resort because they aren't DVC and know nothing about renting points. A guest might end up at a resort they normally wouldn't go out of their way to because it has availability or is part of a discount package and that gives them the opportunity to fall in love with it. That is how I found CSR. I wanted a moderate room with a Florida discount when a few friends were coming to visit and that is the only resort that had one. I ended up loving it and it is now my favorite Moderate.

I do suspect it will become more popular, at least with the more experience WDW guest who looks into renting points, once Disney Springs is up and fully completed.

I totally agree with everything you're saying about SSR, and also OKW - I love OKW (matter of fact, it's in the running for my "fave" DVC resort with WLV - but wouldn't even know about it/have stepped foot on property there if friends who were owners hadn't invited me there, put me up, etc. I also agree that the popularity of SSR will probably grow along with Disney Springs.

My family and I absolutely loved Saratoga Springs, requested a room in Congress Park, and our room had beautiful views of Downtown Disney. My kids enjoyed the pool and its slides while watching a Disney movie. A healthy walk over a bridge takes you to Downtown Disney. The rooms are very comfortable and provide a full kitchen complete with silverware, cooking ware and small washing supplies. Washer/dryer inside the room was a major plus.

Whereas my family and I absolutely loved our stay there, I admit I found the resort to be very spread out and the pool is very far from some of the buildings. The resort felt more like an apartment complex and a lot of walking is involved if you want to go to the main building and main pool. But I'd definitely stay there again!

My advice is to study the resort map and request the building most conveniently located for your family's needs.

SSR is at the bottom of our list of DVC places to stay. We've stayed at all the on-property DVC resorts except the new Poly units. In 20+ years of DVC membership we've stayed multiple times at the various resorts (well, only once at VGF) so you could say we have given them all a fair trial. Our take?

As you might expect from my screen name, OKW is our favorite because its away from the parks, spread out and has the largest units. Following OKW, our favorites include BCV and BWV (in that order) for their convenience to Epcot. We also enjoy AKL for the animals. Lower down on the list are VWL, BLT, VGF, even though they are convenient to the MK.

SSR is at the bottom of the list because its not convenient to anything but DTD, the units are small and they stacked up a bunch of them into buildings that just feel like low-end apartment buildings. Because of the high density buildings there is always more noise with people coming and going.

SSR is at the bottom of our list of DVC places to stay. We've stayed at all the on-property DVC resorts except the new Poly units. In 20+ years of DVC membership we've stayed multiple times at the various resorts (well, only once at VGF) so you could say we have given them all a fair trial. Our take?

As you might expect from my screen name, OKW is our favorite because its away from the parks, spread out and has the largest units. Following OKW, our favorites include BCV and BWV (in that order) for their convenience to Epcot. We also enjoy AKL for the animals. Lower down on the list are VWL, BLT, VGF, even though they are convenient to the MK.

SSR is at the bottom of the list because its not convenient to anything but DTD, the units are small and they stacked up a bunch of them into buildings that just feel like low-end apartment buildings. Because of the high density buildings there is always more noise with people coming and going.
All very well stated, and I TOTALLY agree, Jeff. Guess you saw I love OKW too, and a lot of the reasons why are exactly what you stated. Nowhere else give me that "welcome home" feeling quite like OKW! :)

SSR will always be the Disney Institute to me. I haven't seen the resort as SSR but I loved the set up at the Institute. The YES Programs were under the Institute so I got to take advantage of all the cooking classes, photo classes etc for free. We could also use their workout area and were notified of different groups performances. My favorite was meeting the Broadway cast of Beauty and the Beast. After we watched their practice we were invited for food and drinks with the cast. I'm curious as to what are the difference between the Institute and SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter