What is with Southwest ??

Lilo&Stitch

Mouseketeer
Ok so I know gas prices are up and i know Southwest doesn't charge baggage fees, I know other airlines are higher etc.... But really $155 one way out of Midway ?? back in the ding days I would pay $50-59, long gone are those days ! but then I would pay 69-79 flying on a Tuesday, I was ok with that, I'm ok with the prices going up again because I understand the price of gas is high, but how do you justify more than doubling the fare ?? the last couple of weeks those off day flights are $155 and UP across the board, I just don't get it :confused3

I miss those low fare days, too. But...how much do you think it should cost to fly 1200 miles? I think a few years ago they were building market share and could afford to do so thanks to some excellent fuel hedging position. That isn't the case anymore, so prices are higher. I don't think $300 RT is "high"...it's just higher than what we've become accustomed to paying in some markets.

I haven't seen a Ding from Providence to Orlando since flights were $ 59.00
What really bothers me is if I search for a fligh for 1 person it's 135.00 but if I change it to 4 people it's 155. That's $ 80.00 addition for the same flight. Right now I have two 2 person flights for $ 135.00. I had to wait two days for the flight to go down for the second group.
One year I had 8 different confirmations, 4 down and 4 up. This was before the number check in.

Still before Southwest came to town Florida was a far off dream.
Love Southwest.

I haven't seen a Ding from Providence to Orlando since flights were $ 59.00
What really bothers me is if I search for a fligh for 1 person it's 135.00 but if I change it to 4 people it's 155. That's $ 80.00 addition for the same flight. Right now I have two 2 person flights for $ 135.00. I had to wait two days for the flight to go down for the second group.
One year I had 8 different confirmations, 4 down and 4 up. This was before the number check in.

Still before Southwest came to town Florida was a far off dream.
Love Southwest.

Why do the different prices bother you? Obviously there are not 4 seats still available at the lower price.

SWA is not the only airline. Lots of other airlines often have lower prices with better service. Try one of them.

I miss those low fare days, too. But...how much do you think it should cost to fly 1200 miles? I think a few years ago they were building market share and could afford to do so thanks to some excellent fuel hedging position. That isn't the case anymore, so prices are higher. I don't think $300 RT is "high"...it's just higher than what we've become accustomed to paying in some markets.

I guess you are right ... I just wasn't prepared for the fare to double from what i'm used to.

That being said, I decided to check some other airlines and found that Air Tran has the same flight and time as I need for $80, even with a checked bag i'm looking at $100 total ! weird because Southwest bought them :rotfl:
I've never flown AT before but I guess I might give them a try

In this area they generally outprice Airtran (soon to merge with SWA) and JetBlue and sometimes United or US Airways, I don't check bags on short trips so that doesn't interest me. I am flying SWA back east from California though. I have one Orlando flight on SWA but that is only because I had $70 in credit. The flight was still nearly twice as much as a comparable flight on JetBlue (on the same booking date, JetBlue has gone up since)

Why do the different prices bother you? Obviously there are not 4 seats still available at the lower price.

SWA is not the only airline. Lots of other airlines often have lower prices with better service. Try one of them.

The reason this bothers me is;
1, you need to check in 24 hours in advance to get A or a B boarding group.
2, 4 Check-Ins not 1
3, We can get separated during boarding.
4, Why should Southwest penalize me for being a family of 4 with higher fairs
5, Rewarding a single flyer.

From Providence there are not other lower priced airlines. As far as service none are better than Southwest. Several non stop flights to Orlando daily, first flight out in the morning and last flights out of Orlando to Providence. No fee for changing flights and if your new flight is less expensive you get a credit. Check 2 bag at no additional charge. As I said I love Southwest but ff a long time ago I hadn't made a mistake while booking I never would have known they were changing me more as a family of 4.

I would book your fares at the rate you can and then if the price comes down you will be able to get a credit. Unfortunately there are
only so many seats at the lower fare and once they are gone that is it. You could always do the early check-in so that you might
all be closer for boarding.

4, Why should Southwest penalize me for being a family of 4 with higher fairs
5, Rewarding a single flyer.

Not sure why you see this in terms of penalties and rewards. If at the time you are booking they don't have four seats at the lower price, they're not trying to punish you because you're trying to book for four people. That's just the way it is. It's like if you were trying to buy four shirts on sale and they only have two left.

I remember flying STL to Chicago RT for $38 one time. Spent more than twice that on 4 cab rides in Chicago while we were there :lmao:

We booked AT because of the goofy high price of SWA out of MDW for our August trip...LEAVING ON A TUESDAY.

Our problem is out home flight on Saturday 8-25. $155-$173.

We still havent booked it. Hoping and waiting it comes down. Also, I thought SWA had a 10 year supply of jet fuel so their prices would stay low.?

I cant remember the last time I saw a "ding" from MDW to MCO...at least 3 years.

Now i see why people drive.

I guess you are right ... I just wasn't prepared for the fare to double from what i'm used to.

That being said, I decided to check some other airlines and found that Air Tran has the same flight and time as I need for $80, even with a checked bag i'm looking at $100 total ! weird because Southwest bought them :rotfl:
I've never flown AT before but I guess I might give them a try

We've traveled with AirTran and really liked them.:)

I hear you OP. I fly out of Milwaukee. I've paid around $200 for my round trip fare in the past. Is $300 the current best rate?

Not sure why you see this in terms of penalties and rewards. If at the time you are booking they don't have four seats at the lower price, they're not trying to punish you because you're trying to book for four people. That's just the way it is. It's like if you were trying to buy four shirts on sale and they only have two left.

I guess I'm not quite making my point. I will try one more time

4 seats Pvd to Mco @ $ 155.00 = $ 620.00

Same flight same day same time

2 seats Pvd to Mco @ $ 135.00 = $ 270.00
Total 4 seats PVD to MCO $ 540.00

4 Seats PVD to MCO Same Confirmation # = $ 620.00
4 Seats PVD to MCO 2 Confirmation #'s = $ 540.00
Penalty for booking 4 seats at once = $ 80.00

I still get my 4 seats on the same flight but I have two confirmation numbers. This usually means we are separated during boarding. It's not a reason for me not to fly Southwest but it is a hassle. I promise I won't try to explain this again.

I still get my 4 seats on the same flight but I have two confirmation numbers. This usually means we are separated during boarding. It's not a reason for me not to fly Southwest but it is a hassle. I promise I won't try to explain this again.

If you book two seats at $135 they will no longer show any sets left at $135. You are not seing this because you did not book the two seats. Once they sell the last two seat at $135 they will not have any of that inventory left.

This whole 'how many seats at a low price' issue is where people get confused.
If you try to book 4 seats for a specific flight on SW (for instance), and you find that the cost is $150 pp, and then go and check to see what the cost would be for one person, or two?? And it comes to $100 pp, that's because there are only so many seats available at that $100 price. If you put in three, it may be doable, it may not. So....book as many as you're able to for the lower price. Then book the rest for the higher amount. No one is penalizing anyone for having a larger family....but they are penalizing you for waiting before booking. If you had booked earlier, you would most likely have been able to get all four seats for the lower rate.
Yes, you will have two reservation numbers. And yes, you will end up split up when it comes to boarding group..but not by much. The first two on the plane can save seats...all of you won't be in one row in any case..it's only 3 and 3.

There are only x number of seats available in each price range. Once those seats are gone, they're gone. You have to pay a higher fare.

Bless your heart, you don't have to; the poster to whom you responded and the rest of us understand your complaint. You don't appear to understand it's not discrimination against the party (not family, given that no airline requests information relating to the relationship of multiple ticket purchasers), nor providing preferential pricing to solo travelers.

Southwest passengers who wish to increase the likelihood of their entire party sitting together, or close, have a couple of options: purchase ECBI in one or both directions; check in one's party oneself, with two browser windows open, and alternate between windows for each step.

Bless your heart, you don't have to; the poster to whom you responded and the rest of us understand your complaint. You don't appear to understand it's not discrimination against the party (not family, given that no airline requests information relating to the relationship of multiple ticket purchasers), nor providing preferential pricing to solo travelers.

Southwest passengers who wish to increase the likelihood of their entire party sitting together, or close, have a couple of options: purchase ECBI in one or both directions; check in one's party oneself, with two browser windows open, and alternate between windows for each step.

Thanks for the tip. I always open 2 tabs when confirming when I have 2 confirmations. I've also do that when I'm booking and have bought 4 tickets at the lower price multiple times. So buying the last two cheaper seats doesn't fly with me. The example I did was what I just paid for my family this July. I saved $ 80.00 doing it this way and was only trying to help others. I just couldn't get by point across.

Thanks for the tip. I always open 2 tabs when confirming when I have 2 confirmations. I've also do that when I'm booking and have bought 4 tickets at the lower price multiple times. So buying the last two cheaper seats doesn't fly with me. The example I did was what I just paid for my family this July. I saved $ 80.00 doing it this way and was only trying to help others. I just couldn't get by point across.
You got your point across; we're disagreeing with your misperception that Southwest (every airline) discriminates against multiple-passenger parties [families] and 'rewards' solo [single] fliers.

We bought our summer flight out of Midway right when the fares opened - they were about $125. A few weeks later, they went down to $113 and then all of a sudden they went up to $155! I do know that as the dates get closer they will lower fares for flights that are not full, but I understand the stress of watching and waiting!

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter