What is the 'unit' in the documents

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
I was reading thru the AKV ownership thread, and a lot of people have different 'units' along w/the use year. We just bought at AKV, and just curious what the unit is? Ours is 56 but not sure what that means.

That is your deeded ownership unit. To sell you something and put a deed on it, DVC has to quantify what they are deeding to you. In a weekly timeshare, that would be unit X during week X every year. DVC describes unit X on your deed but not week X because DVC is a floating timeshare system.

I was reading thru the AKV ownership thread, and a lot of people have different 'units' along w/the use year. We just bought at AKV, and just curious what the unit is? Ours is 56 but not sure what that means.

FYI - You can find your unit on the map below (it's a concierge room).

http://i235.*************************************AKV_Units.gif

Are there similar maps to the one Mike listed above for units at the other DVC resorts?

For what it means: from a legal viewpoint, a lot; from the viewpoint of how you use DVC, nothing.

A unit is usually a group of rooms. Each unit has its own use year month. When you buy you receive a percentage ownership interest in a particular unit in the resort along with percentage ownership interest in the common elements of the resort (pools, hallways, lobbies, front area, all the treees, etc.). That is actually what you own from a legal viewpoint. You don't own points per se because, and this may amaze many, they have absolutely no value from a legal standpoint. It is so deemed in your documents.

However, points are designated as "symbols" that represent your valuable ownership interest in the resort which is the real estate interest you have in that unit. So the process is to use points to reserve "vacation homes," which is another term in the documents. "Vacation home" is what everyone thinks of when they think of a room, a studio, a 1BR, etc. You never have to stay in your unit and it is mere happenstance that you ever do; you can stay in any of the rooms (vacation homes) in the resort.

In other words, for using DVC, points and rooms are what you will always be concerned with. But what you actually own is a small percentage of a unit.

Are there similar maps to the one Mike listed above for units at the other DVC resorts?
I haven't seen one for any of the other resorts. I created that map from information that Disney files with the county each time they declare new units into the condominium. I wanted to track the pace of sales of Jambo House. In particular, I wanted to know when the Concierge units were declared so that I would have some idea when they would be available for booking! I imagine Disney filed information with a similar level of detail for the other resorts as they were building them, though I don't know if all of the information is available online as it was for Jambo House.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter