What is the obsession with the pools?

the pools are small, crowded, and gross....However, I can see the appeal for folks cruising who live in cold states like Michigan...

Hi, we just got off of the Magic. Awesome!! Not having a young child that went in the pools this time, here are some other thoughts.

Kids love water.

The best time is right when you board and about 5 or so because most families are getting ready for the early seating. Try to switch off with someone in your group to get yourself ready. If you have a number of kids, make a deal that someone gets out first this time, and then rotate it each time.

When a pool gets closed for cleaning-and it will, have a backup plan and discuss it with the kids ahead of time. Maybe this is a good time to rest or get a quick snack. There was one parent who was furious over this. However, I really don't think you would want to swim with vomit in the pool.

Always plan ahead with kids and make them aware of Plan B,C or whichever.

Personally, we stayed by the adult pool alot since ds-13 was at the stack all the time. We had a great time chatting with others. It was really fun when it became a wave pool.

Lorie

We, too, are just back (hey, Musicgirl!), we, too, have a swimming pool in our backyard, and our eight year old daughter STAYED in the Mickey pool during the daytime on our 7 day cruise. Actually, she used the slide more than staying in the pool itself. As others have stated, kids, water, pool, other kids to interact with-it certaintly made the cruise for her, and we simply found chairs in the shade or sun, depending on our mood of the moment. I liken it to our enjoyment of adult conversation at the dinner table.

Originally posted by chinamom3
We, too, are just back (hey, Musicgirl!), we, too, have a swimming pool in our backyard, and our eight year old daughter STAYED in the Mickey pool during the daytime on our 7 day cruise. Actually, she used the slide more than staying in the pool itself. As others have stated, kids, water, pool, other kids to interact with-it certaintly made the cruise for her, and we simply found chairs in the shade or sun, depending on our mood of the moment. I liken it to our enjoyment of adult conversation at the dinner table.

Yep ::yes::

That's exactly how it went with is.

I personally agree with the posters here that the pools are nothing to get excited about, but my kids (DD10, DS6) are a different story. ANY type of swimming--whether in fancy pool or just a large bucket--seems to hold endless fascination.

Same here... doesn't matter how small or shallow the pool is- my children love being in a pool/water. (My children are ages 10 and under)

The person that said kids love water was right on the money! LOL Even a baby/toddler pool is enough to keep my kids having a blast for hours. :)

Hey, why didn't anyone mention DCL pools are filtered non-salt water. I love the pools. My son loves the Mickey pool, the water squirter from the floor and the Goofy pool. I love to watch him play. He LOVES water. When I get too over heated, I can pop in and cool off and then grab my chair and book and we're good to go. I wish there were a Mickey slide for me. :( Just sounds like some people are too jaded in their lives to enjoy the small, free privilidges like bobbing up and down in the water. Are you also the no-splashing folks? Just kidding.
Kim

Originally posted by kshabare
I wish there were a Mickey slide for me. :( Kim

I do too! I wish they would set aside a time so that we BIG kids could go down the Mickey Slide just once! JUST ONCE I would like to do that!

Now that I have free soda/pop onboard, I guess I will start writing this on my comment card! Time for grown ups to go down the Mickey Slide! :sunny:

DJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter