What is the average price of an 8 night stay?

Mynamewastaken

DIS Veteran
Trying to figure out what an avarage family spends on a hotel in Disney for 8 nights?

Part B: We were spolied with the discount. I am trying to figure out what we would have spent for 8 nights moderate at POR royal rooms without spring discount to see if bumping up to deluxe with the discount would be around what we would have spent no discount. Does that make sense? I am trying to argue a longer deluxe stay with the hubby and want to show him (if it pans out) that staying Deluxe with the discount would have been around the same as what we would have paid for moderate without spring discount. Does that make sense?

Sorry, but I don't think the cost argument is going to pan out for you. I've tried and tried with an 8 day trip during our spring break, which mostly still occurs during the spring discount window. The difference for our window is something like $1,500 more for the very cheapest deluxe I could find, lowest room category, etc. versus a moderate resort and room category (that cost more than other categories and moderate resorts). I found discounts for moderate and deluxe resorts. While the discount % is slightly more for deluxe resorts, it doesn't even come close to making them cost as little as a moderate, with or without a discount on the mod. The discounts with that spring offer seem to be no better than 50-60% of the percentages they have been in the past. For that reason, we had to rule out the spring break trip, because even staying at a moderate just didn't have enough of a discount for us.

Trying to figure out what an avarage family spends on a hotel in Disney for 8 nights?

Part B: We were spolied with the discount. I am trying to figure out what we would have spent for 8 nights moderate at POR royal rooms without spring discount to see if bumping up to deluxe with the discount would be around what we would have spent no discount. Does that make sense? I am trying to argue a longer deluxe stay with the hubby and want to show him (if it pans out) that staying Deluxe with the discount would have been around the same as what we would have paid for moderate without spring discount. Does that make sense?

There is no way to make the cost comparable. If there was actually no discounts on the mods the difference would be less, but Disney always offers discounts so the difference between a moderate and deluxe would be substantial. I don't think there is an average that any family pays. It really depends on resort type and room type at that resort. If you want to stay deluxe and can afford it I would just do it, and not worry about the difference in cost.

Have you considered renting DVC points? If you do that though you aren't eligible for package deals, but the rental price is the total cost - no hotel room taxes etc. It may be enough of a difference to make it feasible.

Why don't you just price your trip at a Moderate without a discount and Deluxe with one yourself?

(all during regular season)
For our 7 night stay at POFQ without a discount, we would have spent around $1600 for a standard room.
With a discount it's a little over $1100 (35% AFS discount).
The Wilderness Lodge would have been closer to $1900 for a Woods View room, as all the Standard View rooms were sold out by the time we booked (40% AFS discount).

So even if I had convinced myself or DH that we should compare rack rate at POFQ to a discounted rate at the Wilderness Lodge, we'd still be spending an extra $300.
I could inflate the costs of the moderate at rack rate by choosing the most expensive room category, but it wouldn't really save me any money.
In reality we'd be paying $800 more than what it would cost for the vacation we would be happy with.

BTW....if we had been trying to stay in the most expensive room at POR (Royal River View) at rack rate our price would have been around $2100, so theoretically, we could have gotten an extra night at the Wilderness Lodge IF $2100 was our lodging budget. Was that the question you were trying to ask?

Average is very subjective. Most people want to believe they're average. In reality most people are not average.

We are paying $5602 for our Poly CL Lagoon View room for 8 nights with the military discount and regular dining plan. Tickets are not included in this price. Before we had club level added, it was $4760 for Poly Theme Park view. We decided we wanted a refurbished room, which is why we went with club. I'm not sure how that helps your argument as there are cheaper deluxe options, but those are my costs.

Good luck!

We are paying $5602 for our Poly CL Lagoon View room for 8 nights with the military discount and regular dining plan. Tickets are not included in this price. Before we had club level added, it was $4760 for Poly Theme Park view. We decided we wanted a refurbished room, which is why we went with club. I'm not sure how that helps your argument as there are cheaper deluxe options, but those are my costs.

Good luck!

How did you get a dining plan but no tickets? I thought you had to buy at least 1 day of tickets to get a package? :confused3

I don't blame you for wanting to stay Deluxe--it is our preference as well. But the truth is, that moderates are the best value bar none. I wish there was not such a big jump in price between the two. During your dates of travel, POR royal rooms are discounted for $1550. Even if it were not discounted the rack is about $2000.00. The lowest price deluxe with a discount during that time is AK and it is more than the Rack at POR Royal. The difference with the discount between AK and POR is $700.00. Best of luck in deciding on your vacation stay!:goodvibes

((Rate x # of nights) - any discount) + tax
easy math :goodvibes

Mynamewastaken said:
I am trying to argue a longer deluxe stay with the hubby and want to show him (if it pans out) that staying Deluxe with the discount would have been around the same as what we would have paid for moderate without spring discount.

A regular season weekday at POR Royal room is $220. A regular season weekday room at the Poly is $485. Factor in the fact that the monorail resorts' spring discount is only 20%, versus the moderates 25%, and there is no way you can argue a discounted deluxe ($388 ) is comparable to non-discounted moderate ($220.) It is still much more expensive to stay in the deluxe. I have never seen a 50% off pin! ;-) And that $220 moderate is really only $165, no matter how much you try to pretend it isn't.

You could do the math on a cheaper deluxe like AK or WL. We have a family of five, so I have not priced them out. And the Epcot resorts have a 30% discount, so would be a little cheaper. You might find an example where the difference is less than $100 a night, but you won't find one where it's only $20.

Maybe you should argue amenities. :-) Good luck!

We just switched from POR to AKL for $10 a night difference. Our stay is only 6 nights.

You could look into renting DVC points. I'm planning on doing it for our December trip. We are planning on 10 nights. 5 at boardwalk villas and 5 at wilderness lodge in studio rooms and it will be 1700 dollars. It is cheaper then the moderate I priced. I'm paying 13 a point so if you rented points for less it would be even cheaper.

There is no real way to "show" that it is cheaper to stay at a Deluxe resort.

The best you can do is price out the resort where you really want to stay and then decide if the price premium is acceptable to you (and your hubby). Some people are more price sensitive than others and could never justify staying at a Deluxe.

But be warned, the Deluxes can be addictive, many people that try a Deluxe can never go back to Mods or Values. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter