What is a hot shoe?

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by Soupermom, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

My new Canon XS40 just arrived and it came with a "hot shoe cover" case. I think that has something to do with a flash that you attach, and I"m pretty sure I don't have one, but since they gave me a case, do I need one?????:confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. wdwmom2

wdwmom2 <font color=teal>It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorr

It's for an external flash. The hot shoe cover can be a booger to get off::yes::. I purchased a Canon Speedlite 430 EXII for my SX40. It works well!!!

4. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

So where would this cap be located on the camera exactly, should I ever need to know??

5. YesDear

YesDear <font color=red>Admired by the Tag Fairy for such

I loved your question!!!!

Yes the hot shoe on a camera is the place you will put a flash when and if you get one. The hot shoe has contacts on it that connect with the flash and transfers information back and forth to the between the camera and the flash.

Many newer cameras will come with a cover to protect the contacts. Whenever I get a new camera I take it off and leave it off.

Congrats on getting a new camera and just remember to keep taking pictures!

6. wdwmom2

wdwmom2 <font color=teal>It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorr

7. YesDear

YesDear <font color=red>Admired by the Tag Fairy for such

I loved your question!!!!

Yes the hot shoe on a camera is the place you will put a flash when and if you get one. The hot shoe has contacts on it that connect with the flash and transfers information back and forth to the between the camera and the flash.

Many newer cameras will come with a cover to protect the contacts. Whenever I get a new camera I take it off and leave it off.

Congrats on getting a new camera and just remember to keep taking pictures!

8. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your help! New battery died quickly and my back-up ones haven't arrived yet, so I now need to wait for the battery to recharge before I can play any more. :(