• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is a Good Side Dish for Crab Cakes?

KaraKW

<font color=blue>Baby Bird Correspondent<br><font
I'm don't eat seafood, so I'm not sure of what would "go" well with crab cakes. I'm making them for my DH who LOVES them! Thanks for any tips! :D

Kara :wave:

usually when I make crab cakes or samon pattties, I make some kind of rice and a salad that goes real well, I have even used some of the boxed rice. Or some nice fresh veggies.

Another vote for rice & salad. I'm not usually creative with the menu when we have seafood - because the seafood is the focal point of the meal, I guess. I have already made Stir-Fried Green Beans with crab, though . . . and I always make the same rice. Both are below.

Rice Pilaf
3 Tbl butter
1 Tbl garlic, minced
3/4 c rice, converted
2/3 c orzo
2 1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c slivered almonds
Melt butter on low; add garlic, salt, pepper & nuts. After 1 minute, add rice & orzo; stir until well-coated. Add broth, increase heat & bring to boil. Lower heat, cover & cook 25 minutes.

Most of the time I make these green beans without any meat at all.

Stir-Fried Green Beans

Combine in small bowl & set aside.
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbl soy sauce
1/2 c water or soup stock***

Heat in skillet:
2 Tbl oil
Add:
1/4 lb raw beef chuck, thinly sliced in bite-sized pieces***
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c onion, diced

Stir-fry over high heat until beef begins to change color. Remove beef, onions & garlic from skillet & set aside. If needed, add more oil & reheat skillet.

Add:
1 lb green beans (Most of the year I just use the frozen whole beans.)

Stir until beans become bright green. Immediately add soy sauce mixture & cook, stirring until clear. Cover skillet & cook over medium heat until beans are just crisp-tender. Return beef to skillet, stir well & remove from heat. Serve immediately with rice.

***I usually just use 1 tsp powdered chicken bouillon & skip the beef.

Thanks so much!!! Those recipes sound great! :D :D :D

You could serve them up like the restuarants do, good old coleslaw and rolls or fries. Mmm I can smell them now, I love crab cakes.

I 2nd that vote.

Nothing like a good Maryland crab cake with cole slaw and fries.

chessie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter