What if I buy an AP now?

graceesmom

DIS Veteran
I'm booked using my free dining PIN (the same deal the general public has now). However, since this will be my 3rd trip in a year, I'm thinking I should just order an annual pass. It won't be activated until October when we go.

My question is whether I would be eligible for any AP room/dining discounts on this trip since my AP will not be activated. I don't know that the current AP discounts are any better than the free dining offer, but I thought I should at least check into it if I would be eligbile.

Someone with more knowledge on the subject is sure to answer, however my understanding is that you cannot combine the AP and free dining discount. You would have to see which deal was better: the AP rate (which, if memory serves, is anywhere from 30-40% of rack rate) or free dining (based, of course, on how many adults & children, and which level you would select, ie QS, Basic or Deluxe DP).

You also would need to see if the AP rate was even available at the resort of your choice. Many have posted limited availability at the reduced rate, since it appears only a certain number of rooms can be booked for the various discounts as they are released. To give you an idea, there are some "sample" AP rates listed on the mousesavers website, or you may be able to call Disney and ask what the AP rate would be and if there was availability.

Of course, you would be able to use the AP for future stays and since this would be trip #3 for you this year, sounds like you may want to take the dive. You will be able to upgrade your park ticket purchased with your Free Dining package to an AP as long as you do it during your next stay (there is a very informative sticky on tickets, upgrading/exchanging and such in the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies forum).

Hope this helps...have fun in the World!:woohoo:

PKWallaby is correct. Stick with your free dining if that's what you FEEL is best for your family. We have AP's and would rather get a discount on the room than get free dining.

I live by the following words "Free dining isn't really free!" Been there too many times and for my family of 3 we do better than getting our dining for free. Plus during those events it gets so busy that we would have a miserable time with the massive amount of people visiting due to the promotion and having to deal with crowded restaurants. Blah!:sick:

With my AP I'm getting $64.00 a night at ASMo for our stay in 3 weeks. In December, I'm getting AKL for $129.00 a night so you do the math and see if paying rack rate and getting meals for free (don't forget you need to purchase a 1 day ticket too) is worth it to you and your family.

I'm booked using my free dining PIN (the same deal the general public has now). However, since this will be my 3rd trip in a year, I'm thinking I should just order an annual pass. It won't be activated until October when we go.

My question is whether I would be eligible for any AP room/dining discounts on this trip since my AP will not be activated. I don't know that the current AP discounts are any better than the free dining offer, but I thought I should at least check into it if I would be eligbile.

To answer your specific question: You do not need to have an active AP to book a room with an AP rate. You do not even need an AP voucher to book a room with an AP rate. You simply need the AP at check-in according to the rules, but if you don't have it and you are asked for it, you generally have 24 hours to produce it and keep the AP rate.

You need at least a voucher to access the AP website, however. But if you post a specific question (e.g., "What is the AP room only rate for WL from 8/1-8/10?") generally a nice AP holder on this site will check for you.

I've found that the AP room only discounts are a better deal for us than Free Dining; we'd come out better by buying the DP if we wanted. We also are not fans of the restrictions on the dining plan, so with the Tables in Wonderland card, we get a better deal. The TiW card is available only to AP holders & Fl. residents.

Remember that you can also upgrade any unused MYW tickets to an AP at current gate prices. I got my AP by buying tickets last year at a discount from Undercover Tourist before the rates went up, then using them once and upgrading at MK Guest Relations. I also bought my TiW at the same time, and I was all set!

[QUOTRemember that you can also upgrade any unused MYW tickets to an AP at current gate prices. I got my AP by buying tickets last year at a discount from Undercover Tourist before the rates went up, then using them once and upgrading at MK Guest Relations. I also bought my TiW at the same time, and I was all set!
E][/QUOTE]

I have some MYW tickets that have days left over and I think one that was never used. Unfortunately I can't tell what the tickets have left until I check in and .

I have two rooms booked under AP and they seem to want one AP holder in each room so I need two APs. I was going to buy one now and try to upgrade one of the others when I get there. Maybe I should upgrade two used tix ro APs when I get there but afraid I might lose AP rate...

Does it matter if it's beyond 14 days from 1st use to upgrade old tix? I added the no expiration option on all of them. Which would make sense to use for AP conversion, those with one day left, two days, or more? Beside the two APs I need at least two new MYW tix.

I have some MYW tickets that have days left over and I think one that was never used. Unfortunately I can't tell what the tickets have left until I check in and .

I have two rooms booked under AP and they seem to want one AP holder in each room so I need two APs. I was going to buy one now and try to upgrade one of the others when I get there. Maybe I should upgrade two used tix ro APs when I get there but afraid I might lose AP rate...

Does it matter if it's beyond 14 days from 1st use to upgrade old tix? I added the no expiration option on all of them. Which would make sense to use for AP conversion, those with one day left, two days, or more? Beside the two APs I need at least two new MYW tix.
Yes, it matters. Even with the non-expiring tickets, you can only upgrade within 14 days of first use. So you could upgrade the unused one, but not the others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter