What happens if Luau is rained out?

LJD2143

DIS Veteran & DVC Member
We are set to arrive on Saturday for a 7-night stay at the Poly and have a reservation for the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show on Sept 27th. From the forecasts I have seen, it looks like potential rain and/or storms throughout all of next week. Does the Luau get cancelled due to rain? And if so, what is the refund policy?

Here's my dilemma - We are on the Dining Plan and the Luau takes up 2 TS credits. If those credits end up being added back to our account, my fear is that we will be unable to use them! From everything I've read and my own conversations with Disney Dining, most (if not all) table service restaurants are TOTALLY BOOKED next week.

On a different post, I read the Luau is not cancelled due to rain ... so keeping my fingers crossed for you. I wondered what they would do also ... there you are, hungry and no place to eat???

Good luck and some pixie dust for you. :pixiedust: Thought this would bump it back to the top and maybe someone with experience would know.

Never been when it rained so I can't speak to that but the area where the food is served is under a large roofed area open to all sides but the back where the food is prepared. I suppose they could cancel the show but continue with the food but maybe others can tell you more...smjj

The last time DW and I went to the luau, it also rained quite a storm, but the show went on. The dancers kinda readjusted where and how they danced, but the show did go on.

As for restaurants being totally booked, I'm not sure that not being able to get a priority seating means the restaurant is totally booked. Just last week when we were there, we ate twice at 'Ohana without have a priority seating. The only thing is we had to wait maybe an hour and a half or so before we got seated, but we did get seated.

There has only been one restaurant where I have always been told "Sorry, we're full" and that restaurant no longer exists - Alfredo's. Although I enjoyed their food, they were sure the worst sticklers.

Good luck...and make sure you get the drink served in the coconut...I forgot the name.pirate:

They told me, when I made my reservations, that it was possible that the show got cancelled due to weather. They said I wouldn't be charged then, but we are paying OOP. Our "backup" plan is to go to Epcot and snack around the world (F&WF).
Of course, this is no help to you, because of DP.

Why don't you call Disney, and ask them for sure? They were able to find tables for the Teppanyaki-people, maybe they have a backup solution for Luau-people?

We have seen the Luau cancelled for bad weather in the past. Since Kona generally doesn't have a wait, I figure they would try to get people to eat there if they need to.

It was a terrible lightening and rain storm for the early show. I was walking near the Luau entrance on my way to Captain Cook's when the crowd was sent out. Kona Cafe is often fully booked now with Dining Plan people and that was the case on this night. There weren't any sit-down places for these people to eat. What I saw was Luau people milling about and looking in shops before they left on the momorail. Of course, this was just my one experience and I wasn't actually attending the Luau. Susan

When we stayed at Poly we saw the Luau canceled many nights due to weather, but not rain, temperature, it was freezing! I don't think you'll have that problem, being that you're going in Sept. On the nights it was canceled the performers did their performances for everyone in the lounge next to Ohana. (minus the fire dancer) Don't know what they did about everyone's dinner though. I think you'd be on your own. You may want to book a back-up, if they'll let you.

It rained the night we saw it. The don't cancel.

The stage and all the seating areas are under cover. Only a portion of the stage is open to the sky....and they just didn't use that part (except for the dancer with the fire).

We were there in 2005 and had our luau canceled. It kind of sucked, we ended up going to DTD and eating at W.P. Express (I was unimpressed)

1) The luau does get canceled for weather.
2) Mainly for cold or wind, but also for some rain.
3) The tickets are automatically refunded - cash, credit or DDP
4) However, they DO NOT make other dinner plans for you.

NOTE: If it is a last minute cancellation, they already have the bulk of the food prepared. With this scenario, they will ask if you want to stay and eat without the show, at a reduced price. But, other than that, you are on your own for trying to eat somewhere.

Well, when we were there two Septembers ago, it was pouring. The stage was soaked and the hut began falling, so all the dancers and MC had to move into where the guests eat.

Servers everywhere began squeezing all the guests even closer together, putting tables together so that they could hopefully attempt to do their show in a smaller, cordoned-off area where the customers actually eat.

A few of the dancers even helped gobble down some food to clear a table.

Everything was going fine until the fire dancer came out. The fire on his stick caught something at one of the tables on fire, and before we knew it, part of the roof was aflame. It was unreal.

Just kidding. We've been when it's really raining hard and the show does go on. Keep in mind there's a waiting area where they make everyone wait, and that is outdoors and not covered. If it's raining at that point, you will get wet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter