What happens if invest 97 becomes a hurricane? We sail Saturday!

ShelleyLynn

Mouseketeer
So, for any of you that have cruised during hurricane season, what should we expect to happen if this storm is churning around the Gulf of Mexico early next week? We sail Saturday on a western itinerary. Would they switch us to an eastern if the storm is going to stay in the gulf then head to the US? I would be happy if we had extra sea days as long as we sailed in sunshine! What is most likely scenario?

So, for any of you that have cruised during hurricane season, what should we expect to happen if this storm is churning around the Gulf of Mexico early next week? We sail Saturday on a western itinerary. Would they switch us to an eastern if the storm is going to stay in the gulf then head to the US? I would be happy if we had extra sea days as long as we sailed in sunshine! What is most likely scenario?
Well, if you cruise during hurricane season, you've got to expect hurricanes. But, not to worry, the captain will maneuver the ship out of harm's way to the best of his ability.

They could change the itinerary totally, or just switch when the port stops are on the current itinerary. Or they could have no issue causing any changes.

By next week that storm could be dead.

No way of knowing anything right now.

Bring your flexibility with you. In the past a Western itinerary has been changed to an Eastern itinerary but there have also been situations where they just changed a port or added a sea day instead of a port. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the potential storm. Just look forward to the cruise with a spirit of adventure. You'll have fun and be safe regardless of what Invest 97 does or doesn't do.

It looks like there will be no impact to the departure from Port Canaveral so if there is any impact there will be changes to the itinerary. We are on this cruise and have sailed into hurricanes on DCL before, and my observation would be that you are much better off with Disney than with most other lines. DCL completely flipped a southern Caribbean we were on during a hurricane a couple of years ago and we made every port (in different order), while Carnival passengers we spoke with reported being subjected to sea days in lieu of every port on the same itinerary.

As others have said, bring your seasickness medication. Even if the storm has left the area, it can cause waves for quite a distance/time period. Hurricane Hermine passed through FL on Fri morning. We sailed out of PC to Nassau on Monday (Labor Day) and we felt the waves until about 10 p.m. At that point Hermine was already up the Atlantic coast headed towards the New England area.

I would love to cruise in rough weather. Having done a deployment on an aircraft carrier I enjoy the ship moving around! I sleep better that way :P

As others have said any number of possible outcomes: - change in port order, missed ports, or total change in itinerary after departure. DCL will still provide a magical vacation!! I was in a cruise last year where we had to skip Nassau due to a storm - lots of fun sea day activities in its place

We were on the Fantasy cruise a year ago that was affected by Joaquin. We had to dodge the storm and spent an extra day at sea. CC day was canceled as a result. We arrived in port late, and getting off the ship was a mess. All were safe, and no casualties. The captain and crew were outstanding. Even missing the big part of the storm meant 60 mph winds and 25' seas. Quite a ride!

I would love to cruise in rough weather. Having done a deployment on an aircraft carrier I enjoy the ship moving around! I sleep better that way :P
Me, too! About WANTING to sail in big seas. My dad was USN 24 yrs...his tales of the North Atlantic....I want THAT! I'd pay extra for it, actually. Someday I'm going to cruise down around the Horn. I'm ready!

Me, too! About WANTING to sail in big seas. My dad was USN 24 yrs...his tales of the North Atlantic....I want THAT! I'd pay extra for it, actually. Someday I'm going to cruise down around the Horn. I'm ready!

We didn't want to sail in rough seas but are happy we were on the cruise that skirted hurricane Joaquin. Found out we have no issues with seasickness and we were not at all concerned for our safety. Now we have no qualms sailing anywhere at anytime. It was an experience, quite fun actually.

Martin

Hopefully, you will have fair winds and following seas.

Looks like the cruise starting Saturday is a good time to be on a WESTERN itinerary. Matthew doesn't look like it will affect Port Canaveral or Key West till later next week and will be out of the way before you're back at CC. Have fun.

Happened to us once on Magic due to Hurricane Dave. St. Thomas harbormaster closed the port to all inbound traffic, so we went from an Eastern to a Western. On the plus side, we couldn't get a berth in Key West so we did CC instead on the first day, and then again on the last day. Captain also sailed as close to Cuba as he could so we could clearly see Havana from the port side of the ship. Downside - there were 11 other ships in Cozumel the day we docked there.

How many ships can cozumel hold and how crowded were the excursions?
At that time, they could dock five between the International Pier and the downtown pier, and the other seven were anchored out in the harbor. Conservatively, it was a zoo trying to get excursions, so we just walked the town and did some shopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter