What Happens at the Beach Club... Travels with Teens, Take Two, (PTR) 4/6 p. 29

Hi. I'm going to try to read through when I can. I don't know when I'll ever catch up though, because clearly I'm way behind.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading about it though, because Beach Club, right now, is at the top of the list of resorts I've never stayed at, but want to! I've kind of been putting it off until the kids are a little older so we can really take full advantage of Stormalong Bay, but it just seems like a really great location and a fun resort.

The blizzard wasn't any worse than what we've had. We never lost power which is what I was most worried about. And my DH wasn't in FL!!! Every time it snowed last year me and DS were snow blowing...NOT fun! It was nice to have him home.
I'm home from school again today!!! :(. My boys went back today.
I teach in an urban district and lots of kids walk to school. I guess they're having trouble doing all the cleanup. I hope I go back tomorrow. At this rate we'll be in school til almost July again.

I can't believe they are calling for MORE SNOW over the weekend and into early next week. I'm glad you had help with the blizzard cleanup. My boys are now scheduled to go to school until June 27. If we get more than 2 more snow days, they will have to start using vacation days or going to school on Saturdays because the teacher contacts only go until June 30.

:cold:

Just because I've been away from the DISboards for over 2 months due to family health issues, doesn't mean you have to wrap your TR up when I show back up! :lmao: I have spent the last couple of hours getting caught up and as usual enjoyed your TR immensely. I'm glad y'all had such a great DISmeet. I would add it to my bucket list of times to visit WDW but I'm going to have to retire and move to FL in order to do all the things I have on my list now! I finally got to meet Teena during our October, 2014 trip (TR finally started...see link below) and DW and I really enjoyed chatting with her. So glad you got to eat at Kouzzina's. We ate there twice during our June, 2014 trip knowing it would be closing soon and really enjoyed it. So sad to see it close. I really enjoyed this TR and I am looking forward to your next one to the park that must not be named!

Sorry!!! I hope that your dad is continuing to recover.

Considering this was just a 2 day trip, I think that it was time to wrap it up after 4 months and 33 chapters!!!

I was so excited to hear you were able to meet Teena and she said she enjoyed your visit. Thank you for the sneak peak "upstairs"

Loved Kouzzina- my meals at dinner and breakfast were both excellent. *sigh*

Thanks for reading along, and I'll save you a spot in the upcoming Dark Side ride.

:goodvibes:

2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am green. And just realizing how close our trips are to almost overlapping....except I won't be going to the the park(s) I am happy to name and I think you'll be back before I land.

I love Jake's, can't recall if you guys have eaten there before or not and if you hit up The Kitchen...the friend chicken and waffles are the bomb! Their breakfast looks pretty good but I can't see you guys missing parks for a sit down breakfast!

I will say, skip breakfast at The Three Broomsticks, ours was horrid last year. Which was sad as we did like it the year prior. Go figure.

I think I will be literally passing MEK in the airport. Just missing a few of my DIS friends on the way to their races!

I'll check into Jakes and The Kitchen. I have learned that I need to follow your dining recommendations!!! I'm always sorry when I don't. Yes, we should be all set for breakfast. Have you had lunch at Three Broomsticks or just breakfast? We have had decent meals at lunchtime.

:wizard:

Yikes! I was further behind than I thought! Sorry Dee!

Hehehe Mildest Ride in the Wilderness. I totally love that ride, also puts a smile on my face!

Cool timing in the Mine Train line, so glad you got to ride together!

Wooowwwww... close call with the People Mover! Good thing you got on!

Great pics from MK that last day!

Time for a swim!! Love that pool, some day I'm going to try it myself.

Booooo time to go home. That girl behind you sounds really... pleasant.

Hahaha love that Ben hid the candy on you, too funny.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us Dee!!

I can't wait to hear all about the next class trip, and the trip to the Theme Park Which Must Not Be Named!

DIS meets are always fun, surprise DIS encounters are a special treat and getting to ride with friends unexpectedly is AWESOME!!!

:cool1:

I really liked being on my own, nobody to please but myself, taking my time taking pictures and riding what I wanted. I know that sounds good to you!!!

My flight home definitely had its moments and walking back through the door at home, even though there was nothing to initially greet me except for an empty candy bowl, was a treat.

I'm looking forward to my upcoming trips!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

You must be getting sooo excited to get warm in just 2 weeks! We have had a total of 30 inches of snow in the last week in my area of RI and I am all set!

We leave 4 weeks from tomorrow to go to WDW with 140 HS Band and Chorus kids and just the thought of warm sun is keeping me sane!

Hope you enjoyed the Superbowl!!!

UGH on all this snow!!! And more over the weekend- starting Saturday and not ending until Tuesday. :scared1: I'll be hibernating if anyone needs me.

Good luck with your band trip. Are you staying onsite or off? Have you been a chaperone on a Disney trip before?

Wow! What a game! We are still in shock and Mark keeps rewatching the game when it is broadcast on NFL channel. I was so exhausted after the 2 weekend run of Spamalot. I tried to snooze for a bit during half-time. It was certainly a rollercoaster of emotions all through the game.

:cheer2:

Hi. I'm going to try to read through when I can. I don't know when I'll ever catch up though, because clearly I'm way behind.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading about it though, because Beach Club, right now, is at the top of the list of resorts I've never stayed at, but want to! I've kind of been putting it off until the kids are a little older so we can really take full advantage of Stormalong Bay, but it just seems like a really great location and a fun resort.

:welcome: Andy!

Good to have you along, but don't worry about catching up.

I think it is wise to wait until the kids are a little older for a trip to the Beach Club to fully enjoy Stormalong Bay. When it is time for you to go, let me know if I can help in anyway. I have been managing the FAQ board for the resort for the past 5 years, and I can attest that it is a great resource for info!

:cool1:

I think I will be literally passing MEK in the airport. Just missing a few of my DIS friends on the way to their races!

I'll check into Jakes and The Kitchen. I have learned that I need to follow your dining recommendations!!! I'm always sorry when I don't. Yes, we should be all set for breakfast. Have you had lunch at Three Broomsticks or just breakfast? We have had decent meals at lunchtime.

:wizard:

:rotfl2: that's funny on the dining recommendations.

But hey, you FINALLY made it to margaritaville so that's good! Mythos is actually good I just think it's a bit overrated for what it is. We also had a really decent lunch at the pool bar (beach cafe I think?) at HRR.

We've been to Three Broomsticks twice for breakfast. The first time was good but the 2nd time was absolutely awful all around. Then again our vibe and mogo were really different both times so that certainly could have been a factor.

I can't believe they are calling for MORE SNOW over the weekend and into early next week. I'm glad you had help with the blizzard cleanup. My boys are now scheduled to go to school until June 27. If we get more than 2 more snow days, they will have to start using vacation days or going to school on Saturdays because the teacher contacts only go until June 30.

:cold:

Pretty much of the same here. I'm in school til June 26 right now. If schools cancelled Monday it'll be June 29. We've had to make up 6 days so far!! The teachers in my district had to fill out a survey last week for how they're going to make up the days. Feb. vacation, April vacation, Saturdays...... UGH!!!!!
Right now it's either Feb. vaca. Or praying for no more snow. I will be in FL for both Feb. and April. Fortunately teachers that have flights already booked are all set.
I'm sure your boys won't mind if they make it up over Feb. lol
I Can't wait to get away from all this snow and cold. I'm so sick of New England.
Have a great trip next week!! You're gonna love Diagon Alley!!
OT: My DS17 got accepted to Seminole State College. This school is his back up plan. He wants UCF ( University of Central FL), but all credits from SSC transfer there. :)

:rotfl2: that's funny on the dining recommendations.

But hey, you FINALLY made it to margaritaville so that's good! Mythos is actually good I just think it's a bit overrated for what it is. We also had a really decent lunch at the pool bar (beach cafe I think?) at HRR.

We've been to Three Broomsticks twice for breakfast. The first time was good but the 2nd time was absolutely awful all around. Then again our vibe and mogo were really different both times so that certainly could have been a factor.

Every time I read one of your dining reviews I think "Why didn't I eat there!!!"

Our meal at Margaritaville back in 2013 was ok, but I'm pretty sure we will give it another try. Cowfish, the new burger/sushi place intrigues me. They have some interesting Bento boxes that offer a selection of mini burgers, sushi, sweet potato fries and edamame. We would all love this.

Ever been to Islands, the Asian place at RPR? They have the "Wok Experience" an all you can eat stir fry with different protein and sauce options. Haven't seen a price for this, though. But the real sell for me is that one of their shared desserts is a Homemade donut filled with pineapple cream with coconut ice cream.

:yay:

Pretty much of the same here. I'm in school til June 26 right now. If schools cancelled Monday it'll be June 29. We've had to make up 6 days so far!! The teachers in my district had to fill out a survey last week for how they're going to make up the days. Feb. vacation, April vacation, Saturdays...... UGH!!!!!
Right now it's either Feb. vaca. Or praying for no more snow. I will be in FL for both Feb. and April. Fortunately teachers that have flights already booked are all set.
I'm sure your boys won't mind if they make it up over Feb. lol
I Can't wait to get away from all this snow and cold. I'm so sick of New England.
Have a great trip next week!! You're gonna love Diagon Alley!!
OT: My DS17 got accepted to Seminole State College. This school is his back up plan. He wants UCF ( University of Central FL), but all credits from SSC transfer there. :)

Congrats to your son!!! We have not started to seriously looking at colleges yet, but we need to do that soon.

I think Feb vacation is off the table, but Good Friday, April vacation and Saturdays are all possibilities if we have many more snow days. Nate says "Good Luck" getting him to school on Saturdays.

Mark tried to do one pass on the driveway this morning and his snowblower stopped working. He thinks some snow may have gotten onto the throttle. Hoping giving it a rest will get it working again. Otherwise we could be in trouble!!!

Hope you, and all my other friends in the northeast, stay safe and warm.

:daisy:

No real snow here yet. We got maybe 2 in. Last night.
Not supposed to get a lot til tonight. I hope it holds off so my DH can get out on his flight tonight....we'll see.
I'm sure there won't be school again tomorrow. I'm with Nate on Saturdays. I don't think that will fly with teachers either. I'd rather go back early than that.
One of the teachers in my building brought up a good point....my school is an extended day school we have an hour longer day than the others. Doesn't that already make up for so much. As far as I'm concerned we already made up all those days.
She was going to email the union president to ask about that. Can't wait to hear that response.
Stay safe! I really hope your snowblower works again.

I hope your husband was able to get out Dodge before the major snow started flying.

Mark was able to get the snowblower working again- Diagnosis: Out of Gas!

:lmao:

I hope your husband was able to get out Dodge before the major snow started flying.

Mark was able to get the snowblower working again- Diagnosis: Out of Gas!

:lmao:
He did get out thanks! Didn't start really snowing here until around 7:00.
I'm home AGAIN as is probably the whole state!! :(
Going until June 29 now. I hope we go back tomorrow.
Yeah gas is a necessity LOL

A lull in my school work and I have months to catch up on the DIS....sorry Dee. I LOVE the BTM selfie and all the MK pics. BOG lunch looks good. Ok back to pr. 26 for me...I am all finished...now that we are doing BC this summer BC looks even better in your TR to me! Looking forward to your HRH review!! Happy New Year (I haven't popped in since Halloween I think....)

Last edited:
He did get out thanks! Didn't start really snowing here until around 7:00.
I'm home AGAIN as is probably the whole state!! :(
Going until June 29 now. I hope we go back tomorrow.
Yeah gas is a necessity LOL

Wasn't it nice to FINALLY have a full week of school! First time since early January that they went every day!.

:thumbsup2

A lull in my school work and I have months to catch up on the DIS....sorry Dee. I LOVE the BTM selfie and all the MK pics. BOG lunch looks good. Ok back to pr. 26 for me...I am all finished...now that we are doing BC this summer BC looks even better in your TR to me! Looking forward to your HRH review!! Happy New Year (I haven't popped in since Halloween I think....)

:welcome: back!!! Glad you were able to finish reading the report and that you are excited for your upcoming BC stay.

I'll hopefully be starting my Universal trip report this week. I'll post it in the Universal forum and either as part of this report or a separate thread on these boards.

Thank you for sharing the magic!

:welcome: Andrea!

Trip reports are a great way to get excited about an upcoming trip! In this report you will meet some of the great friends and characters who help out over on the FAQ thread and make it such a special place to hang out.

:grouphug:

:woohoo:

Wasn't it nice to FINALLY have a full week of school! First time since early January that they went every day!.

:thumbsup2

:welcome: back!!! Glad you were able to finish reading the report and that you are excited for your upcoming BC stay.

I'll hopefully be starting my Universal trip report this week. I'll post it in the Universal forum and either as part of this report or a separate thread on these boards.

:welcome: Andrea!

Trip reports are a great way to get excited about an upcoming trip! In this report you will meet some of the great friends and characters who help out over on the FAQ thread and make it such a special place to hang out.

:grouphug:

:woohoo:

MORE SNOW tonight Dee....UGH!!! Will this ever end?
Again my DH has a flight out at 5:00 I hope he makes it.

Touring With Teens, Take Two (The PTR)

What do you do when you have 2 trip reports in progress in addition to managing an active DIS resort thread that you can't keep up with?

Well, you start a PTR, of course!

It is just a little more than 2 months until I head to Disney with my son Ben and his 8th grade classmates. There are 114 students going and 43 adults, including the middle school principal, 4 teachers and two nurses (all of whom pay their own way).

We will be at All Star Movies from Monday June 8 to Friday June 12 and we will be visiting the parks Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. On Tuesday and Wednesday, we have Y.E.S. (Youth Education Series) classes in the morning, and then free time every afternoon and all day Thursday.

P1100799.JPG

P1100780.JPG

We have an outdoor pizza party on arrival night, the teachers pick up water bottles and breakfast food for us to grab and go in the morning and then we have vouchers for counter service meals Tues, Wed and Thursday.

We fly down Monday. The girls will be taking the earlier flight, arriving at MCO around 11:30 am. My group, with the boys, will not be arriving until 6:30- not too much time that first day.

The trip costs $925 per chaperone ($875 for students)- which includes 4 nights at ASMo (Adults 2 per room, students 4 per room), Disney 3 day Park Hopper admission and classes, meals, transportation to and from Logan airport, private transportation to the parks the morning of our classes, and nighttime Disney security guards outside of the rooms where we are staying.

This is not my first rodeo- I chaperoned my older son Nate’s trip 3 years ago, which I chronicled in my “145 Middle Schoolers: Wicked Awesome or Epic Fail?” (The answer is… it was a little of both)

But I am excited about this trip for several reasons. Ben loves Disney and loves planning for Disney trips, just like his mom. I will be staying in a room with one of my best friends. Last time I stayed with a woman I had never met before. This is a great group of kids, in my group and in the whole class. The teachers and administrators can not say enough about what a wonderful bunch of kids they are.

My group will be 12 kids and 5 chaperones. On my last trip, I didn’t really know my fellow chaperones and a surprising amount of the stress of the trip had to do with the other adults, not the kids. This time, two are friends, one is the dad of one of Ben’s friend who I know, but not well and the other chaperone in my group seems really nice from past field trips.

Famous last words: I think this is going to be a GREAT trip!!!

:jumping1::jumping1:

PS- this is what it is like trying to count and keep track of 12 boys!

Originally, when this trip was being planned in the fall, the two Y.E.S classes we were going to take were a Physics class about motion at MK, where you ride Space Mountain with the lights off then with the lights on and “Meet an Imagineer”, observing period details at Hollywood Studios, riding Tower of Terror, listening to an Imagineer talk about his job and then riding RNR. I did the latter class with Nate on his trip. Pretty darned cool!!!

Unfortunately, we are not able to do these two classes due to the size of our group and when the classes are offered.

So we are repeating the other class I took with Nate. Energy and Waves at MK (backstage at Haunted Mansion- very cool. Stich’s Great Escape and Philharmagic- not as cool with teens). We are also doing a class about Marine Biology at EPCOT. Which is kind of cool, because marine biology is a possible career choice for Ben. But I’m not sure if any “attractions” at EPCOT are included with this class.

P1100630.JPG

Manatee.jpg
Flat Ben and a Manatee at The Seas.

Now one of the motivations behind writing and posting this now. On Thursday, we are 60 days from our first park day, so we can start making Fast Pass Plus selections.

Theoretically…

First- we need tickets. We are going to be getting hard tickets for the parks. They are supposed to be expressed to us this week. I think our Magic Bands (grey and not customized) will be only for room entry.

Then- I need to set up 13 different MDE accounts, and add each of people going on the trip to the right account, and then link the tickets.

And- I have to hope I have the right reservation number(s) to “prove” we are onsite guests. Right now I have a group reservation number but a friend of mine has told me I may need reservation numbers for all of the rooms we are booking (52 in all, I think)

Assuming I get all that info, then we need to pick the FPs for the group.

:faint:

I need to figure out what to recommend to the teachers for FP plus selections. Last year I helped with this process, and what we did was booked nighttime FP for the two days the students had classes.

Day 1 or 2 (the girls go one day, the boys the next)

Class until 11:30-ish, then Columbia Harbor House lunch

On day we are at MK, I would like to schedule afternoon FP for the 3 mountains, Space, BTMRR and Splash, from noon to 1, 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. Pirates is closed for our entire trip. :sad:

We will probably go to EPCOT that night after a park break and dinner and hopefully get in Sum of All Thrills (before Innoventions closes at 7 pm) hopefully Soarin’ and then the World Showcase. Club Cool, of course. I hear the Beverly is good! ;)

Day 1 or 2

Class until 11:30-ish, then Sunshine Season lunch

At EPCOT, I think I want to book FP for Test Track, Spaceship Earth and Mission:Space after the classes.

That evening, after a park break and dinner at the resort, head to Hollywood Studios. Get FP if any available. Try to ride TSM at end of night, catch F! if the kids want to.

Day 3, free day

I am think of starting at AK at rope drop, knocking out the attractions standby and then hopping to Hollywood Studios and having FP there.

Animal Kingdom- start at Expedition Everest, then Safari, then either Kali if it is open or Dinosaur. As great as the shows at AK are, I don’t think the boys will want to see them. Mine never do!

Lunch at either AK or when we arrive at HS.

Fast passes for afternoon- RockNRollercoaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours.

Return to resort for break and dinner.

End trip at Magic Kingdom at night.

Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions about what you might do differently?

Last edited:
Wow...you are a brave woman, my friend. My only concern is your FP+ for the Studios. Aren't RockNRoll and Tower of Terror in the same tier? Or is that Toy Story that's in the same tier? I can't remember because I don't do Rock & Roll and Mark does it single rider line so I can use his FP for TOT.

Wow...you are a brave woman, my friend. My only concern is your FP+ for the Studios. Aren't RockNRoll and Tower of Terror in the same tier? Or is that Toy Story that's in the same tier? I can't remember because I don't do Rock & Roll and Mark does it single rider line so I can use his FP for TOT.

Thanks for reading!!!

Did I mention- no alcohol allowed for the chaperones???

I think RNR and TSM are in the top tier, so I have to choose one or the other. Then ToT is 2nd tier, I believe. I think if we plan on doing TSM at the end a previous night, the line may not be too bad. Plus the queue is interesting. I would rather wait 45 min to an hour in the airconditioned fun TSM queue than in the hot, open-air, boring RNR queue

:goodvibes:

No alcohol!!!!!!!! WHAT??? :sad2: I give you much credit the thought of chaperoning 12 boys :crazy: well, it might not be too different than my 5 kiddos :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter