What happened to the Peacocks

massmickeypal

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this has already been answered. When we used to visit Fort Wilderness there were Peacocks and Armadillos. Where did they go?

Massmickeypal,

The peacocks have been gone for many years. At least 5 or 6 years? There is a band of half a dozen wild turkeys that roam the side of the Fort with the Full and Preferred loops now. They walked across my tent pad on site 218 in January clucking to each other pretending like i wasnt there.

As for armadillos, i have seen one or two on recent trips.

Bama Ed

When we first noticed the peacocks were gone, we asked the front desk people what had happened to them. We were told that the peacocks had been seeing their reflections in cars and attacking the cars. Because of this, the peacocks were moved to another location.

As a huge animal lover and that being a big joy in our trips, I would have loved to see peacocks. Did see an armadillo at our campsite last month (and a gator in the canal behind our campsite) with our first trip to FW. Sorry if this is off subject, but we also hate that they took the parrots away from Epcot, there used to be parrots near Mexico area, unless we missed them? and we loved the Living Seas, passing thru the tunnel with the fish overhead, etc. We were a little disappointed with Epcot and the changes when we went last month, I think we'll pass on Epcot next trip. Also, our very first trip to WDW yrs back we stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort (before we had our RV) and they had parrots there. Loved that, wow, was that a magical trip, I was so wowed by the whole Disney experience.

Last edited:
I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but my recollection is that the peacocks were relocated around the same time as the bird flu outbreaks that were in the news.

Across the street from me. :rotfl2:

(Peacocks live across the street from me here at home.)

Peacock.jpg
This guy was at the Gulf Coast Zoo this past weekend doing a taste test...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter