What got you back into Disney?

Nice question- so I went to Disney 3 times as a kid and twice as a teen (one with my parents before a Disney cruise and once on a band trip). I definitely lost the 'Disney magic' in my late teens/early 20's...had nice memories from trips as a kid, but didn't really see myself getting back into it/visiting again. Plus, I'm a bit more of a cynical person than I think Disney attempts to market to.

Then two things happened:
1) I saw a former acquaintance post pictures on Facebook of trips she'd go on with her friend to Disney World...just two adult women having an awesome time. And I thought- well that sounds cool!
2) I tried to remember stuff from my two trips in my teens, and to my sadness and surprise (I'm usually pretty good at keeping memories in my head) I realized I remembered almost NOTHING from those two trips. For the joint Disney/Cruise we stayed in the Polynesian for the first time and the fountain was cool (before they redid the lobby), and we went to Epcot, but absolutely no memories of Magic Kingdom. The band trip I spent most of my time with a strange group of not-really-friends and a now much-hated ex, so my memories are a bit tainted. But, again, I only really remember Blizzard Beach and being dumb at Epcot with not even a clue of Magic Kingdom. Strange!

So both of those things collided into- heck, I'm an adult with a bit of expendable income so let's randomly decide to go on a solo trip. It's in late November and I can't wait. I'd say Disney magic definitely rediscovered!

I always had some Disney magic hiding inside me, it was just hibernating.

I visited DL with my family by chance when I was 18. We visited Vegas and discovered it really wasn't THAT far to the park. My parents are not park people of any kind but they took my brother, he was 10 at the time, and me. He and I ended up in the park on our own until midnight. We had a great time!

9 years later, my DH took us to Universal to see the Harry Potter expansion of Universal. It only seemed natural to visit the Magic Kingdom while we were so close.

Just this year, I saved my pennies to visit WDW on my own. It wasn't until recently that I realized that even though no one around me wants to visit WDW doesn't mean that I can't do it alone. I'm saving up to go again next year!

It never left me - through all the things i have been through in the years, I can say hand on heart Disney has been the only thing that has stayed true in my life. <3

As a kid I wanted to go but we lived in Ireland. Travelling at that time to the States would of been too expensive for my parents, and this was before Disneyland Paris.

When I left school I got a job working in a travel agency. It didn't pay much, but we did get some discounts. One Sunday in January my mum suggested that we should have a family holiday in the summer. We talked about dates and the budget and that was pretty much it but the choice of destination was left to me. Well at that time the dollar was very weak so it made everything priced in dollars very good value. So for not much more than a couple of weeks in Spain we got flights to Orlando, a rental car and 13 nights in an apartment. When I told my mum she was furious and didn't want to go, but we went. We only went to the Magic Kingdom for one day and my mum hated it. But my sister and I really enjoyed it, so did my dad but he wouldn't admit that he did. Mum wouldn't let us spend any money in the park, complained that it was all so false. That was my first time at Disney.

Thats nearly 25 years ago.

Its never really gone away, I always want to go to Disney. However I married someone who doesn't like travelling and really didn't enjoy Disney the two times we have been. So for the first time in 18 years I am going back to WDW. I am going on my own but the thing is if I don't go on my own I don't get to go and life is too short.

Alex

We went as children to both DL and WDW a few times and loved it. But then I turned 18 and discovered the party resorts Spain and Greece (we are English) and Disney was off the radar for a number of years. Now I am older and can't keep up with the young party-goers, Disney is our number one choice and I won't defect again, I promise :D

I first went to Disney World with my parents when I was in high school and I honestly didn't enjoy it that much because we went in the summer, it rained a lot, there were long lines, etc. I didn't return until 15 years later, and it was just kind of a spur of the moment decision. I told my cousin that I wanted to go, so we went and had a pretty good time. I returned the following year with my mom, and then I took solo trips for the three years after that. After visiting five years in a row, I think that I might take a break and not go next year, but we'll see. :)

As I've always loved Disney (except for like, the teen year when it was uncool, and that was during the slump between the good movies being released) but to actually get my INSANE love back, and to get me to the parks, it's a little embarrassing...

Harry Potter World was announced....

Us being BIG HP nerds, knew we had to go, and when I started planning the trip I figured if we were going down all the way to Universal we may as well go to Disney World as well.

There was nothing quite like walking into Magic Kingdom for the first time, seeing the castle in person and having all this RUSH of emotion, pixie dust and magic just complete engulf you, embrace you, it was like going back home despite never having been there before. I discovered new WORLDS that trip, and a new passion, a new dream, everything.

3.5 months later we went back on our second trip, and now, 5 years later, I've been countless times, done a contract working for the mouse, and travelled to all the parks (minus Paris) around the world :)

Used to go to WDW every year for vacation growing up, so for as long as I could remember I've been a fan. Stopped going yearly some time in middle school. Went to Disneyland freshman year of high school, and then went back to WDW in January of my sophomore year in college with my mother. I guess I then got distracted with life given that I lived outside of the country for a while after college. After moving back to the States and working for a few more years, I made the decision to go back to school and do my pre-requesites for medical school. That took a little under two years of classes, even during the breaks. Work paid off, and I got in.

Needless to say, this feat called for a celebration. My partner asked me to pick a place for a celebratory vacation. I instantly said WDW because I wanted to recapture some of that childhood glee and really be carefree before assuming some really big responsibilities. He had never been and was very skeptical at first. Long story short, he got hooked soon after stepping foot into our resort. We were back 11 months later after I finished my first year. Will finish my second year in June, so of course we are planning another trip.

I love Disney stuff because I have a personality that naturally drifts towards pessimism and the cynical. However, Disney makes me shed all this and it is really very freeing. I'm hoping there's no more years-long relapses between trips in my future.

Never really left, so I guess it was just habit. Up until this past year (2016) I have gone there, at least once, every year since 1983. Unfortunately, since I am now retired and hoping to have enough money put away to get me through the rest of my days, I'm afraid that Disney has pretty much priced me out of the picture when it comes to Theme Parks. However, I have made over 44 trips to WDW (most of those road trips from Vermont), 1 to DLR and 1 to Disneyland Paris. If I remain healthy I do want to visit when Pandora and Star Wars Land is completed.

Great post, OP! I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories & experiences. :goodvibes

I was always into Disney. As a kid, my family went twice. Once when I was 8 & then another when I was 14. I was a 90's child so was fortunate to grow up watching Lion King, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, etc. In 2003, I was accepted into the DCP & it was an experience I will never forget. :) That only strengthened my love for the company. After my DCP, I moved to LA & was unable to visit WDW for 8 years until I finally was able to move to FL. I became a passholder in 2011 & have gone as much as possible, usually every 3-5 months driving from S FL & have made so many awesome memories! My goal was to move to the Orlando area this past summer but I broke my ankle pretty bad & have been set back a bit with that for now. New goal: to be there by this coming summer! I do not see myself ever getting tired or bored with hanging out at the parks any time in the near future.

Wow -- what a great question.

Short answer -- After dipping my toe in the water on a last minute day trip to Disneyland after not visiting a Disney park in 12 years (or watching any Disney movies for at least 5 years), my love for Disney snowballed out of control to the point where I now own 30+ movies, I am a DVC member, an AP holder, and a TIW holder.

How did it get to that point?

Settle in -- because this is going to be a long answer.

My dad was a police officer and my mom stayed at home, so growing up, we just didn't have the money to do much, and as such, my family didn't do many family vacations. In fact, I can really only think of two. The first was a road trip in Texas (we're from Houston) to San Antonio (I was probably 5 or so). My second was to WDW in 1989 when I was 8 years old. I was all about thrill rides back then, and just couldn't understand why WDW was so popular. There weren't really any big rides. I LOVED space mountain, but but that was pretty much it. I can only imagine how my parents felt when I said something to the affect that our local Six Flags had better rides.

I always liked the Disney channel as a kid -- but the parks just didn't do anything for me. I think I was in that in-between age where I was too old to be caught up in the magic and too young to appreciate all of the details and full immersion of the parks.

Didn't go again until High School band trips in 1997 and 1999. Had a lot of fun, but we didn't get to ride a whole bunch since the parks were really crowded, Fastpass didn't exist yet, and we had limited times at the parks. Still had a fun time though -- but no overwhelming feelings that made me have to go back.

During college, I randomly went in January 2003 when I got suckered into clicking on a timeshare advertisement on some website (typical -- click here if you would like 3 nights free in Orlando). Ended up adding on a few more nights and my fiance and I flew out with my parents meeting us there to help defray some of the costs (that "free" off-site hotel was not free). The hotel was a complete dump, but there was nightly karaoke that made it memorable. As far as the parks, lines were incredibly short and we had a blast riding everything. My parents had a lot of fun too and even ended going to one of the Disney timeshare tours. I got back from that trip with a renewed interest in Disney -- and even bought some DVDs of Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King (admittedly an odd purchase for a 22 year old male with no kids at the time).

Life then got in the way -- law school, being poor, etc. Then I worked at a big law firm and NEVER had time off to do even think about vacations.

Fast forward to May 2015 -- DW and DD1 (2 at the time) and DD2 (3 months from being born) were in LA for a vacation and we decided to try and do a day trip at Disneyland. Much to my surprise, DD loved it and lasted the entire day with only 1 nap. Not one meltdown. I then made a mental note that we should try WDW out in 2 or 3 years once the baby-yet-to-be-born would be about the same age.

Well, late October of 2015, a friend of mine asked me how we liked Disney and if we'd go again (his daughter is same age as mine). I told them we had a blast and would probably be back in a few years. He then asked if I had any suggestions, which then led me to tooling around on the internet looking for advice I could send him. I don't know what it was, but reading all the blogs and such, something about trying to "optimize" the trip got my juices flowing. I had no idea there was so much to learn! Within a week, I had booked a week vacation with a split stay at POR and VGF (club level) for February 2016. Figured I would "do it right" since we probably wouldn't be back for another few years.

Well -- let me just say that staying Club Level at the Grand Floridian was AWESOME. Being on the monorail with two kids and a stroller is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than dealing with the buses. The first 3 nights at Port Orleans were so tiring. We made the mistake of doing EMH the first night until midnight, so we didn't get back to the hotel 1 pm. Also -- we had no luck with the buses those first three nights. I think each wait was more than 15 mins -- and with so much waiting, each bus was completely full. Having to hold the girls b/c they had fallen asleep in the stroller waiting for the buses was not a fun experience.

But that all changed once we moved to the monorail. The last 4 nights at the Grand Floridian were amazing. From the moment we stepped off the monorail and entered the 2nd floor of that lobby -- I just felt at home. It was so calming. Such a welcomed reprieve from POR. There was a piano player taking requests in the main lobby, and all the CMs were so helpful. Check in took less than 5 minutes, whereas at Port Orleans, check-in took 30+ minutes. Needless to say, we fell in love with the Grand Floridian. Loved everything about it.

While the trip had some ups and downs, it was the only vacation I have experienced where I was so overcome with emotions that I could barely keep it together. I shed quite a few tears watching my not-quite-three year old DD experience the magic. The two things that really got me were Wishes and the Frozen show in Hollywood Studios. I don't think I have to explain Wishes -- but with Frozen, the very end where they make it snow, it was so awesome watching her lose her mind when she thought it was actually snowing inside the building. In addition to those two moments, she also had so much fun with the character meals -- and riding the Tea Cups and Barnstormer over and over and over. I remembered thinking that despite being there for a week -- we had barely scratched the surface.

After I got back home, I remember thinking about how much fun I had...and I knew I wanted to go back...but the lodging was so expensive, I just didn't see how it would happen anytime soon.

In order to feed my subconscious addiction, I then started buying disney blu-ray movies everytime I went to Costco, and would watch them with DD1 (now three). Next thing I know -- I joined the Disney Movie Club (for my kids of course -- at least that's what I told DW), and ended up with more than 30+ disney movies in the collection. DD1 is now fully addicted to everything Mickey Mouse (and DD2 is getting there).

A few months later, I had DD1 at work with me on the weekend so I could catch up on some work. She was watching The Lion King -- and for some unknown reason, I started researching the DVC. I don't remember seeing advertisements for it while we were there -- I just remembered that my parents had mentioned that Disney had a timeshare thing way back when, so I'm not sure why I even thought about it that day. Mentioned the idea to my wife -- and within a week, after spending probably 40+ hours researching everything, we purchased a resale contract at VGF. I then added a second contract at VGF a month later when I started mentally planning all of our future trips with extended family and realized we needed more points. I then added a third contract at BCV via direct purchase in order to get another home resort for F&W, as well as to get AP discounts and other member benefits.

Since then, DW and I have done an adults only trip for F&W. We have trips booked with one set of grandparents coming up end of January 2017; I have a solo trip booked for October 2017 (we bought APs and we had BCV points to use); and we just booked late November 2017 with the other set of grandparents. So I will have gone from only going to WDW in 1989, 1997, 1999, and 2003, to going five times in less than 24 months. I'm also planning on taking DD1 the following year for a daddy/daughter only trip for her 5th birthday and we're going to do nothing but princess stuff (BBB, tea party, etc...).

Funny thing is that I made fun of my older sister when she and her husband took their 4 year old daughter to Disney back in 2011. I made it abundantly clear that it was a complete waste of money to take a kid that age, since they would have no memory of it. Of course, those statements were made prior to having my own daughter -- so I just didn't understand that the trips at that age are just as much for the kid as they are about getting the joy out of watching your child experience it all.

In summary -- one thing just led to another, and the next thing I know, I have become a full fledged Disneyholic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter