What focal lengths are best for disneyland?

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by nvtsallo, Apr 10, 2012.

1. nvtsallo

nvtsallo Mouseketeer

I am going to Disneyland in early August tied in to a trip to San Diego and was trying to plan on which lenses to bring. I know I can get by with a 24mm-105mm (35mm). Not sure if Disneyland is the same also we are going to see the new Carsland and want to be prepped for lots of photo opts for that also. Any suggestions?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

It's really subjective and depends on how you shoot. I use a 28-105 as my walkaround pretty much all the time and I like it on both my crop DSLR and 35mm cameras (yes, I actually do still shoot film).

4. nvtsallo

nvtsallo Mouseketeer

Yeah I have two redundant focal lengths on my 60d 15-85 and 17-55. I was thinking of the 17-55 and getting the 70-200 f4IS to cover most of my range and the 40mm pancake if it surfaces in time for August. If not I was going to sell my current body and get the Canon 5dmk iii with the 24-105 and go with that and the 50 1.4 for my trip but was not sure if that will cover everything. I just want to include my twins in my pics so definetly on the wider side. I just don't know how close the parades and picture moments are. I also do not know how many photopass if any are around?

5. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

The 24-105 on a full frame body is going to feel a lot like the 17-55 on a crop body. It's a little more reach, but not much, and really close to the same field of view on the wide end

6. nvtsallo

nvtsallo Mouseketeer

But how close or far does the photography shots compare to wdw? For example i can get really close to the castle for pics and if your early on a parade you will be able to shoot close but not sure of disneyland.

7. mom2rtk

mom2rtk DIS Veteran

How close you can get to the parade or castle depends n when you are going. If you're going on a day that is not blacked out to AP's, expect it to be packed.

I did DL 2 summers ago right after I got my 17-55 f/2.8 and shot 95% of the time with that. I don't think I used my longer lens at all. I did swap out a little with my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for dark rides. There are a few more dark ride options there (Alice, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio). I also used my UWA a bit.

Can't comment on Carsland since that wasn't open then.

Have fun! I want to head east this year to see the FL Expansion. But then I think I have to get back west in 2013.

I would probably skew toward saying you won't need a long lens as much at DL, but I'm probably forgetting something. Everything there just seems smaller and closer together.

8. KAT4DISNEY

KAT4DISNEY Glad to be a test subject

Disneyland parade viewing and castle views etc. is similar to WDW. In some cases it will be more compact. If anything you might require a wider angle but will probably be fine with the same equipment you would use at WDW.

9. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Same lenses you'd use in the Magic Kingdom.

10. MarkBarbieri

MarkBarbieri Semi-retired

Anything from an 8mm fisheye to a 600mm telephoto would be useful. What would be most useful depends on your shooting style.

11. nvtsallo

nvtsallo Mouseketeer

Agreed. I just got back and 95% was the 24-105 with a little 50mm mixed in for rides. I did use the 70-200 (rented) for the zoo and sea world but the best day was when I did Lego Land with our Sony nex f3. I love the 5d but it was really hot and heavy by the end of the day. I will post some pics when I figure out how. I took 2,500 this trip.