"What exactly is a schnitzel!?" March 2015 DR - November Trip Plans 9/2

Yum !!! Loving both of your reports, everything looks so great. Getting me psyched for our trip in August.
Thanks for sharing !!

SNACK AT MK

This review will be somewhat quick.

After a hot morning/afternoon in Animal Kingdom, and a really cool bus ride to MK, I was not feeling 100%. In fact, I was not feeling 50%. I attribute it to not eating since 9 AM (it was now 3), and not drinking any water that day, plus taking a Bonine for my motion sickness and not eating with it. Poor choice!

We got inside Town Square Theatre and parked it in the air conditioning. My mom was really sweet and offered to go get anything I wanted. When I feel like this, something with a bland flavor always settles my stomach. So she and K set off to get my aunt and I some Mickey pretzels and pop. I gave up Diet Coke as of the new year, so I thought that a Sprite would settle my stomach.

They said they had been to Tomorrowland - the parade was coming through - so I assumed they went to the Lunching Pad.

This was awesome and much appreciated.

B9FC450C-AD90-47AC-8231-C7B11E1287D3_zpse2r6bpui.jpg

After sitting inside for close to an hour and digesting our Mickey pretzels, my aunt and I felt ten times better. I was shocked that I felt so sick. I should have known to eat something when I took a Bonine. Silly me. I was now left hoping that I wasn't too full for our dinner at 6:15 at Be Our Guest!

Last edited:
BE OUR GUEST (DINNER)

Our dinner that night was one we were all really looking forward to.

We would be dining in someone's castle that night..

DF5DA200-EB34-4730-91F3-FB1067038AE4_zpsalyixz8r.jpg

We'd be eating at Be Our Guest!

I mentioned before that we made our ADRs at less than 180 days, so I told my family not to expect a BOG dinner reservation. I had also been watching for news on the FP+ lunch, since testing was ending and I was unable to get a lunch ADR.

I was able to coordinate with someone on the March Facebook page, and I picked up her ADR for 4 at 6:15 for Sunday, 3/8. My mom was so excited.

My brother wanted to join us. His band would be in MK at the same time, so I told him I would call and see. At one week prior, they weren't able to add him to our reservation. The CM I spoke with told me to check for a 5 person ADR the day before, and switch one for the other. I wasn't able to find one, so I just thought I would ask the CM when I checked in if we could add an extra person.

We got there around 6 PM, and checked in. I thought I would get there early and ask about adding my brother, letting them know that we were willing to wait if they could accommodate us, but if not, don't worry.

In the 5 minutes I stood at the podium, the second CM turned away 3 angry parties who didn't understand why they couldn't seat them right away. These people did not have reservations and had no idea why they couldn't eat at Be Our Guest right then and there. They were shocked when the CM's said that they were fully booked, but that they could try later in the evening just in case someone cancelled. It pays to do your homework and stalk around on the internet for an ADR, haha!

Thankfully, the CM I dealt with was really sweet. He called the restaurant and asked about adding a 5th person, and we were told it was no problem. Yay! pixiedust:

We went to stand on the bridge with our pager. We took a few quick pictures and didn't even get to finding a spot before our buzzer went off. :eek:

Seriously - less than 2 minutes. WOW. When I was here in September, we waited for like 15-20 minutes past our ADR time to be seated - so this was a pleasant surprise!

Here's a quick picture my brother and I grabbed before being seated.

C09B35F4-EE08-460A-9C7B-02ED152672C4_zps1xke97r4.jpg

My brother was really excited to eat here. He had been living off of (in his words) pizza, burgers, and fries for 4 days. I guess they gave each kid $10 for lunch and dinner each day. I think it was built in to their trip cost, so this was a welcome change of pace for him.

We were seated in the Rose Gallery. Last time I ate here, we ate in the main Ballroom. Let me just say.. the Rose Gallery is breathtaking. Seriously, I was so impressed with the big Belle and Beast in the middle, as well as all of the artwork. My family was also in awe.

D4848832-391F-4F34-8640-8D988F3B0B1C_zpsfyqti6sf.jpg

Only half of the Rose Gallery was full during our meal. Even less when we first walked in - probably only 3 or 4 tables. I assume that's because the kitchen maybe can't handle if every table in the restaurant was packed!? I don't know. We enjoyed the quietness of the Rose Gallery, though. It was nice after a long day and allowed us to really take in all of the scenery.

We were seated at a table for 8, even though there was only 5 of us. Our server was Cliff. He was nice and attentive.

AF087C68-C65F-430F-B895-26B2A9DEA70C_zpsusjebfaj.jpg

60CD08C8-C3D0-40A5-BECB-DA3C6FB809E6_zpsqushmgt2.jpg

We ordered some drinks, and Cliff brought out some rolls and salted butter.

2D84B53E-DAE6-403E-81C1-79BEA9FA8EDB_zps0t88ept3.jpg

My mom, cousin and I all ordered water. My brother had the all natural fruit punch with wildberry foam for $4.19. I think my aunt had a root beer.

My cousin really liked the sound of the meat and cheese board, so she and my aunt shared that for an appetizer.

I don't have a picture of this, but I'll try to find one.
Assorted Cured Meats and Sausages - served with cornichons, pickled onions, and toasted baguette (serves two) $16.49

They really liked this. I tried some of the smoked prosciutto and it was delicious.

We also ordered our entrees. I was in between the braised pork and shrimp and scallops. I had tried the pork chop and macaroni au gratin before, and I had absolutely loved it.

My brother and aunt both ordered the pork chop.

736685D1-56E2-43B3-9242-414CE75C90FD_zpsc9mzmoam.jpg

Thyme-scented Pork Rack Chop - with au gratin macaroni, seasonal vegetables and red wine au jus $23.99

My brother really, really liked this, especially the macaroni. My aunt also raved about the macaroni, but had a hard time eating her pork. She has some dental issues, so that was why. Otherwise, they both loved their meal.

My mom and I decided to order two entrees and split them.

I ordered the shrimp and scallops dish.

E15EB75C-7862-49D6-BD19-E8B6ABDA232B_zps4vx5e11j.jpg

Sauteed Shrimp and Scallops - Seasonal vegetables served in puff pastry with a creamy lobster sauce $26.99

This entree was the clear winner for our table. It might have been my favorite entree of the entire trip. It was delicious. There really was a lot of scallops and shrimp in there, and the lobster sauce was great. My mom and I absolutely loved this dish.

My mom decided to order the salmon.

64DEDC71-D30A-42BD-B27C-7B5FD91228ED_zps8phiagrz.jpg

Pan-seared Salmon on Leek Fondue - Served with creamy saffron-crushed potatoes $24.99

We really liked this. The salmon was good, and I liked the crushed potatoes. It was good, but not as good as the shrimp and scallops dish. I'm glad we split two and got to try both!

My cousin loves French Onion soup, and that with the seasonal salad trio sounded better to her than an entree that evening.

I don't have a picture of her soup, but she really liked it. I had a bite and it was delicious and cheesy.

This is a pretty awful picture, but here's her seasonal salad trio.

17074B8A-2A91-4973-AAFA-36E43C850CC2_zpsawbh3q0l.jpg

Seasonal Salad Trio - Three Individual Bowls of:
Roasted Beet, Gold Raisin and Orange Salad
Green Been, Tomato and Roasted Shallot Salad
Watermelon, Radish, and Mint salad $7.99

The first on the left is a watermelon salad, I think it had some mint on it. The middle is a tomato and green bean salad, and the third is a beet salad, I think it had raisins in it. She really loved all three of these. It was a great value for $7.99, and I think her soup was $7.99. A lot of food for $16!

We decided to try dessert. My cousin was stuffed, and my brother isn't big on sweets, so they passed. I had tried the Grey Stuff last time. I wanted to get it again, but I decided to try something different this time.

CA5582AB-8335-4A17-89DE-8908BA992A28_zpswk124wi7.jpg

My mom and aunt each had the Grey Stuff for $4.19.

I was having trouble deciding between the Strawberries and Cream cupcake, and the Triple Chocolate Cupcake. I ended up with..

A73FADE9-68C3-49BD-B820-DA3584A52C9F_zpsaggsykrv.jpg

Strawberry Cream Cheese Cupcake - - vanilla sponge cake, strawberry mousse filling, and cream cheese icing $4.19

And.. I wish I would've had the Grey Stuff. I always like chocolate, and rarely order a fruity dessert, so I don't know why I thought I'd like this. The cream cheese icing was the best part. It was rich. The strawberry was mushy, the yellow cake was bland, and the cream filling was yucky in my opinion.

It was strawberry cream, which didn't taste good to me. I only ate about half of this before I couldn't finish it - it was overly sweet.

I know many might like this, I have heard great reviews. Maybe it was just an off day, but I didn't really like it. I used to work at a bakery, so maybe I thought it would taste like their strawberry cupcake, which is awesome! So maybe my expectations were off, but I won't order it next time.

My mom and aunt loved the Grey Stuff.

Our meal, in total, cost about $180. I'm going to try to keep track of the prices for what I ate so I can compare vs. the dining plan.

Overall, service was good, the entrees were good, and all but my dessert were enjoyable. It was definitely worth it and my family really enjoyed getting to meet the Beast and see his castle.

MK_BEOURGUESTCHAR_7215616181_zpsjxmzwq8s.jpeg

I think next trip, Justin and I will just do lunch here. I've been wanting to try lunch. The dinner entrees are good, but aside from the pork chop, shrimp and scallops, and steak (which Justin tried last time), nothing really jumps out at me as something I have to have. I would like to try other spots for dinner and give lunch a chance here.

I was really pleased with the service here, especially the accommodating CM's that got my brother in with us! It was very much appreciated and we enjoyed a slow, relaxing meal here.

CC78F65C-9CFE-43C7-A431-5ADD0C113D89_zpsmpj7rl41.jpg

Last edited:
You've made me miss Tusker House breakfast! We've done it about 3x but not since 2012. Think I'll have to put it on our list for the next trip :D
BOG is mine and DS9's favorite TS restaurant. We've eaten there 4x as a family and once for lunch, and then last week DH and I snagged a last minute dinner reservation which I was thrilled about! We've never had bad service or a bad meal; glad you enjoyed yours.

If you do go for dinner again, try the Hoegaarden. It's a nice light beer, really good!

Hi Ashley. What a wonderful report! Didn't know this was possible, but reading your posts have made me even more excited about my Disney trip next month. Can't wait to snack my way around the World Showcase. Also pretty excited about eating at Be Our Guest for the first time.

Please keep the posts coming : )

Love your report so far! My ADR day was Thursday and I was able to get BOG dinner and a pre park opening TH breakfast- I was very excited to read your reviews of them! By any chance, do you remember if Tusker House had oatmeal?

I'm so excited to read this report! Thank you for the fantastic pictures and details. I, too, love Tusker House--it's my favorite breakfast on property. Can't wait to read the rest of your dining adventures.

Yum !!! Loving both of your reports, everything looks so great. Getting me psyched for our trip in August.
Thanks for sharing !!

Thanks for joining. I love reading dining reports to get excited for my trips. It helps to get an idea of what to order!

You've made me miss Tusker House breakfast! We've done it about 3x but not since 2012. Think I'll have to put it on our list for the next trip :D
BOG is mine and DS9's favorite TS restaurant. We've eaten there 4x as a family and once for lunch, and then last week DH and I snagged a last minute dinner reservation which I was thrilled about! We've never had bad service or a bad meal; glad you enjoyed yours.

If you do go for dinner again, try the Hoegaarden. It's a nice light beer, really good!

Hoegaarden sounds delicious. Since I wasn't feeling 100% that day I skipped a drink, although next time I'll have to try one. Tusker House was definitely a sleeper. No one really knew what to expect, but we all came out absolutely loving it. I might have to book a breakfast there next trip as well.. now I don't think I can go without it! Haha.

Hi Ashley. What a wonderful report! Didn't know this was possible, but reading your posts have made me even more excited about my Disney trip next month. Can't wait to snack my way around the World Showcase. Also pretty excited about eating at Be Our Guest for the first time.

Please keep the posts coming : )

Thanks, and welcome! Snacking around WS was one of my favorite parts of our trip.

Love your report so far! My ADR day was Thursday and I was able to get BOG dinner and a pre park opening TH breakfast- I was very excited to read your reviews of them! By any chance, do you remember if Tusker House had oatmeal?

Thanks!! Awesome job on the BOG and Tusker House pre park breakfast. I was for sure thinking we wouldn't get a BOG dinner reservation, but I'm glad we did. Tusker House did have oatmeal. I know my aunt had some. I skipped over it, but I saw that they had the normal dried fruits, raisins, brown sugar, etc.

I'm so excited to read this report! Thank you for the fantastic pictures and details. I, too, love Tusker House--it's my favorite breakfast on property. Can't wait to read the rest of your dining adventures.

Thanks! I adored Tusker House and definitely want to go back. Especially with the lack of TS restaurants in Animal Kingdom, this one is definitely great.

Don't know how I missed your report until now, but I'm here. Your trip looks great so far. And love your bucket list, some of my fav foods ever are on there.

SASSAGOULA FLOATWORKS (BREAKFAST)

The next morning, we had breakfast at Sassagoula Floatworks, the food court at Port Orleans French Quarter.

We knew we'd be having lunch at MK that afternoon, so we didn't want something too heavy.

K and I knew we had to have the beignets at some point during our vacation. I'm glad we chose today, because this is the only day we ate breakfast here.

On my last trip, Justin and I had breakfast at Pepper Market (Coronado Springs' food court) at least 3 times. I think that's because we were on the Disney Dining Plan and we felt like we had to use up our QS credits.

K and I were torn on what to get, so we decided to split two things - an order of beignets, and a yogurt parfait.

They had a "create your own yogurt parfait" area within the Mickey waffle station.

51182695-2160-481D-8F21-1174E0F6B2CA_zpsyuhvjmzl.jpg

For $5.79, it's a little expensive, but you get a pretty large portion.

4D0FA8A9-E3C6-45DE-A482-E4386FA4750B_zpslecwtoth.jpg

They had lots of options for the parfaits. This is way better than the yogurt parfait I had at Coronado Springs!

38AA308A-FD7B-4F01-968E-07BAE8260F52_zpsgpgyd8ud.jpg

The options included: oats, yogurt, fresh peaches and raspberries, raisins, yellow raisins, walnuts, and I think brown sugar, which was likely for oatmeal. I think the oatmeal also uses the same toppings.

K picked up an order of 3 beignets, which they make right in front of you. Yum!

5BFB207B-EC7D-4113-A624-DAC05209CD0C_zpsjfog3r5h.jpg

An order of 3 beignets is $2.99. An order of 6 is $4.99.

Here's our yogurt parfait. We chose vanilla yogurt, oats, raspberries, and walnuts.

76047220-3EEA-44A6-8B70-C46E5E495C50_zpsyuh7dbry.jpg

It was plenty to share with the beignets.

The beignets were great - a lot of powdered sugar, but we each sampled them and agreed that they were a nice treat.

My mom had a blueberry yogurt and my aunt had a bagel with cream cheese. Nothing special, I didn't grab a picture of either of these.

I think K and my aunt each had coffee, and my mom and I just got water.

4C9D19D7-2526-4511-8DB5-747707FC367D_zpsmc5eifqt.jpg

I really like the decor in here.

B6CC7632-A742-4E30-AE4E-567DB8E91F39_zpsjznvw0pt.jpg

After that, we hit the road for Magic Kingdom! It was a satisfying, inexpensive breakfast that kept us full until lunch time.

Last edited:
Great reviews! You had 2 of my favorite Epcot items - a bratwurst at Sommerfest and those shrimp and grits. :love:

Love the bucket list. We already have one going for our next trip of some things we didn't get to try the last time.
And, I am in complete agreement with you on that strawberry cupcake.

Wow, a fresh yogurt bar and made to order beignets. Pretty impressive for quick service

Great reviews!! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2

No problem, thank you for reading. :love:

Great reviews! You had 2 of my favorite Epcot items - a bratwurst at Sommerfest and those shrimp and grits. :love:

Love the bucket list. We already have one going for our next trip of some things we didn't get to try the last time.
And, I am in complete agreement with you on that strawberry cupcake.

The bratwurst was way better than I thought - I'm usually not a fan of hot dogs/brats but boy was that good. And the shrimp and grits - I cannot wait to try something like that again!

The strawberry cupcake was so disappointing.. bleh! I'm sure others would like it, just not my taste.

Wow, a fresh yogurt bar and made to order beignets. Pretty impressive for quick service

It was impressive! We stayed at Coronado last time and while they probably had an equal amount of choices, the quality was lacking compared to freshly made beignets and a yogurt bar. It was nice to see those options.

COLUMBIA HARBOR HOUSE (LUNCH)

At about 1:30 on Monday, after getting a lot of rides accomplished including 7DMT, Splash, and Big Thunder, we headed for lunch at one of my new favorite spots.. Columbia Harbor House!

I have only eaten here once, on my high school trip in 2009, but I know everyone raves about it. Justin doesn’t like seafood so we didn’t come here on our last trip (he was excited to try the taco salad at Pecos Bill), but after this, I’ll definitely be back here next time.

Originally when planning the trip, my aunt said she didn’t think a heavy seafood meal would be a good idea in the heat, and that she could eat that anytime. When I let them know the lunch options that morning, CHH was the clear winner. And I was excited to try it.

When we walked up, Cast Members outside the restaurant handed us ice water with a lid and a straw, a really nice gesture.

BBD7CE22-1753-42FB-BB22-9406BD1929CE_zpsyuvhno7t.jpg

(Excuse my itty bitty hardly human thumb.. ha!)

They also handed us menus. It was packed inside, but we got through the line and to a table in less than 10 minutes, which was pretty quick. They definitely have this crowd control thing down. It was really efficient.

K and my mom both thought a lobster roll sounded good. My aunt and I thought the chicken and fish sounded good. So my mom and I, and my aunt and K, each ordered one lobster roll with chips, and one chicken/fish/fries combo to share.

4 meals between 4 of us was more than plenty, but we wouldn’t be eating until late that night, and we had a light breakfast, so it was perfect.

The food was fantastic all around. I love a good Disney chicken nugget! And while the fish looks a little funky, there was nothing wrong with it. The fish, fries, and chips were all pretty hot. None of those items left us with that 'ew I just ate something way greasy and now I hate myself' feeling, which I thought they might.

4C953E1B-1A9D-4BDB-AFF6-9CF790D0F1A5_zpsmqtedqe2.jpg

Chicken Breast Nuggets and Fish - With steamed broccoli, apple slices, and french fries, $9.29

And the lobster roll..

AF094C14-F8C7-4A6E-A10C-6CEFEB668327_zps2wisw1wp.jpg

Lobster Roll with Potato Chips, $12.49

The lobster roll was great. We had plenty of big lobster chunks to go around. It could use some salt and pepper but was really tasty. There was maybe a little too much mayo, but I don't think there was less lobster because of it, which was good. I think in general the roll just was stuffed with a ton of lobster salad. The homemade chips were good, too!

My mom and I just got two cups of ice water and my aunt and K I think had a bottle of water and a pop.

My mom and I had brought Crystal Light packets with us to switch it up with our water. I'm not a pop drinker (Anymore.. I begrudgingly quit Diet Coke as of the New Year. RIP.) so it was nice to have that as an option. Although I'm sure the artificial sugars in Crystal Light are just as bad as the ones in Diet Coke. Anyhow..

The total for my mom and I, with two cups of ice water (I love that you can get a free cup of ice water!) was about $23. Not too bad for two full meals.

Overall, this was a really great meal. We didn't do the dining plan on this trip, so we were kind of just eating whatever we wanted, and booked more table service meals than I thought we would. So if I recall, this is really the only QS meal we had that week, aside from a quick bite at Sassagoula Floatworks, and the eating around Epcot we did on Saturday.

Last edited:
Great reviews so far. I'm looking forward to trying the puff pastry seafood dish BOG dinner and the lobster roll CHH in a couple weeks!

Great reviews so far. I'm looking forward to trying the puff pastry seafood dish BOG dinner and the lobster roll CHH in a couple weeks!

The seafood puff pastry was SO GOOD! If you are a seafood fan I highly recommend it. And the lobster roll too. ;)

TH is our favorite breakfast buffet and all the world. My only complaint is the picture at the front used to have Donald in it and now it doesn't :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter