• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What exactly is a Grand Gathering?

A grand gathering is when you have more the 6 or 8 people in your group. Nothing special happens unless you plan and pay for it yourself.

A Grand Gathering is a group of eight or more people (ages 3 or older) who are staying at Disney Resorts. There are certain activities which may only be attended by people who are members of a Grand Gathering.

There are two "Eight and 80%" rules which apply.

A GG may include people who are not staying at Disney Resorts. However, at least eight of the members must be staying and also at least 80% of the people must be staying. If, for example, you had 12 people total, 80% of that is 9.6 so at least ten of the people must be staying at a WDW Resort.

If, for example, you had a GG of 50 people, you would have to have at least 40 of the people staying on property and could have ten communting or staying other locations.

Likewise, each GG activity uses the same 8/80% rule. If you had the 50 person group and were to have an activity for only 20 people, at least 16 of the people attending that activity (80%) would have to be staying at a Disney Resort.

A grand gathering just makes your group eligible to book certain excursions or events.

I don't know if this is true, but a travel agent told me that if you are a grand gathering, then they have to put your rooms close together.

That is true, they do try to put you as close as possible, but still that is not a guarantee.

My December group was supposed to be a GG and they were going to put us close together, so I switched to a different resort :lmao: I live close to that family and can't vacation that close together. One member of the group dropped out, so we are no longer a GG, unfortunately.

Suzanne

I don't know if this is true, but a travel agent told me that if you are a grand gathering, then they have to put your rooms close together.

Only if your staying at the same resort. We have had a grand gathering where everyone was at a different resort on property.

Here's a great link all about Grand Gatherings:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...s/ggLandingPage?id=GrandGatheringsLandingPage

Disney helps to make your vacation extra special if you come with a big group of people. There are certain things only Grand Gathering groups can do such as: International Dinner and IllumiNations Dessert Reception, Safari Celebration Dinner, Good Morning Character Breakfast, Magical Fireworks Voyage and other custom events that Disney can help you plan.

You get your own Grand Gathering planner that helps you plan your special events, get priority dining, plan tours, sign up for photographic services for your group and basically whatever else you need.

You can even create your own t-shirts for a group of 8 or more to wear around the parks.

I personally think this would all be awesome, but my group of 14 stays off property every March. I called & asked if we could book some of the special activities anyways since we all go to the parks but they said no. :headache:

Only WDW property guests can do these things. Maybe someday. :cutie:

You get your own Grand Gathering planner that helps you plan your special events, get priority dining, plan tours, sign up for photographic services for your group and basically whatever else you need.

So does a Grand Gathering Planner assist with making ADRs and is there any "preferential" treatment provided? :confused3 We have a party of 8 and I had some "issues" with making my ADRs this morning (i.e. I could not get many of the places and times that I wanted, even at 180 days out!).
:worried:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter