What does your family wear to the airport?

JJ&JSMOM

DIS Veteran
Curious as to what others wear when flying. We live in Maine so we'll be leaving probably on a chilly morning and then arriving at disney by lunch so it'll be hot. We have 3 kids, ages 8, 4 & 2. We'll be leaving in a few weeks and I'm not sure what the kids should wear. I know the airplanes can be chilly as well. I was thinking sweat suits for DD2 & DD4 and DS8 has some zip off pants into shorts (if they still fit). Maybe the girls could wear shorts underneath and then at Orlando just take off the sweatshirt & pants and they'll be allset. DS8 could zip off the pant legs into shorts and take off his sweatshirt too.

I havent' even thought about me. I have some capri pants but they have little metal things attached to the elastic bottoms to tighten or lessen the elastic bottoms. I bet that would set off the metal detectors! See this is what I don't want to do. Maybe just a regular pair of pants.

What does your family wear to the airport?

Flying from Nevada to Florida- we'll dress comfortably. I'll probably wear a pair of pants I typically NEVER wear out in public, plus a tshirt- the kids will be dressed the same- just comfy. Of course, we are getting into Orlando, checking into the hotel and going to bed- so we aren't going straight to the parks either!~

This question made me smile because it reminded me of my VERY first flight (to Disney!!!) back in 6th grade. My mom hadn't flown since her and dad's honeymoon (and Dad would never notice what people wore on his business trips) so she thought you still had to dress up for flights. So she bought us all these matching khaki skirts and dress shirts and cardigans and had us "just so"...and everyone around us was in T-shirts. :rotfl:

To answer the question you were actually asking...I definitely vote for the long pants and then layers on top. Sometimes the plane is hot when you're waiting to taxi, but it's often chilly while riding. If the zipoffs don't fit, you could always pack shorts in the carry-ons and change in the airport, too. Have a great trip!

I doubt your pants will set anything off, and if they do, they'll just "wand" you to doublecheck.

When traveling from one climate to the other, I wear or bring a heavy coat, heavy enough to deal with the colder weather. That way you can wear a t-shirt but have the coat to warm you up. As for bottoms, I would just throw some shorts in a carry-on that they can change into at the FL airport. Definitely change before you leave the airport, though! Each time I've gotten outside from the Miami airport (not the one you'll be at, but close enough, LOL) I've felt like I was in a steambath, and would NOT want to be wearing sweatpants! :)

We are doing short and tees and bringing a sweatshirt incase it is cool. I am packing now and OMG it is a lot of stuff.

Thanks for all the tips! Thats probably what I'll do - sweatpants or long pants w/short sleeved shirt w/sweatshirt for all of us. Shorts in carryon is probably more comfortable and easier then wearing them under pants. I was thinking of changing them at the airport or maybe on the plane (in the bathroom). From what I remember once everyones off the plane - its a race to baggage claim & transportation.

When we go to FL it is winter here in IL so we wear FL attire and our winter coats.

When we go to FL it is winter here in IL so we wear FL attire and our winter coats.

Us, too. We wear what we're going to wear in Florida and then stick a jacket or coat over it and then cram it in our suitcase just before we check it. If it's really cold when we get to the airport, DH will drop off me and DS before parking the car so that DS won't be running around in the parking lot in subfreezing temps and shorts.

This is what my son will wear (who will be almost 2) My daugter has a matching outfit..

100b0570.jpg

I fly in comfortable pants - a tight plane seat is no place I want to be wearing jeans that make me look great - but aren't completely comfortable. Usually I wear khakis a size too big. I wear a tshirt and a sweater that buttons or zips - the plane can get chilly. If its cold here in Minnesota, I wear the lightest jacket I can get away with that will fit in my carryon. We tend to "cab" the airport, so there isn't a lot of running around outside anyway.

If we are planning on going straight to the parks or the pool, a pair of shorts or a swimsuit gets thrown into carryons for everyone. Its easy to change while waiting for luggage to hit the carrosel or in the bathroom on that first "gotta go" stop.

The kids when they were little and we'd take really early flights were known to travel in footy jammies.

We wear khaki pants, Disney t-shirts & our Disney crocs with socks. Our first trip we didn't wear socks & our feet were freezing! We also have lightweight jackets. Remember, you have to remove shoes at security, so it's easier if you have something that you can just slip on & off. When we check into our resort, we switch from the pants to shorts, leave the jackets & socks in the suitcase and we're off to the MK!

We're going in early Dec. We all have Polartec fleece jackets that we'll wear along with gloves if necessary. We'll be in long pants most likely but have short sleeve shirts on. I like the fleece stuff because it's easy to stuff in a carryon and isn't heavy/bulky.

I read your thread title out loud and dh who is sitting nearby said "I usually go for clothes" :rotfl:

Anyway I usually wear comfortable clothes, usually capris and a comfortable shirt, w/a lightweight sweater or sweatshirt layered over, & shoes that are easy to take off (for going thru security since now they make you take them off), all topped off w/ a lightweight jacket that I stuff in the outside pocket of my suitcase at the airport just before checking it (since we usually travel in fall and winter). That way I don't have to carry a heavy coat on with me. I'll wear a hooded sweatshirt or a lightweight sweater so I don't get cold on the plane but its lightweight enough I can stuff it in my carry on when I reach a warmer climate.

Oh as far as your little metal embellishments on your pants - if they are small I doubt they will set anything off. I don't think the metal detectors are set to as high a sensitivity as they were just post -9/11 but you never know . I've worn pants with small metal button thru and not had any problems. I wouldn't wear anything with a LOT of metal on it though (like overalls for instance).

For ds, I just make sure he's not wearing anything with metal fasteners (ie overalls) since the last thing I want is for him to be singled out for special attention by TSA if I can avoid it (not sure how he'd handle that and security is a big enough hassle as is). Most of his clothes are casual/comfortable and his shoes are easy to take off/put on as well. We all pretty much start out wearing similar types of outfits that can be de-layered for warmer weather.

hth

T-Shirt, cardigan or zippered fleece jacket/sweatshirt - something easy to remove and put on as needed, and slip on shoes - even the kids need to take their shoes off at security, so make it easy. I wouldn't bother with shorts, it's not a hardship to wear long pants in heat, I woudn't want to wear long sleeves though!

I will also be coming from a cold climate Capris, T-shirt and light zip up hooded sweatshirt for me. Same for the girls and shorts in the carry on. Slip on shoes a must and definitely comfy socks for the plane because my feet freeze.

I completely remember when I was little we always dressed up for flying like we were going to church or something (dresses or skirts) what was up with that :rotfl2:

We fly out of RI, so it's usually pretty darn cold. We leave the winter coats at home but wear pants, and a t-shirt underneath a hooded fleece or some type of sweatshirt for layering. This seems to work the best.

I'm such a geek, I love this thread!

We are coming from similar climates right now, so I'll wear really long shorts - almost like capris, a tee, and a hoodie. I like the Crocs with socks idea! My DH wears cargo pants and a shirt - he's never cold, but he hates wearing shorts on the plane. My DD is 3 and wants to wear a dress everywhere - I'll have to work on that for the trip! We leave in 2 weeks!!! Time to start packing!

No matter where my destination is, I always wear flip flops and jeans on the plane. I am the most comfy in these. My DH wears flips and either shorts (long ones) or comfy pants. Now that we have a DS, he will wear jeans, probably Converse and a short sleeve shirt. We will all bring light-weight zip-up hoodies.

It all comes down to what you are most comfy in at home or around town. Wear that on the plane. I wouldn't worry about weather too much, as you are inside most of the time and going straight to your hotel :)

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter