What does "within walking distance" mean?

TigerBear

Found him!
I'm hoping someone will be able to help....When a hotel is "within walking distance", how far is this from the actual entrance to Disneyland. For example, Best Western Park Place is supposed to be right across the street. How long is the walk from the hotel to the actual entrance of Disneyland?

My Dad will need to rent an ecv when he is in the park. He can walk...just not for long distances. I'm wondering if it would be a strain for him to walk from a hotel such as Park Place Inn? How big and busy is the street we will have to cross?

How much closer do the hotel shuttles take you to the actual entrance? I'm trying to decide between staying at BW and walking or staying at Anaheim Fairfield Inn or Candy Cane Inn and knowing we may have to shuttle each time because of my dad.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

I haven't been to DL for a while, so I'm not sure where the "new" shuttle drop-off areas are. I do know that BW is about as close as you're going to get aside from staying at a Disney Hotel. I would say the walk from BW to the ticket gates would be about 5 minutes.

The street may not be as busy as it used to be since they moved the entrance. It's a pretty safe place to cross though, since many people stay in hotels in that area, more than likely there will be people crossing with you.

Perhaps someone who's been there recently can confirm and better describe?

I'm going out on a limb here because I haven't stayed at the BW, but from what I could see from the monorail, all of those little hotels and inns are literally across the street from Disneyland. I'm sure it would never take more than 5-10 minutes to walk from there.

Also, I noticed that the shuttles from the neighboring hotels and inns drop off right at the Disneyland ticket gates...a 2 minute walk. :)

It might be worth it to stay at a hotel/inn that offers a shuttle...I don't know your father's limitations, but after a long day at Disneyland no one is in much shape to walk...LOL

We stay at the Desert inn and suites every year and it is at least a good 2 block distance from the hotel to the front gate,even though it is right across the street, the Park Place is 2 doors up from this hotel so the distance is about the same, you do have to cross Harbor Blvd which depending on the time of day can be very busy, especially after closing, and you have to go through the people who are standing and waiting for the parking lot trams. I would advise you to go to a shuttle hotel they bring you a little closer, at least block distance, and they are off on another side than the parking trams.:smooth:

minnieandmickey made a great point...

The trams let you off on one side of Disneyland, while the shuttle busses let you off on another side. The shuttles seem to be only a tad closer though.

The tram area appeared busier than the shuttle bus area for reasons unknown to me.

BW-PP is LITERALLY right across the street. As in, you walk out of the driveway and you're at the crosswalk. Across the crosswalk is the gate to Disney property. About a 3 minute walk from the gate, if that, is the turnstile for Disneyland. You're not even a block's walk from your door at BW-PP to the turnstile at DL, even if you're at the far end of the hotel.

Come over and visit us on the disABILITIES board, and check our FAQ - just click on teh link in my signature. You should also read the post my biggest mistake at WDW which I would think applies to your situation as well. Ask whichever resort you use if wheelchairs are available for use at the resort and the park. Rentals from the park can NOT be taken out of the park, which may be an issue at the end of the day.

Best Western and others are right across the street, but people with difficulty walking will find it a challenge nonetheless.

We stayed at the BW-PP last September, and though I'm sure some things have changed a bit, it's about as good as you can get without being at a Disney Hotel.

Even from the very back of the BW-PP, which is where our room was, you have about 100 yards to Harbor Blvd., which can be very busy. However, the crosswalk is the one that everyone uses, and was quite busy with pedestrians every time we used it in our 4 days.

Once across Harbor Blvd., you have about another 100 yards to where the Trams drop off area is, which is just about as close to the gates as anyone can get before walking.

Thus, your total walking distance from BW-PP to the gates is maybe a bit more than the block that Rajah suggested, if coming from the very back of the Hotel. If staying up front near the office, it's a block at the most.

Also remember that, even though some hotels have great shuttle services, you still have to wait for their schedules, as opposed to going on your own schedule.

I hope all of this info helps you to make the best decision for your family. But I'd have to say, there's no sense forcing any unnecessary walking when there are so many places with good shuttle services. Then again, I've never stayed at any of those hotels...yet...

DH & I are taking a surprise visit to DL in June...I was so unequipped for this! WDW yes, I spend all my free time on research for WDW never thinking I would get to DL.

We will be staying 'across the street' from DL. When I read the motel/hotel descriptions of the area most of them said "across the street from DL". I wondered exactly how big was this street that everyone is just across from it! LOL:D

Well now I know DL runs along side the street so many hotels can be across from it but its the entrance that you really want to be next to.

Here is a map from Mouseplanet that helped me figure out where the more popular hotels are located in regards to DL.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/maps/dl_area/dl_walking_distance_map.htm

I hope this helps.

Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter