What do you wish you would have considered

The longer contract length and cheaper MFs are the two main reasons. I think SSR is easier to get to Disney Springs from than OKW.

I've never stayed at either -- so I can't provide any first hand knowledge.

Keep in mind, even if OKW is cheaper up front, the biggest expense over the life of the contract is the MFs. OKW is currently $6.01 and SSR is $5.44. So SSR is $0.57 cheaper per point per year.

Here's a link discussing the purchasing of either resort.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/okw-vs-ssr.3426069/

As far as which resort you actually prefer -- refer to this link for people's opinions on the two.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-resort-comparison-okw-vs-ssr.3438996/

http://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-okw-vs-ssr.945777/

Things that are the same at OKW and SSR:
  • both have a number of separate buildings that are not connected to the building where you check in
  • both have parking in front of the building you will be staying in
  • both have walking paths to DD
  • both have main pools with slides
  • both have bus transportation to get to all parks and have multiple bus stops.
  • both are located on waterways that lead to DD
  • both have boat service to DD
  • both have studio, one bedroom, two bedroom and Grand Villas.
  • both have fitness centers (although SSR's is larger).
  • both have bell service
  • you enter your villa from each from an outdoor hall
  • rooms are situated at both to not overlook parking lots
  • neither has room service
  • both have washers and dryers in 1 bedroom and larger units and free laundry for studios located by the pools
  • both have "General Stores"
  • both have kind of a pastel color scheme
  • both are DVC and have limited maid service for DVC members staying on points. You can purchase extra maid service at both, if you wish. At both, people who are not staying on points have the same daily maid service as at deluxe resorts.
Things that are different:
  • OKW buildings are 2 to 3 stories, and there are less villas per building. Each individual building at SSR is taller and larger = more units per building.
  • Each building at OKW has a parking area in front of that building, so parking is closer (exception is building 64, where you park in the lot across the street or for the next building down).
  • SSR has several buildings clustered around a large parking lot shared by that group of buildings.
  • All the SSR buildings have elevators. Only the 3 newest OKW buildings do.
  • OKW studios have 2 queen size beds. SSR studios have one queen bed and one double size sleeper sofa. (Someone else will have to answer whether or not any SSR studios have 2 beds like at OKW).
  • OKW individual villas are larger than the comparable villa at SSR.
    SSR studio = 355 sq ft; one bedroom = 714 sq ft; 2 bedroom = 1075 sq ft; grand villa = 2,133 sq ft
    OKW studio = 390 sq ft; one bedroom = 942 sq ft; 2 bedroom = 1395 sq ft; grand villa = 2,375 sq ft
  • Villas at OKW have windows on more than one side because of the way the buildings were planned with irregular shapes. SSR units are more uniformly rectangular and have windows only on the side opposite from where you enter your villa.
  • SSR villas have balconies that are long and narrow, with 2 chairs and a small end table.
  • OKW units have porches that are more square. They have ceiling fans and the one bedroom and larger units have 4 chairs and a table large enough to use for dining on the porch.
  • Bottom level villas at SSR have a patio. Bottom level villas at OKW have the same sort of porch with railings as the higher level units (the only difference is if you look out of a higher level porch, the ground is farther away).
  • OKW has a full service restaurant (Olivias) and a snack bar. SSR has a restaurant with counter service and pre-packaged food (like salads, etc).
  • SSR has a bar overlooking and right by the pool. OKW has a bar close to, but not overlooking the pool.
  • SSR has some rooms with DD views.
  • OKW has full size appliances and the refrigerator has an ice maker. SSR has smaller, apartment size appliances and no ice maker.
  • OKW washer and dryer are full size and are in an actual laundry room. SSR has smaller, stacked washer and dryer in a closet right in the living area.
  • OKW has a "beachy" feel. SSR has more of an outdoor, country theme.
  • SSR's main pool has a zero entry (there is sort of a gradual ramp to enter the pool).
    NOTE for people with disabilities: you can walk or roll right into the pool with zero entry, but the deepest part of the pool is only 3 feet 6 inches. We found that too shallow to take our DD who is disabled into the pool.
    Both resorts have some "bump steps" for transferring into the pool from a wheelchair.
  • SSR has a full spa.
  • SSR has a children's wet play area by the main pool (a sort of splash fountain area). OKW has a children's wading pool and a sand area for playing by the main pool.

Oh, we're staying at Beach Club Resort (not villas) in Jan, not Bonnet Creek - sorry for the confusion!

Now my new plan, after much more reading, is to try buying 125 at OKW. We like DS and enjoyed staying at POR last year, so I think we'll be ok staying there when needed. We're going to be stuck on school schedules for a while, so we'll plan to use those points in April and/or June for a couple of years to try different resorts. I looks like we should be able to try AKV, VWL, SSR, and hopefully BCV studios without too much trouble, based on past threads (subject to change, I know). Also plan to buy ~30 at BLT for a Jan stay there every other year for ~4 nights. Maybe add on 25-30 at BCV or BWV down the road for a long weekend at F/W every other year too. If, after a few years, we've decided that either the 7 mo booking is a PITA or that we definitely want to be near park 100% of the time, we can sell OKW and buy somewhere pricier with a better handle on what we like. Or add on, if it looks like 1BR will be available when we travel at resorts we like at 7 mo out, and not pay the point premium. Seems like a better way to get our feet wet than jumping in somewhere we've never actually stayed for $110 a point.
I like this plan. Buy OKW first the buy then BLT points direct to add back in membership rights. That'll make a difference on tickets (buy AP for June visit and loop it to next year's Apr visit).

Plus. Once room and tickets are paid in advance, it's amazing how sneaking in an extra visit becomes easy.

It does look like some of the very low-priced contracts are getting ROFR'ed, so $65/pt might not happen. Something else to keep in mind, I'll have to take a long look at that thread before I make an offer anywhere!

Difference in dues, and secondarily a longer resale time horizon justify the higher SSR resale price, IMO.

OKW dues are $6.01; SSR is $5.44. That's >10% of a $5 difference in price every year, well over the opportunity cost. Even at $10 extra, the longer time horizon probably is enough to tip the balance for me.

While I had researched both DVC and other timeshare quite extensively before buying DVC, I do wish I would have considered ...
  • Period of time between soft-good refresh and unit maintenance cycles. My other timeshare has a "like new, every time" model for unit maintenance. I sure wish I hadn't taken this model for granted when buying DVC.
  • Disney's genera lack of regard for guest comfort and security.
  • The large gap of disconnect between DVC members and DVC's board of directors. Best I can tell, DVC management and BOD wishes to never hear from us and has no ear for our comments, suggestions or concerns.
  • That "member" simply means I'm a captive wallet.
  • That DVC could make sweeping changes to unit configurations without any responsibility to the 'owner': removal of jetted tub; removal of ceiling fan; shift away from unique "theming" during refresh cycles; etc.
Basically, I'm feeling a string of little disappointments over 12+ years of ownership. Not any one thing is sufficient enough to cause me to sell (yet) ... but the changes add up over time.

I am curious, do other timeshares provide you with access to the BOD. As to DVC I find them very responsive. I have never not had a call returned by the Member Satisfaction team.

What lack of regard for guest comfort and security do you see to be lacking?

As to changes to units, not sure how they can please every member. I for one am very pleased with the new units as are others.

I am curious, do other timeshares provide you with access to the BOD. As to DVC I find them very responsive. I have never not had a call returned by the Member Satisfaction team.

As to changes to units, not sure how they can please every member. I for one am very pleased with the new units as are others.
I've enjoyed great access both "face to face" and via phone/email with the BOD at two of my other timeshares. One such experience resulted in overturning/revising a change to the guidelines that resulted in a far better implementation. Earlier this year a board member handed me her marked-up copy of the budget in response to questions I had raised during the annual meeting. Yes, I'm accustomed to real answers to my questions ... not DVC's goofy pattern of changing things, "In response to member request ..."

As for guest comfort and security -- most of my DVC visits (and DCL too) have been interrupted by maintenance staff barging through. They've entered the room while we are present and while we are away. This violates my sense of "home away from home" and has become, in times, a complete nuisance. Why do they need to step on my vacation or travel time to perform repairs that likely should have been done while the room was taken out of service? No other hotel or timeshare has done this to me -- while DVC seems to take sick pleasure doing it nearly every visit. I wish the DVC rooms were maintained in better condition to avoid having a revolving door of staff coming frequently through our unit.

I think that what we consider a magical escape once a year vacation and a get away from the daily grind, Disney employees consider it just another day at work. Yes many of the face to face CM's try to share the magic, management and executives have other things to worry about and guests are a very small part.

The VP of DVC also is in charge of Adventures By Disney and Golden Oak custom homes so DVC is just a small piece when you are selling 5 million dollar custom homes.

:earsboy: Bill

I've enjoyed great access both "face to face" and via phone/email with the BOD at two of my other timeshares. One such experience resulted in overturning/revising a change to the guidelines that resulted in a far better implementation. Earlier this year a board member handed me her marked-up copy of the budget in response to questions I had raised during the annual meeting. Yes, I'm accustomed to real answers to my questions ... not DVC's goofy pattern of changing things, "In response to member request ..."

As for guest comfort and security -- most of my DVC visits (and DCL too) have been interrupted by maintenance staff barging through. They've entered the room while we are present and while we are away. This violates my sense of "home away from home" and has become, in times, a complete nuisance. Why do they need to step on my vacation or travel time to perform repairs that likely should have been done while the room was taken out of service? No other hotel or timeshare has done this to me -- while DVC seems to take sick pleasure doing it nearly every visit. I wish the DVC rooms were maintained in better condition to avoid having a revolving door of staff coming frequently through our unit.

Are the other timeshares as large as DVC? I have had the opportunity to speak to several of DVC's BOD and found them very responsive to my questions.

As to someone coming in your room, how is that possible if the latch is on the door? I would never stay anywhere in any type of hotel or timeshare with the door not being latched. As to them going in the room while not there, we always leave our Do Not Disturb sign out. We have never had maintenance come unless we called them.

Are the other timeshares as large as DVC? I have had the opportunity to speak to several of DVC's BOD and found them very responsive to my questions.

As to someone coming in your room, how is that possible if the latch is on the door? I would never stay anywhere in any type of hotel or timeshare with the door not being latched. As to them going in the room while not there, we always leave our Do Not Disturb sign out. We have never had maintenance come unless we called them.

I have also talked to several BOD and executives, promised follow ups have never happened and I got the feeling that while they were there for the show, they they really didn't care to be there. In addition to room maintenance and cleaning issues, we have had maintenance come to our room uninvited to replace the refrigerator, HVAC filters, fix the patio door, and we had CM's who wanted to see the view from our room because they wanted to change the view category. On two occasions we returned to our room to find CM's sitting watching TV, housekeeping one time and maintenance one time. I assume that we see more because we vacation more at Disney.

:earsboy: Bill

Our only real mistake, or at least something that we didn't consider was use year. It hasn't effected us, yet.

Oh, and we should have bought much earlier.

Our needs haven't changed and I don't see them changing. Other than maybe buying more points. In the past we vacationed with our son. This year we will go without him. Same with next. It depends on his schedule after that. But either way, we only need a studio.

If they do this, it will be time to sell off all my points.
That's a personal decision, the POS requires them to balance the demand. Obviously they have to have enough info to have trends.

Oh, we're staying at Beach Club Resort (not villas) in Jan, not Bonnet Creek - sorry for the confusion!

Now my new plan, after much more reading, is to try buying 125 at OKW. We like DS and enjoyed staying at POR last year, so I think we'll be ok staying there when needed. We're going to be stuck on school schedules for a while, so we'll plan to use those points in April and/or June for a couple of years to try different resorts. I looks like we should be able to try AKV, VWL, SSR, and hopefully BCV studios without too much trouble, based on past threads (subject to change, I know). Also plan to buy ~30 at BLT for a Jan stay there every other year for ~4 nights. Maybe add on 25-30 at BCV or BWV down the road for a long weekend at F/W every other year too. If, after a few years, we've decided that either the 7 mo booking is a PITA or that we definitely want to be near park 100% of the time, we can sell OKW and buy somewhere pricier with a better handle on what we like. Or add on, if it looks like 1BR will be available when we travel at resorts we like at 7 mo out, and not pay the point premium. Seems like a better way to get our feet wet than jumping in somewhere we've never actually stayed for $110 a point.
Unless you're set on staying mostly at OKW in a 3 BR, you shouldn't have any trouble getting there. SSR will be cheaper long term and present less risk to the dues.

I have had great luck and experiences interacting with the GM's and BOD at various timeshares we've owned and visited. Marriott has meetings for owners at many of their resorts which are working meetings to discuss the resorts, changes, refurb, issues, etc. I've had a number of them give me their direct emails and cell phones. A Bluegreen GM a couple of years ago came and hung out in our villa because they needed to do some work (TV upgrades) and we had plans and couldn't stay. In every case I can think of DVC has fallen behind other options in terms of access. DVC is also the only system I can think of where I'd be concerned an issue that was reported and should be corrected wouldn't get taken care of. How many times have we seen posts here of a maintenance issue that was reported with the promise to take care of it in a certain time frame and it wasn't, in some cases after multiple days and contacts. DVC is reactive rather than proactive. When there are issues they are variable in their response and often over compensate but the don't anticipate well or constantly respond well at the first opportunity.

I have had great luck and experiences interacting with the GM's and BOD at various timeshares we've owned and visited. Marriott has meetings for owners at many of their resorts which are working meetings to discuss the resorts, changes, refurb, issues, etc. I've had a number of them give me their direct emails and cell phones. A Bluegreen GM a couple of years ago came and hung out in our villa because they needed to do some work (TV upgrades) and we had plans and couldn't stay. In every case I can think of DVC has fallen behind other options in terms of access. DVC is also the only system I can think of where I'd be concerned an issue that was reported and should be corrected wouldn't get taken care of. How many times have we seen posts here of a maintenance issue that was reported with the promise to take care of it in a certain time frame and it wasn't, in some cases after multiple days and contacts. DVC is reactive rather than proactive. When there are issues they are variable in their response and often over compensate but the don't anticipate well or constantly respond well at the first opportunity.

And yet I am sure there are Marriot owners and such that feel the same way toward Marriot that some feel about DVC.

I'm guessing that there are several larger than DVC by member/owner count such as: Wyndham Vacation Ownership (WVO), Hilton Grand Vacations (HGV), Marriott Worldwide Vacations (MWV), Bluegreen, Diamond Resorts International (DRI), Interval Leisure Group (SVO + Hyatt), etc. Glad you've had positive outcome from speaking w/ DVC BOD members -- perhaps this reflects a hopeful inflection point in the Club Communications path.

We don't latch every time we enter the room -- especially when some of the group members are still outside the room. Once we were sitting out, midday, on the lanai when maintenance staff entered (not a huge deal -- although they were quite surprised to find us "in" the room). The worst was the fellow who caught me taking a bath when I happened to have the room at BWV to myself. Someday I'll learn to put the darn "do not disturb" tag out ... but my other timeshares never interrupt my time the way DVC does! I'm just not conditioned for folks entering the room.

And yet I am sure there are Marriot owners and such that feel the same way toward Marriot that some feel about DVC.
It's not to say anything is perfect but from a resort management, consistency and planning standpoint, DVC is an also ran and other systems clearly do better consistently. And the worst part is it's all in the areas they have control of. Not only does it take less effort or funds to do things right the first time, it's usually easier to do so. I think a large part of the reason they changed the check in from 4 to "after 4" was because they were giving up on requests as a system. Had they simply decided to accept reasonable requests and not specific rooms or other unreasonable requests and not to change guests because they got what they reserved but still weren't happy, we'd have a better option today. It's the inconsistency that causes me to scratch my head. The refurbishment is another area where they haven't had a good plan historically and they've either planned or made the plans public short notice. Why not have the committee meeting up front of how to deal with any issues. Put it on the website, when people complain, remind them the options they already have (cancel, rebook, 7 mo window, etc) buy DO not give compensation or special considerations. At 11 months might be unreasonable but it certainly should be up a number of months out.

I think we're seeing Disney continues to change the rules for their own benefit. These changes do devalue DVC as a whole in Disney's favor. It's important that DVC not be an emotional purchase. It will likely be better to buy a smaller contracts and then add-on later. Slowly. Don't get bit by the DVC fever. And definitely buy where you want to stay.

I am a big fan of buying SSR resale. The extra 12 years is a huge value IMO. 2042 is not that far away (26 years) and at some point the resorts with a 2042 expiration will start to lose value on the resale market. By buying SSR you get the extra 12 years which if anything should help maintain resale value longer. I own at SSR and I have been able to stay at every DVC resort when booking at seven months. Now at 7 months every resort will not be available every time, but generally you will have a few options. The big exception will be the value/club rooms at AKL and standard view rooms at BWV. Those can be tough to book as an owner at 11 months.

I am a big fan of buying SSR resale. The extra 12 years is a huge value IMO. 2042 is not that far away (26 years) and at some point the resorts with a 2042 expiration will start to lose value on the resale market. By buying SSR you get the extra 12 years which if anything should help maintain resale value longer. I own at SSR and I have been able to stay at every DVC resort when booking at seven months. Now at 7 months every resort will not be available every time, but generally you will have a few options. The big exception will be the value/club rooms at AKL and standard view rooms at BWV. Those can be tough to book as an owner at 11 months.
I am as well but the main reasons center on the fact it's the cheapest long term and essentially no new buyers know what they really want even when they think they do. I'd rather own SSR and it be wrong than a higher end option.

Regarding staff coming and going from room, I always, always, place the do not disturb sign on the door at start of vacation and leave it there for the duration.

It's not like I'm missing daily cleaning service for doing so and I normally wash clothes at least once per trip so even in a studio I can wash my own towels

Even from a theft viewpoint, people are less likely to steal from a room if they think someone might be in there.

Regarding staff coming and going from room, I always, always, place the do not disturb sign on the door at start of vacation and leave it there for the duration.
Yep, I need to learn this habit for when I stay at DVC. I'm spoiled by my other timeshare experiences and really need to pay more attention to my daily practices when staying in the DVC units. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!